British Waterways hire brouchure 1960

The Pipe

Featured Posts

Alan's first photo is now a piece of history in itself; it's taken between Braunston Turn and the marina, and the building on the right is the former Tony Redshaw workshop of blessed memory. Tony has now retired and his son has moved to different premises. The red-oxided boat moored alongside looks tasty - no doubt waiting to have a painstakingly restored Gardner installed in the engine hole.

Don't know about the Joshers but there was an ex BW hireboat called 'Kelso' for sale at Harefield a few years ago. It had rather a rudimentary square stern and a riveted bow but it wasn't a Josher I don't think

edit to add

large northwich apparently

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/7160400868/

maybe it was Water Vole? (according to Hairy Neil's list)

I had a vague memory (everything about me seems vague these days ..... huh.png ) of posting something on here once about Kelso.

So after a bit of delving I'm copying and pasting what I found ..........

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Hi interesting to note that you mention Kelso seems that nobody cares too much about the old girl anymore. You say that Kelso was cut down and re-named water buck but another member says it was in fact water vole which I believe to be correct. I recently discovered the name plate water vole whilst working on Kelso which backs up this theory. I brought Kelso a while back and have been trying to find out more about Kelso's history with no joy, if you can tell me anything this would be great. Hi I noticed that you mentioned that Kelso was renamed Water Vole which I believe to be correct. Kelso has been renamed Kelso again and Im the current owner. If you know anything about the history of this boat I'd be very greatfull to know of it no matter how unimportant it may seem. Regards,Woz..

Probably highly unimportant .............. I first came across your boat in the early 80's I was running around in the London area with a pair of small woolwich, when I got into a conversation with Kelso's owners at the time.

They were an elderly couple in the Uxbridge area and seemed to keep the boat on the offside between the lock and bridge at Cowley.

They told me they were from a boat family and had intended to rename Kelso as Southern Cross. Their reason being that someone in the family had once worked Southern Cross. It seemed they'd changed their mind as they had recently discovered that Southern Cross not only still existed but at the time was not far away tied up on the offside near Battlebridge Basin, they seemed quite diappointed about this.

I tried to persuade them that their boat should stay with its given name especially as it was a Town Class built at Northwich by Yarwoods whilst Southern Cross was a Star Class motor built at Woolwich by H&W. This was something that they either didn't know or think was relevant. Still it was their boat, so of course could do whatever they wanted..

I last saw Kelso recently at Braunston, which I guess is where you keep her.

Bulls Bridge. That looks quite likely, with Tam and Di Murrell's old yard (yes it was probably something else in those days) in the background.

I'm sure Tam Murrell would know if thats it.

Only thing is there is a house there, last time I saw it it was fallen down but it was a fairly substantial house and I think it would be visible in that photo, seemed to be further from the bridge than the one visible.

The first one looks a little bit like somewhere on the river Wey but I don't think BW would be advertising hire boats there as it is National Trust - but has it always been?

Looking again I think its probably on the Thames somewhere.

The background seems strange, there are no features at all on the 'bank' the other side. Is it a photo or a montage ?

Looks like the tip of Rod Eyot in Henley on Thames but the background would include trees I think if it is Mill Meadows

It seems quite wide. maybe its Nottingham?

For some reason my head kept saying Browning's Pool, but, even allowing for massive tree growth since, it is nothing like!

What do we think those edges are? Round or half round timbers along the top, or something else?

The absolute straight line edges at the back (maybe a wall?) don't ring true to me - it seems like a photo has been crudely amended to change background detail.

For some reason my head kept saying Browning's Pool, but, even allowing for massive tree growth since, it is nothing like!

What do we think those edges are? Round or half round timbers along the top, or something else?

The absolute straight line edges at the back (maybe a wall?) don't ring true to me - it seems like a photo has been crudely amended to change background detail.

No, you have branches across the back wall so no amendments 'photo shopping' was not so easy in those days. Remember the broucure is for 1960 so the photo has to be at least 55+ years old as it would have been sent out in 1959.

No, you have branches across the back wall so no amendments 'photo shopping' was not so easy in those days. Remember the broucure is for 1960 so the photo has to be at least 55+ years old as it would have been sent out in 1959.

Photoshopping may not have been possible, but otherwise manipulating pictures was actually not that unusual

There are some quite regularly published (much older) pictures that relate to a boat called "White City". In the original, a cloth hangs over the stern, covering much of the "White City" name, but a modified version exists that has "corrected" this, with the full name panel then displayed. (The corrected version is itself very old, not a modern Photoshopping).

Our own collection of studio photos of family members from the late 1800s through into the early 1900s contains several that have been "got at" to change backgrounds, and similar.

alan_fincher, on 06 Dec 2014 - 6:27 PM, said:alan_fincher, on 06 Dec 2014 - 6:27 PM, said:

Photoshopping may not have been possible, but otherwise manipulating pictures was actually not that unusual

There are some quite regularly published (much older) pictures that relate to a boat called "White City". In the original, a cloth hangs over the stern, covering much of the "White City" name, but a modified version exists that has "corrected" this, with the full name panel then displayed. (The corrected version is itself very old, not a modern Photoshopping).

Our own collection of studio photos of family members from the late 1800s through into the early 1900s contains several that have been "got at" to change backgrounds, and similar.

The main advantage is I have the original in my hand and an 8X magnifying glass! I am beginning to think the boat is actually in a wharf area and the main canal is opposite where the white edging ramps off the water carries on to the right.

Edited by Jim Evans

I wonder what the Parsons 'Scampi' engine was? Probably a petrol engine.

The Goosander was. I think, an Armstrong single and the 20hp Parsons engine will be the Merganser, or Armstrong twin.

Tim

As I understand the Parsons Scampi was a marinised version of the 4 cylinder petrol engine fitted by Ford in their Anglia 105E.

The Parsons Goosander was based upon a 10hp single cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS1 diesel engine.

The Parsons Merganser was based upon a 20hp two cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS2 diesel engine.

The Parsons Peregrine was based upon a 30hp three cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS3 diesel engine.

pete harrison, on 07 Dec 2014 - 7:59 PM, said:

As I understand the Parsons Scampi was a marinised version of the 4 cylinder petrol engine fitted by Ford in their Anglia 105E.

The Parsons Goosander was based upon a 10hp single cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS1 diesel engine.

The Parsons Merganser was based upon a 20hp two cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS2 diesel engine.

The Parsons Peregrine was based upon a 30hp three cylinder air cooled Armstrong Siddley AS3 diesel engine.

I would question that it was based on the Anglia 105E (Kent engine) as that car only came out in 1959 and the booking form for the brouchure is 1960 which puts the printing date 1959, I doubt if a maranised version would appear instantly and be fitted by BW.

I have found it in the 'Engineer magazine' of 1958 and it is based on the Ford 100E petrol engine. Which means it was a fairly new installation in that boat.

Edited by Jim Evans

I would question that it was based on the Anglia 105E (Kent engine) as that car only came out in 1959 and the booking form for the brouchure is 1960 which puts the printing date 1959, I doubt if a maranised version would appear instantly and be fitted by BW.

I have found it in the 'Engineer magazine' of 1958 and it is based on the Ford 100E petrol engine. Which means it was a fairly new installation in that boat.

100E / 105E - I am afraid I do not know the difference, and I do not really care - but I suspect it will be something to do with the valve arrangement (side valve / over head valve).

The fact remains it is a period small capacity 4 cylinder Ford petrol engine, something that nobody else had highlighted in this thread captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Ford didn't just produce engines for cars, Ford engines based on what we know as the "Anglia" engine can be found on many items ranging from Gensets to pumps. "Watermota" used Ford engines early on marinised to produce marine power units.