New oven

Ange

Featured Posts

I've got an armoured steel flexi hose connecting my gas fridge with compression fittings. Is it supposed to be replaced at some point?

I'm not sure, hence my post #21. I based my earlier comments on a conversation with our boatbuilder. We had a domestic-sized oven fitted and I presumed he would connect it via a flexi hose, however he said that it would be via solid copper pipe, suitably coiled to allow the oven to be pulled out for disconnection etc. He said the trouble with hoses was that they had to be replaced every year on a boat (or was it every 4 years). Anyway, quite often! Whether that is true or not I don't know.

I think if it is an appliance that is not "bolted down" such as a freestanding cooker or fridge, flexi hose seems the way to go to avoid risking pipe damage if the appliance can move frequently. However for an oven installed in a fitted kitchen that cannot move, I would have thought a coiled solid pipe was better and probably cheaper.

When we had our old cooker it was a Flexi rubber hose. We now have a length of 'armoured' hose between the fixed pipe and the cooker coupling. I believe you also have to have an isolation valve.

Martyn

An isolation valve before the connection to the cooker hose is commendable but not a BSS requirement if the cooker is the only gas appliance. I personally recommend that all LPG appliances have a local isolation valve, however, apart from "a single appliance", as I mentioned above, they are only necessary (for BSS) when hoses are involved.

Please, please, please ensure that ALL LPG connections are in accessible locations, including the connection on the cooker.

Edited to improve punctuation

Edited by Radiomariner

I'd have thought a coiled solid copper pipe is far more vulnerable to cracking and a loss of integrity (if the appliance is moved more than once or twice), than a flexible hose.

Well don't forget the (correct type of) copper pipe is pretty soft, and when the oven is screwed into the fitted kitchen why should it move? Would you expect a hob screwed to a worktop to be connected via flexi pipe? Anyway, I'm hoping someone that actually knows about these things will comment!

You may connect a fixed hob or oven either with solid copper pipe, or, if you prefer, the correct pre-made flexible pipes, (not exceeding 1 metre length).

On one of our boats the fixed hob, oven and fridge use flexible hosesm because it would be very hard to install any of it, or remove for maintenance based on fixed copper. However the freely accessed Morco is directly connected in copper, because there is never a need to move it from its fixed location.

I think the following BSS stuff all still applies.....

Flexible hose can be used to connect the installation pipework to
a gimballed cooking appliance to allow for the movement. Other
appliances such as your cooker or refrigerator can be connected
by hose for ease of installation, cleaning or servicing.

Unnecessarily long lengths of flexible hose will introduce
unreasonable risks.

7.9.4/R REQUIREMENT

Are all LPG hoses connecting appliances to supply pipework a
maximum of 1m (39 in) in length?
Measure the length of any LPG hoses used to connect appliances to
supply pipework.
LPG hoses used to connect appliances to supply pipework must not
exceed 1m (39 in) in length.

Thanks for all the input folks. The main problem we're going to find with a normal household cooker is the size of the 'ole it fits into. We can go a bit higher but it can't go more than 550 mm wide unless we (ie Dave) rip out the unit and get a freestanding one. Not sure if you can get freestanding calor gas cookers.

We'll do a bit of shopping around this weekend.

I've got an armoured steel flexi hose connecting my gas fridge with compression fittings. Is it supposed to be replaced at some point?

if i remeber correctly there is a tag attached to it which has a date of expiry on it.

Just woke Dave to check (he's been in bed since 10 so not the happiest bunny in the world) and he said bayonet fitting. Apparently if there's one of them he feels confident.

ETA my marriage isn't in tatters - he got up shortly after for his midnight wee so all is good

If all is good, what happens if he DOESN'T have a midnight wee?

Whats happening there?

Yours, Interested.

I have a wife, and she reads me posts. I'm genuinely interested.

(And would be happy to help with helpful chat. If I can.)

Tee her Dave is the most mild mannered understanding bloke you'll ever find. I was just having a laugh because me waking him up at stupid o clock wasn't such a big deal as he was due to get up for his wee anyway.

Hope this clears up any puzzlement :)

Tee her Dave is the most mild mannered understanding bloke you'll ever find. I was just having a laugh because me waking him up at stupid o clock wasn't such a big deal as he was due to get up for his wee anyway.

Hope this clears up any puzzlement smile.png

Ha ha!

Oh dear. I seem to have erred! I just noticed your number of posts, collected my few wits, and hastily retract my post. In spirit at least, 'cos I can't for real.

Very pleased to see that I was a bit hasty!

Anyway, I apologise, and bow, to having been had, whilst attempting to operate most of my body in a state of intoxication.

Yours,

Me

Edited by Loafer

Ha ha!

Oh dear. I seem to have erred! I just noticed your number of posts, collected my few wits, and hastily retract my post. In spirit at least, 'cos I can't for real.

Very pleased to see that I was a bit hasty!

Anyway, I apologise, and bow, to having been had, whilst attempting to operate most of my body in a state of intoxication.

Yours,

Me

No worries - enjoy the rest of your evening (I'm enjoying a few glasses of vino myself) :cheers: