Electrical Design Program

clbrof

Featured Posts

Personally I would use Turbosketch (probably obsolete now) or a vector drawing package. I use Designworks (also known as Greenstreet Draw) but again they went pop years ago.

However none will do automatic routing or work out cable sizes for you. Both are cheap but not free. As I say, look at any vector drawing package, there must be free ones about.

I've used DesignSpark for mine. Its a free download and I believe its related to RS components (must Never say RadioSpares!)

Its really a pcb layout thing but is also quite good for simple wiring diagrams and not too difficult to learn, an evening should be enough to get going.

.............Dave

I used powerpoint for my wiring diagram. It was a bit tedious where wires cross - you put the top wire at the "front", on top of a small white square with no borders, on top of the wire underneath (at the "back").

PDF output downloadable here...

Just for information. Although I do exactly as you do with crossing wires on diagrams for ordinary boaters I understand that modern convention ha sit that you do not. You mark joints in wires with a dot so not dot will show its just a crossing cable rather than a joint.

Just for information. Although I do exactly as you do with crossing wires on diagrams for ordinary boaters I understand that modern convention ha sit that you do not. You mark joints in wires with a dot so not dot will show its just a crossing cable rather than a joint.

Thanks - that is interesting. I don't think my eye/brain combination can cope with that ....

I use Visio. I'm using a paid for version however there are/were trial versions about. It has libraries of electrical components available, if not you can easily create your own. It also supports dynamic connections which mean that as you move a component it drags all of the wires with it. Where wires cross it shows a bridge.

Visio supports layers - I've used different layers for different circuit which has been very useful to simplify the diagram.

It also supports mechanical drawing and I've used it to draw boat plans and the plans for an extension to my house. (The plans were suitable for submitting to the council to obtain planning permission)

Thanks - that is interesting. I don't think my eye/brain combination can cope with that ....

Well I think the one wire hopping over another convention went out of fashion at least 30 years ago. TBH even if crossing wires are the same colour its not an issue for me as long as the blobs indicating joints are very obvious.

Well I think the one wire hopping over another convention went out of fashion at least 30 years ago. TBH even if crossing wires are the same colour its not an issue for me as long as the blobs indicating joints are very obvious.

I freely confess I am a creature of habit. The last time I did a wiring diagram was indeed 32 years ago .....

Very neat. One presumes the boat wasn't a narrowboat.

Thanks, and yes your right wink.png - it was a Contest 48 cutter rigged sloop in which I sailed over 30,000nm. After I sold it in Antigua, it was sailed back to the UK for the benefit of the new owner by a "professional" crew. Neither they or the new owner noticed that the main Garmin GPS mushroom had failed en-route. The mandatory one in the AIS transponder had taken over seamlessly - quite chuffed about that - another vote for redundancy..