60' x 9' Slimline Widebeam

livebaboardforever

Featured Posts

9 ft is only a little wider than a normal narrowboat, but will restrict your cruising between north and south canals. The length will also possibly block you on some locks which only fit 57ft boats. A 57ft x 10ft is more the common size, although some go wider...57x12ft, and I know someone who has a 62ft x 14ft.

but, if the price is good, and you're happy with the cruising limitations versus the space etc, go for it :)

This was reviewed in (I think) Waterays World where the person writing the report described it as being based on a narrow canal and gave the impression it is an ideal compromise. The T&M at Wincham is not narrow an this isn't a compromise that will fit narrow canals

It will probably be able to cruise through the tunnels and Dutton Stop Lock from Wincham Wharf but other than that I can't think of many areas a 9 foot boat can go that a ten foot can't, although there are some that a 10 foot beam will fit where a 12 foot can't such as the Great Ouse.

I wouldn't order a boat at this size, but as it's already been built the question is whether it suits you - if it does, go for it

Edited by magpie patrick

Mmmmm!

Benefit of the doubt at the moment but strange how exactly the same post was placed in this thread that was last posted in, in October 2014.

Ah.

I must admit I was slightly suspicious with the wording of the OP's post. Think that has confirmed my suspicions now frusty.gif

You do occasionally come across boats that have been built to this odd 9' beam and has MP says it's so the boat can get through Dutton stop lock. From the yard in question if it was any wider you would hardly be able to go anywhere. Still can't see why anyone would buy it though why not just go to another yard and buy a "proper" w/b.

Also, there's nothing "stunning" about that boat.

Just my opinion, but ours is 10ft. 10inch wide and I wouldn't want it any less, but that's what suits our needs. If you think 9 foot fits your needs as others have said go for it.

Is there a link to see the boat?

ETA - Again, personally I wouldn't go any longer than 57 ft

ETAA- never mind, I found a link for it. Personally I'd say it's a little over priced for what your getting size wise, but that based on what we paid for ours a year ago. But, if it floats your boat so to speak, then you've got your answer

Happy boating

smile.png

ETAAA - I'd think you are getting a lot more for your buck with "Isn't this Pleasant" the other WB they are advertizing, much more interior space with the 2nd bedroom, space for a washer, much more built in storage. And £7k+ cheaper taboot

Edited by Bettie Boo

Hmm. This looks suspiciously like a sales puff to me... but then I'm just a cynical old sod.

Ah.

I must admit I was slightly suspicious with the wording of the OP's post. Think that has confirmed my suspicions now frusty.gif

It was what leapt out at me

Call me cynically suspicious if you like

You do occasionally come across boats that have been built to this odd 9' beam and has MP says it's so the boat can get through Dutton stop lock. From the yard in question if it was any wider you would hardly be able to go anywhere. Still can't see why anyone would buy it though why not just go to another yard and buy a "proper" w/b.

Also, there's nothing "stunning" about that boat.

There is.... it stunningly combines the major limitations of a narrowboat with the major limitation of a widebeam.

............Dave

Mmmmm!

Benefit of the doubt at the moment but strange how exactly the same post was placed in this thread that was last posted in, in October 2014.

I see an old thread, from October 2014, with a post made yesterday by the OP? I'd add a bit of weight to the "benefit of the doubt" side of the scales ....

It was what leapt out at me

Call me cynically suspicious if you like

Dave Massey reckons he has spotted a niche in the market for the widest boats which can be kept at his marina(s) and escape to the outside world.

9' is the max which will pass through Dutton Stop Lock (and thereby to Bridgewater, Rochdale, Leeds & Liverpool etc), though of course they can only go the one way out of the marina ;)

9' to 14' would be able to pass down the lift to the Weaver, but then needs to pass along the Ship Canal to go further afield.

I rather suspected sales puff as well.

Tim

There is.... it stunningly combines the major limitations of a narrowboat with the major limitation of a widebeam.

............Dave

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Yes it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

Apart from navigating through the places already mentioned and perhaps a few others around the country, once you go over 6'10" or 7' wide and you can't get through a narrow lock, then you may as well have a "proper" widebeam.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Yes it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

Apart from navigating through the places already mentioned and perhaps a few others around the country, once you go over 6'10" or 7' wide and you can't get through a narrow lock, then you may as well have a "proper" widebeam.

Is there such a thing?

<DUCKS>

;)

Tim

60' x 9' actually manages to achieve 3 compromises which are avoidable by choosing a more conventional size:

1) too wide for almost all narrow canals

2) too long for northern wide canals

3) too narrow to offer the same amount of space/ambience as the "average" widebeam.

60' x 9' actually manages to achieve 3 compromises which are avoidable by choosing a more conventional size:

1) too wide for almost all narrow canals

Being pedantic, I would say it's too wide for all narrow canals.

The western end of the T&M is an odd size, neither wide nor strictly narrow.

Tim