Stove fitting

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Any idea how much it would cost to fit a small sold fuel stove with hearth , a fresh Install so it would need the whole lot done including chimminy fitting ?

Paul.

Need more information Paul.

What sort of boat or is it a boat?

From the instalations I've done you will have little change out of 3K unless you are well into DIY and can cop a good second hand burner.

Check the site for stove instalation info.

Looks like it has central heating which could be Gas or Diesel. use that for a while and decide if you want the dust and dirt from a solid fuel stove. One problem may be the ammount of electic the cental heating uses. That depends on how you run the boat.

Looks like it has central heating which could be Gas or Diesel. use that for a while and decide if you want the dust and dirt from a solid fuel stove. One problem may be the ammount of electic the cental heating uses. That depends on how you run the boat.

I'd rather get solid fuel to keep the cost down as I can get a lot of free logs

I'd rather get solid fuel to keep the cost down as I can get a lot of free logs.

What takes up the time is making a nice presentable hearth and backdrop, tiling or whatever. If you can do that part yourself it would save the larger part of the whole jobs labour cost. It should only take about 3 or 4 hours to install the stove, flue pipe and roof collar.

£3K to install a small stove? It can't be more than about £450 for the stove + £100 for the flue and collar. Perhaps a couple of hundred quid to make a hearth yourself and installing the stove isn't that difficult. I make that around £750 in total - so you can certainly do it for less than a grand if you DIY.

Edit: If you don't want to do it yourself then I think you could still find a competent person to fit it for perhaps £500 - £600. It can't be more than 3 days work (including the hearth) if you have all the stuff ready.

Edited by blackrose

It's a super boat as are the remainder of the fleet. Such a shame to see them on the duck, but I suppose they need a wider audience

Some folks avoid ex-hire boats, but these were at the top end of the market (customer wise).

You could ask the yard how much they'd charge - after all they fitted her out.

BTW the steel hatch over the engine bay makes the engine almost silent.

You should have looked at Poppy, that had a stove....

What takes up the time is making a nice presentable hearth and backdrop, tiling or whatever. If you can do that part yourself it would save the larger part of the whole jobs labour cost. It should only take about 3 or 4 hours to install the stove, flue pipe and roof collar.

I can tile so I think id be ok doing the hearth myself , could you recommend a small stove that would fit where the tv is ?

Cheers

I can tile so I think id be ok doing the hearth myself , could you recommend a small stove that would fit where the tv is ?

Cheers

Put some heat resistant board (e.g. Masterboard) on the walls first before tiling. There have been several boat fires started as a result of wood directly behind tiles becoming hot and charred. Some people build an air-gap behind the Masterboard, but it's not strictly necessary if the gap between the stove and the wall is sufficient. Also, instead of using tiling adhesive use Plumbaflu or another heat resistant silicone to stick the tiles up. It will deal with the vibrations better and also because Masterboard is very porus it tends to suck the water out of tile adhesive before can dry properly so it weakens the adhesive. You can buy plumbaflu from Screwfix. http://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-plumba-flue-silicone-black-310ml/66373

You just grout as normal afterwards with a flexible grout.

I don't mean this rudely but if you got 35 grand to spend on a boat I wouldn't stress about the cost of getting a stove installed...

Who says he's stressing? He's simply asking a question.

Edited by blackrose

Put some heat resistant board (e.g. Masterboard) on the walls first before tiling. There have been several boat fires started as a result of wood directly behind tiles becoming hot and charred. Some people build an air-gap behind the Masterboard, but it's not strictly necessary if the gap between the stove and the wall is sufficient. Also, instead of using tiling adhesive use Plumbaflu or another heat resistant silicone to stick the tiles up. It will deal with the vibrations better and also because Masterboard is very porus it tends to suck the water out of tile adhesive before can dry properly so it weakens the adhesive. You can buy plumbaflu from Screwfix. http://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-plumba-flue-silicone-black-310ml/66373

You just grout as normal afterwards with a flexible grout.

Who says he's stressing? He's simply asking a question.

Cheers pal

Well there are lots of adhesives that can easily withstand the heat of a stove..

Have tiled many a rendered hearth and that would suck in just as quick as masterboard. You can always prime it if you worried about it sucking in to quick. And there are many adhesives that stick and absorb the vibration more so then silicone.

I'm not saying blackroses hasn't worked for him. But just as its my trade I personally would never use silicone to stick tiles....

Well there are lots of adhesives that can easily withstand the heat of a stove..

Have tiled many a rendered hearth and that would suck in just as quick as masterboard. You can always prime it if you worried about it sucking in to quick. And there are many adhesives that stick and absorb the vibration more so then silicone.

I'm not saying blackroses hasn't worked for him. But just as its my trade I personally would never use silicone to stick tiles....

Ah right

It hasn't just worked for me. There are plenty of people on this forum who have used silicone or Marineflex as tile adhesives. It's a fairly well accepted method on boats and far more flexible than any tile adhesive.

Edited by blackrose

#8 Stove fitting: post #8 blackrose

Long Standing Member

Members

PipPipPipPipPip

15,900 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

£3K to install a small stove? It can't be more than about £450 for the stove + £100 for the flue and collar. Perhaps a couple of hundred quid to make a hearth yourself and installing the stove isn't that difficult. I make that around £750 in total - so you can certainly do it for less than a grand if you DIY.

Edit: If you don't want to do it yourself then I think you could still find a competent person to fit it for perhaps £500 - £600. It can't be more than 3 days work (including the hearth) if you have all the stuff ready.

Edited by blackrose, Yesterday, 02:22 PM.

Agree with Blackrose

3 grand for supply of a stove, and instalation! Stove, flue,a days labour to fit installing flue,

and tiling hearth do your self

ALL THE BEST

col

#8 Stove fitting: post #8 blackrose

Long Standing Member

Members

PipPipPipPipPip

15,900 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Edited by blackrose, Yesterday, 02:22 PM.

Agree with Blackrose

3 grand for supply of a stove !!!and instalation!

Stove, flue,a days labour to fit installing flue,

and tiling hearth do your self in total £600 to a £1000

ALL THE BEST

col

I'm looking at fitting a boatman stove. The biggest factor Weill be single or twin wall flue. I will be making the hearth myself to help keep costs down. Hope to be done for 1k but knowing my luck it will probably be more.

Can't wait for a nice toasty boat.

Dave