A boaty gathering at this time of year?

Ange

Featured Posts

We're moored on the T&M just below Stoke and have seen very little boat traffic in recent weeks. This evening we had a succession go by heading from Stone towards Stoke, a lot of them converted working boats. Anyone know what the event is?

Just curious

The HNBC usually have a new years banter somewhere. last year it was foxton, i was following/going forward of sue cawsons boat from penkridge to hillmorton last year through the storms before Christmas.

Hopefully this year they aren't going to stoke bruerne, as there may be no space for me...

maybe you could ask the owners of whitby they are headed that way ;)

Should I know the owners of Whitby? Sorry maybe its me having a stupid moment - I do get very forgetful of boat names and their owners :)

I believe there is a small get together up that way. I have seen;

Darley

Victoria

Betelegese

Canis Major

Kangaroo

No doubt there are others on this forum who will have more information.

I have also even seen a boat towing another boat through Stone today - its all going on!

Darley

Victoria

Betelegese

Canis Major

Kangaroo

I have also even seen a boat towing another boat through Stone today - its all going on!

The boat towing another was the first to pass us when we got back from Loughborough. We're near the Wedgwood museum so not too far from you

Im further down near the Plume. Wedgewood is too close to my mates....dont want them and their mates round all the time! Nothing like a nice long walk in the cold to discourage them.

Do you know when the museum is next open?

Even nearer than I thought! Presumably your mates are moored with us then - we've been surprised by the number of boats wintering here this year - last year we were on our own. Maybe I should have kept quiet on the forum about what a great spot it is :D

Not sure about the Wedgwood factory - there's a lot of work going on there so I'm guessing it'll be spring before they reopen

I didn't see a boat moving from Wednesday afternoon at the Cape at Warwick, until Monday when I delivered the boat...nothing.

However,looking at the broken and now refrozen ice at Buckby top lock, someone has moved today.

We were expecting ice when we arrived back at the boat today but there was very little. Chuffing cold aboard when you've been away for a few days though!

The HNBC usually have a new years banter somewhere. last year it was foxton, i was following/going forward of sue cawsons boat from penkridge to hillmorton last year through the storms before Christmas.

Hopefully this year they aren't going to stoke bruerne, as there may be no space for me...

There actually was quite a gathering of boats at Stoke Bruerne for a Christmas Meal, which included several "historics", including Coronis, Eridanus & Thea, in addition to the "historics" that actually "live" there.

No idea how long they were staying though.

However this would seem to be different grouping from the one being referred to above.

If any of it is connected with HNBC members, it is not an "official" event as such, though it may be an informal one that happens regularly.

Darley

Victoria

Betelegese

Canis Major

Kangaroo

Somewhere today unconverted motor "Ibex" was towing converted butty "Aboyne". There are pictures elsewhere, but they didn't identify the location.

There actually was quite a gathering of boats at Stoke Bruerne for a Christmas Meal, which included several "historics", including Coronis, Eridanus & Thea, in addition to the "historics" that actually "live" there.

No idea how long they were staying though.

However this would seem to be different grouping from the one being referred to above.

If any of it is connected with HNBC members, it is not an "official" event as such, though it may be an informal one that happens regularly.

I was hoping you'd contribute to this thread Alan as I thought you would be the most likely to know. It sounds like it's a local thing - fair play to them arranging it at a time of year when the canals might be frozen over.

But then that's probably just me with a fear of ice breaking after breaking our drive plate on the Lancaster Canal last time we tried it!

I believe a few old boat owning friends have headed up from Stone to the Caldon for a festive cruise / get together. I couldn't resist having a nosy in on CWDf even from down under.

Cheers, Brian

Back on the beach you, and don't forget the suncream. :-)

George ex nb Alton retired

Im further down near the Plume. Wedgewood is too close to my mates....dont want them and their mates round all the time! Nothing like a nice long walk in the cold to discourage them.

Do you know when the museum is next open?

I passed you today then

We're moored on the T&M just below Stoke and have seen very little boat traffic in recent weeks. This evening we had a succession go by heading from Stone towards Stoke, a lot of them converted working boats. Anyone know what the event is?

Just curious

I passed you today then. They are off down the Caldon for New Year.

I think Tiggers is the lady in the know.

The ice has not been that thick round here, inch at the most, normally quarter to half inch.

Thickest we have seen is about 10mmm

Cheers all - my curiosity is now satisfied :)

Are those photos on the Caldon rupertbear? The ice looks a lot thicker than here, shallower waters?

I hope you waved at Iona when you passed ditchcrawler I would have been at work unfortunately

I was peeking and posting from New Zealand and America Brian - does that make us addicts :) Enjoy the sunshine. I'm not jealous. Honest.

Are those photos on the Caldon rupertbear? The ice looks a lot thicker than here, shallower waters?

At the Hollybush, Denford, adjacent to where the Leek Arm aqueduct crosses the main line of the Caldon to Froghall.

It's been hovering around freezing in the day and colder at night for some days now. If you're in the city that's usually good for one degree or so warmer plus it's a bit higher up. (I could add up all the locks to find out how much but cba to be honest).

At the Hollybush, Denford, adjacent to where the Leek Arm aqueduct crosses the main line of the Caldon to Froghall.

It's been hovering around freezing in the day and colder at night for some days now. If you're in the city that's usually good for one degree or so warmer plus it's a bit higher up. (I could add up all the locks to find out how much but cba to be honest).

We were down that way over Christmas, I was quite surprised not to encounter any ice until I was back on the T&M, as soon as I left the junction at Etruria there was ice all the way across.

Paul Barber was on Whitby, but not part of the jolly up the Cauldon.. He was off to Hopwas and back to Sheet Stores. Beetlegeuse is now owned by a couple of friends of mine, and I think it was an impromptu bit of Christmas boating - a group of young working boat enthusiasts getting out and about :) Lots of night boating, breaking ice, and drinking beer I'd imagine!

Paul Barber was on Whitby, but not part of the jolly up the Cauldon.. He was off to Hopwas and back to Sheet Stores. Beetlegeuse is now owned by a couple of friends of mine, and I think it was an impromptu bit of Christmas boating - a group of young working boat enthusiasts getting out and about smile.png Lots of night boating, breaking ice, and drinking beer I'd imagine!

I would suggest that maybe some of them weren't quite so "young" but still enthusiasts.