I've just saved £1111 !!!

DaveC

Featured Posts

Just out of interest where are lorry drivers supposed to stop for the night? Precious few lorry parks left these days, unwelcome in towns, very few 'transport caffs', if you are away from the motorway network that only leaves industrial estates and lay byes.

As a poor old pensioner who has worked hard all his life and whose only pleasure is messing around in boats that sort of cost would leave me boatless. However we are fortunate enough to have given up boating in the UK and even with ferry and travel costs we now do our boating where its warmer, cheaper, less crowded and a lot less hassle.

As almost pensioners, living in France, who are in the process of selling their boat in the UK, it would be interesting to know what the costs of boating in France are. The only experience of boating here that we have is one week on the Canal du Midi, which was beautiful but eye-wateringly expensive.

Tax free, how is that done and who pays the £26.18?

It's subsistence allowance allowance, paid by the employer to the employee. Its purpose is to defray the extra costs in involving working away from home, such as meals etc, although there is no obligation to spend all or any of it on anything and no need to provide receipts up to the amount laid down by HMRC, currently £26.18.

I have always believed that overnighting in laybys, especially in "nice" places such as Cornwall, the Lake District or many seaside places is very much frowned upon and will earn you a 3am knock up.

If that is not the case, I may have to change my views on caravanning.

George ex nb Alton retired

Well there has been a van in the layby between Lowestoft and Norwich for well over a year now.

Overnighting is frowned upon within laybys in England and Wales and of course what is the pleasure of being wedged between lorries for the night?

The only place for freedom in the UK is Scotland where the byelaws allow camping in any public areas with a few exceptions.

Of course where the motorhome comes into its own is France where there are thousands of official overnight stops for free or a couple of Euros.

I just found this

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1984/jun/26/parking-of-caravans-on-lay-bys

It's subsistence allowance allowance, paid by the employer to the employee. Its purpose is to defray the extra costs in involving working away from home, such as meals etc, although there is no obligation to spend all or any of it on anything and no need to provide receipts up to the amount laid down by HMRC, currently £26.18.

Thanks

:)

As almost pensioners, living in France, who are in the process of selling their boat in the UK, it would be interesting to know what the costs of boating in France are. The only experience of boating here that we have is one week on the Canal du Midi, which was beautiful but eye-wateringly expensive.

What was expensive about the Canal de Midi?