One week cruise from Tattenhall Marina?

Dyertribe

Featured Posts

Tattenhall is a bit of a distance from any routes I can think of which might class as "lots of locks". The Llangollen canal doesn't. Up and down the Shroppie doesn't really have massive amounts either - although you could maximise it by going to Chester (5 broad locks) then down and up the Northgate staircase (3 more chambers), then up to the beyond Tyrley (6 broad inc. Bunbury staircase 2 chambers, 27 narrow). But that's "only" 82 locks (37 hours or so cruising). Beyond Tyrley, the Shroppie is very flat, with only 1 lock in a long stretch to Autherley junction, where there is a stop lock (ie total 86 locks if you went to the end).

Compare with other week long possibilities (not from Tattenhall though):

Avon Ring 131 locks

Four Counties Ring 94 locks

Stourport Ring 118 locks

Stour Valley Ring 105 locks

Warwicksire Ring 121 locks

MIght I ask, which hire firm is now operating from Tattenhall? I remember it as only having a day hire boat.

PS forgot to mention, don't let the fact that the Shroppie has the shelf put you off - there's plenty of visitor moorings and so long as you don't plan on stopping at daft late hours, you'll not have an issue getting a mooring.

Personally if you've not done either route, I'd go for the Llangollen. Each has its own distincive charm though. The SU is a lovely canal but once you've done it about 20 times, feels a bit like a "motorway" compared to others.

We did the Llangollen last easter weekend and everyone said we must be mad as it would be so busy. Well, we loved it. Yes it was busy and we had a few waits at the narrows and aqueduct but it was really enjoyable. If you want tranquility it probably aint for you. The shelf on the Shroppie can be a pain but it's not insurmountable. Enjoy your trip whatever you decide.

Tattenhall is a bit of a strange place to start from if you want to do "Lot's of Lock's" in a weeks cruising. Realistically, I doubt you would have the time to reach the Ponty, cross it and return within your time frame. The Llangollen is beautiful though. How about trying to go up this, then down the Montgomery. This would require some tight forward planning though.

Enjoy.

I would have thought the Caldon was doable in an energetic week's hire. My personal favourite canal and it won't be busy. Plenty of locks as you'll have to do Heartbreak Hill up and down to get there and back.

There and back (there, being Leek) is 57 hours or so. And don't forget you'll have to plan around Harecastle tunnel too. If you're going to do the Caldon (which is well worth it) 1) hire from somewhere nearer and 2) plan to do both arms - it would be a shame to go all that way and not see both of them.

MIght I ask, which hire firm is now operating from Tattenhall? I remember it as only having a day hire boat..

http://www.jacarandanarrowboat.com/

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and help, seems I've got a bit of thinking to do!

So as we're looking for a goodly number of locks, where do the knowledgeable folks think we should go?

We've done lots around the BCN so somewhere else please.

Oh and what about the Anderton lift?

Anderton lift is a much to do trip although when you get onto the weaver there are no locks for you to do they are all manned.

Try this for size Cairn Hill flight on the kennet and avon.1024px-Caen.hill.locks.in.devizes.arp.jp

Now that's an idea! And you can hire a boat at one end and drop it off at the other!

Isn't the mooring difficult on the K&A?

http://www.jacarandanarrowboat.com/

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and help, seems I've got a bit of thinking to do!

So as we're looking for a goodly number of locks, where do the knowledgeable folks think we should go?

We've done lots around the BCN so somewhere else please.

Oh and what about the Anderton lift?

Have you done Tardebigge? (I know its near BCN).

Now that's an idea! And you can hire a boat at one end and drop it off at the other!

Isn't the mooring difficult on the K&A?

As long as you don't mind using a plank sometimes, it's OK.

You can hire a boat just below this flight (Foxhangers a good company) go up the flight and down again. Takes say 4 hours to do the flight. That photo does not show all the locks - only the main bit.

How about hiring from Shire Cruisers in Sowerby Bridge? They have a number of one way routes e.g. Sowerby Bridge to Ashton via either the Rochdale or Huddersfield canals, with around 100 locks each.

I've just looked at the website and......

By Jove Carruthers you might have cracked it!

Anyone hired with Shire?