1 early week from Preston Brook

Pen n Ink

Featured Posts

So - as a part of our research process we are taking a (deliberately chosen) potentially cold, wet and draughty week on a boat from Claymoore at Preston Brook at the end of March.

The question is - bearing in mind that the idea is to learn about non-summer boating, and obviously depending on the actual weather, which way should we go to give us a choice of either cruising or mooring and battening down the hatches. Pubs essential!

Lots and lots of pubs along the Bridgewater, either canalside or within a short walk.

If you have plenty if time to kill there's the detour down the Runcorn arm, but I would make this a there and back day trip as there's no real decent overnight moorings.

Moore and Walton are bixe places with decent pubs and there's the park and gardens to explore in Walton.

Grappenhall has a couple of nice pubs if you dont mind a bit of a muddy mooring.

Countless pubs and good moorings in Lymm, and nice, quiet 'out of the way' moorings through Dunham.

Sale for shopping and a few pubs - a typical inner city town centre like Stretford.

Manchester is self explanatory really, and taking a left turn takes you out to Barton (Trafford Centre) and onto Worsley, Astley, Boothstown where mooring rings are provided at the canal side pubs.

If you are into Shopping there is Leigh, they have a decent market, lots of shops with all of the big chain supermarkets.

Hope that helps.

Liam

We hired from Claymore 2 years ago (in May) with the intention of going to Liverpool and doing The Link. That route was scuppered by the limited passages into and out of Liverpool. Instead, we went up The Huddersfield Narrow to Dobcross and back - including 2 visits to Stalybridge and Patricroft. This time of year, you won't be able to get that far due to early darkness. We usually aim to cruise until about 7 or 8 pm. Thids time of year, you'll be lucky to go until 5pm.

We hired from Claymore 2 years ago (in May) with the intention of going to Liverpool and doing The Link. That route was scuppered by the limited passages into and out of Liverpool. Instead, we went up The Huddersfield Narrow to Dobcross and back - including 2 visits to Stalybridge and Patricroft. This time of year, you won't be able to get that far due to early darkness. We usually aim to cruise until about 7 or 8 pm. Thids time of year, you'll be lucky to go until 5pm.

He's going at the end of March. There is already good daylight after 5pm so by the end of March that will be greatly increased. Sunset will be 6.30 or so and after 29th March 7.30. There will be over 12 hours of daylight.

Hi Guys, I have booked a boat with Claymoore for this September and the sound of that many pubs sets the saliva going!

Any tips or feedback regarding Claymoore?

Hi mike,

Booked twice with Claymoore and a great company to hire from, I would contact them nearer the time to see if you can pick the boat up as early as they can have it ready, we got our boats by midday both times.

Out of interest which boat have you got?

Hi mike,

Booked twice with Claymoore and a great company to hire from, I would contact them nearer the time to see if you can pick the boat up as early as they can have it ready, we got our boats by midday both times.

Out of interest which boat have you got?

We booked the Cheshire Cat. Funnily enough, the last company we hired from was named Cheshirecat based at Overwater Marina. I always try to arrange an earlier pick up so this time will be no exception.

When we booked with Claymoore, we took 'Consol Forge' The only problem was that it was a Friday-Friday hire, and with work commitments, two of the seven had some difficulty getting the Friday off work, thought it all worked out OK in the end. Absolutely no problems with the boat or boatyard, and I'd recommend them.

The one we've booked hopefully does (Ruby Tuesday) - that's one of the main reasons for us booking with Claymoore for our experiment!

We have booked Ruby Tuesday in the past. Yes, it does have a solid fuel stove. It also has diesel central heating. We had her for a week in November 2010 and were iced in on the Bridgewater for three days. It was the sort of experience we were hoping for to get a real feel for life afloat in the winter. Enjoy!

Ken

We have booked Ruby Tuesday in the past. Yes, it does have a solid fuel stove. It also has diesel central heating. We had her for a week in November 2010 and were iced in on the Bridgewater for three days. It was the sort of experience we were hoping for to get a real feel for life afloat in the winter. Enjoy!

Ken

I moor just round the corner from Claymore so I see their boats all the time and I'm pretty sure Ruby Tuesday is the only one with a wood burner, it stands out as the only one with the chimney. I might be wrong but I'm certain none of the bigger boats do, personally I'd be reluctant to hire a boat without one in winter particularly if I had to pay for the diesel used by the heater on top of the hire costs.

K