Slow cooker or pressure cooker?

Jen_P

Featured Posts

When I was single I used to do a mean chilli in bulk in my pressure cooker. Raw chilli beans take a lot of cooking by conventional means, but under pressure - blasting away - the result was a very tasty dish. Freeze the stuff down and a quick meal when returning from work.

If you want a meal quicker than you thought you would the a pressure rescues you. A slow cooker doesn't. I wouldn't be happy leaving a slow cooker working away all day when I was out (probably over cautious)

Now what about pumpout vs cassette.... About the same proportions for and against, methinks.

Incidentally, porridge made overnight in the slow cooker is fantastic stuff (can't do that in a pressure cooker tongue.png )

Actually, I make porridge in a pressure cooker about 3 times a week. Delicious! 1 cup oatmeal, pinch salt, 1.5 cups water, place in heatproof bowl and stir, stand on trivet in pressure cooker and put about 2 cups water in the base of the pressure cooker. Close lid, switch pressure cooker on and bring up to pressure for 4 minutes then switch off heat source and allow to depressurise. And there you have it - beautifully creamy porridge - add cream / honey/ etc as you choose. And for a real treat - chocolate porridge! Mix into the water two teaspoons of coca powder and stir into the porridge oats, add a tablespoon or so of sultanas for sweetness and proceed as above. Very decadent breakfast!

Slow for me. I have a pathological hatred of pressure cookers. All that noise and steam and perhap my fears are unfounded, but when my mum uses hers I worry about the possibility of pressure valve failure.

The new electric pressure cookers are brilliant - no hiss, no escaping steam - it seems not to be working until the time is up and there is a fab pressure cooked meal there waiting for you.

Actually, I make porridge in a pressure cooker about 3 times a week. Delicious! 1 cup oatmeal, pinch salt, 1.5 cups water, place in heatproof bowl and stir, stand on trivet in pressure cooker and put about 2 cups water in the base of the pressure cooker. Close lid, switch pressure cooker on and bring up to pressure for 4 minutes then switch off heat source and allow to depressurise. And there you have it - beautifully creamy porridge - add cream / honey/ etc as you choose. And for a real treat - chocolate porridge! Mix into the water two teaspoons of coca powder and stir into the porridge oats, add a tablespoon or so of sultanas for sweetness and proceed as above. Very decadent breakfast!

The new electric pressure cookers are brilliant - no hiss, no escaping steam - it seems not to be working until the time is up and there is a fab pressure cooked meal there waiting for you.

Although the slow cooker is getting more votes (and it is on Facebook where I posed the same question to my mates), the pressure cooker is winning. Especially now it turns out porridge can be done in it!

Have had some porridge problems this autumn. Somehow went off porridge completely (it made me really nauseous!) and have now solved the problem by getting Quaker oats instead of Tesco/Morrison's own. They are creamier somehow and go softer.

I have a pressure cooker already but the lid which creates the pressure has broken - I don't know why but it no longer pressurizes up. Wondering if I can just replace the lid or if I have to buy the whole thing!

. Somehow went off porridge completely (it made me really nauseous!)

...and would look exactly the same when it came back up as it had when it went down, no doubt.

But seriously - no one has yet mentioned Scott's Porage Oats which, in my porage/ porridge eating days, I found the best brand. I sometimes ate the oats straight from the packet, with milk and sugar. My mum reckoned that this was horse food and called it "bran mash", but in fact I had probably invented muesli.

I grovel unreservedly ....smile.png .....(but I am not too sure what to make of someone who puts cocoa powder into porridge) unsure.png

I grovel unreservedly ....smile.png .....(but I am not too sure what to make of someone who puts cocoa powder into porridge) unsure.png

Come to think of it, I think I used to stir in a spoonful of golden syrup rather than sprinkling sugar on my porage. This habit I learned from my Mum, not sure if it was a regional thing.

She also never served anything with Christmas pudding except nutmeg sauce. I was amazed when I got into the outside world and found that no one else seemed ever to have heard of nutmeg sauce, It's still the only thing I'll eat on Christmas pudding - I don't enjoy brandy butter, custard or (especially) cream on it, if I can't have my sauce then I'll eat the pud on its own. Am I unusual?

I can't really work out if my old pressure cooker is working or not. I just put a potato in with some water (cold) and put it on the hob for about ten minutes. When I turned it off and turned the knob to release the steam, some steam came out. Not loads though. Not like the old - fashioned ones when I was little that felt like they'd blow the roof off the house. When all the steam was out, I opened it and put a fork through the potato. It's almost raw!

You can tell I'm having a boring weekend can't you?

Edited by Jen_P

Come to think of it, I think I used to stir in a spoonful of golden syrup rather than sprinkling sugar on my porage. This habit I learned from my Mum, not sure if it was a regional thing.

She also never served anything with Christmas pudding except nutmeg sauce. I was amazed when I got into the outside world and found that no one else seemed ever to have heard of nutmeg sauce, It's still the only thing I'll eat on Christmas pudding - I don't enjoy brandy butter, custard or (especially) cream on it, if I can't have my sauce then I'll eat the pud on its own. Am I unusual?

Googling nutmeg sauce produces.......

Loads of variations on the theme

Edited by Bazza2

I think thats putting it mildly......mark you with a signature like that.....smile.png

I have both, the slowcooker is excellent when I'm organised and also good for long slow cooking of cheaper cuts of meat such as breast of lamb. A roast chicken is good too.

For pulses, dals etc the pressure cooker is perfect. It is also excellent for when I need a meal prepared quickly and I'm NOT organised, stews, casseroles etc.

Pressure cookers are not as noisy and scary as they were in my childhood and they are much easier to open than the old fashioned ones.

Look at the Prestige website for the best bargains, I got a stainless steel one last year for £50 sold without a posh box. http://www.prestige.co.uk/prestige-create-57050-6l-stainless-steel-pressure-cooker-810.html

Tomorrow's experiment will be with my Christmas puddings, I'm cooking one in the slow cooker and one in the pressure cooker. I'll report back on the results if anyone is interested.

Alyson

Well, the pressure cooked pudding is done! Looks lovely, smells better. Took 15 mins pre-steaming then 2 hours.

The Slow cooked pudding is still a work in progress as it takes 12 hours so I didn't set it cooking until 8pm as I didn't want to be getting up at some ungodly hour to turn it off!

I never understand the real issues with a pressure cooker. p'raps it's 'cos I done fizicks at skool.

Jen - you need a lorra heat to get the water underneath the trivet to boil before any cooking happens. Then when the steam starts coming out of the vent, you have to reduce the heat somewhat to stop it having a hissie fit when you put the pressure cap on.

The above steps have a learning curve. Those folks who just want to 'load and go' (don't we all) are IMHO those who eventually say 'I can't cope with a pressure cooker'.

It's like working with animals. You don't just get on a horse and say 'gallop on', then wonder why you can't stop the thing.

Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey...

I think you have a good potential solution - Ups to steam on the cooker, bung it on the stove (if lit....) to complete the job. Mind, it'll hiss as you move it.

There's so much meat around that is not popular - 'cos it needs some preparation and should cook slowly - so it's less expensive, but boy! does it taste good when you eat it. Horses for courses - whoops analogy again..

There's so much meat around that is not popular - 'cos it needs some preparation and should cook slowly - so it's less expensive, but boy! does it taste good when you eat it. Horses for courses - whoops analogy again..

You buy your meat from Tesco's, then?

I think thats putting it mildly......mark you with a signature like that.....smile.png

I don't think I've met many "normal" boaters, that's part of the pleasure of boating.

I don't understand the bit about my signature.

I can't really work out if my old pressure cooker is working or not. I just put a potato in with some water (cold) and put it on the hob for about ten minutes. When I turned it off and turned the knob to release the steam, some steam came out. Not loads though. Not like the old - fashioned ones when I was little that felt like they'd blow the roof off the house. When all the steam was out, I opened it and put a fork through the potato. It's almost raw!

You can tell I'm having a boring weekend can't you?

Firstly, if it's old, the gasket almost certainly needs to be replaced (Robert Dyas and lots of other shops sell them - take the old one with you.)

Secondly, to use the pressure cooker - say for potatoes - place the potatoes in the steamer basket (if you haven;t one, just place on the trivet). Add about a mug of water - two if it' a big machine! Place on lid and turn the valve to pressure (or add the weights if it is old fashioned). Switch heat to high and wait for the little valve to pop up indicating that pressure has built up, then for the steam start hissing out from the valve, or from under the weight. Now turn down to a point where the steam reduces but pressure stays high enough to keep the little valve in place. NOW start timing - for potatoes I'd think 5 minutes would be enough.

Switch off heat and move the valve to steam release - and be prepared for lots of hissing and steam flying about! Keep hands / face etc well away from steam... When valve falls and the lid can be opened you should have beautifully tender spuds.

Lots of sites to find out more about pressure cooking, such as this one

http://missvickie.com

or this

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/five-amazing-pressure-cooker-meat-tips-tricks/

and this

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com

Happy pressure cooking!!!

Edited by stickleback

That was an interesting link Gordias....I had never heard of the Mailard reaction before.....any way back to the question.

[...]

I shifted from mostly raw food back to cooking a few years ago (yes I know I'm a food weirdo smile.png and decided to change how I cooked food too (compared to before my raw food period) I switched to cooking most things in a wok, and decided I might as well figure out how to get the kinds of flavors I enjoy in restaurants that I'd previously never managed to achieve at home.

FWIW I started here, which is actually a very useful article even if you don't use a wok:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stir_frying

This led me here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction (same as the earlier link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramelization

The caramelization page isn't very good - this one is better:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/

There's also good information on wikipedia on what happens at/near 100C, like the short quote I took from the "slow cooking" page, but most people who cook for themselves already have a good understanding of that temperature range.

Relevant for this thread: an understanding of the higher-temperature reactions (and the environments and timing necessary to achieve them) helps highlight what you gain and lose with different cooking methods and tools.

As many of the posts in this thread demonstrate, slow cooking at 100C (regardless of the specific containers used) provides (IMO anyway) the best stews (and from cheaper cuts of meat). If I was still cooking meat I'd definitely have some standard (for me) means of cooking that way - quite possibly one of the specialized devices. OTOH it's impossible to make e.g. French Onion Soup or the perfect tomato sauce without caramelizing the onions, so I couldn't limit myself to a slow cooker. Similarly I really like the convenience and flavors of woks (both styles), and steamed food (standard steaming at approx steam and higher temperatures with a pressure cooker).

Of course there's a limit to how many pans and gadgets you can store on a boat, but good food is more important than a larger saloon smile.png

Edited by Gordias