Repainting the exterior

Featured Posts

How much cost / work would be involved in repainting the exterior to say a 50 -55ft boat?

We have seen one that looks nice inside, but I HATE the paint work outside, it's putting me off even going to see it.

Is it a big job? One you can do yourself or do you want professionals to do it?

Hi, If you do it yourself you are looking at 2 weeks or so of prep and painting I did my 60 foot NB in that time a few years ago. That was a simple paint job cream roof green sides with cream border cost about £200 for materials from my paintshop around the corner (I have a garage) THe tools and brushes etc were extra. A professional job can be upwards of 5 grand depending on the condition of the boat

Peter

Someone posted this video recently in a thread here on CWDF, it may give you an idea of the work involved.

If go DIY, don't underestimate the job, and don't expect a decent finish like the pro's with heated tunnels will be able to get.

Edited by Robbo

I've jointly painted one boat a couple of years ago and this spring I paid to have my own boat painted. Both are 55ft narrowboats:

The one I worked on was in two colours, it took one week. The costs were the paint (top coat and undercoat), brushes and rollers, 2x electric sanders, miles of masking tape, a gazillion sanding sheets, goggles, face masks and ear defenders, some scrapers and paying for a week in covered wet dock. The job really is 90% preparation. It was incredibly hard work for two people - very hot, and very very very dusty. There are numerous 'little' other prep jobs to do first - either masking or removing vents and windows, and deciding whether or not to remove doors and hatches to get access to all the nooks and crannies along with repairing any little broken bits (there were wonky rear hatch runners that needed fixing). The other decision point is whether to do areas such as the front well deck, inside the gas locker (and any other lockers - sometimes it's not easy to decide where the outside of the boat ends and the inside begins).

I know some people are happy to work on painting a boat outside in good weather or parking it under a motorway bridge, I tried outside on my own boat - and managed to get the roof done - but it took ages waiting for the right weather, or rather waiting for gaps in the bad weather - but even then there were constant flies and bits of leaves and stuff landing on it - I gave up after doing the roof.

When I had my own boat painted this spring it was done in a covered dock over three weeks - in six colours (Mason's paint) and included signwriting - total cost £2500. This included the prepwork, I asked for the windows to be removed (but not the portholes) but otherwise it was fairly basic job (i.e. the mushroom vents were left on and the insides of lockers and doors were left untouched - I later did those myself). I also took it upon myself to replace the door lining panels during the work and to renovate the cratch frame, and I cleaned up the frames of the windows. I'm under no illusions about it being a top quality bare-metal job - but my boat was in desperate need of some paint to stop the rust (especially the gunwales) and I'm happy with the results (although I did also take it upon myself to refit the windows to be sure they went back in ok).

Personally, if found the DIY route really really hard work - I think it is essential to do the work undercover to get decent results. If you pay to have the boat painted I'd suggest you will want to agree very carefully beforehand the extent and specification of the work you want done - and you could end up paying anything up to £15K at the top end (from what I've heard), I'm guessing £2500 is about the cheapest.

LC x

Oh, and my boat *after* the paint job

Afterpaint_zpseb903794.jpg

(I take full responsibility for the colour scheme - I realise most people don't like it but hey ho ...)

Edited by Lady Cassandra

My 50 foot cruiser stern, at 9 years old, and never polished was in need of sprucing up.

I had tried to keep on top of any rust by applying Vactan as soon as a rusty patch appeared, so although tatty, the steel was in good order.

Repeated quotes of 5 to 6 thousand pounds for a car-like glossy finish just seemed like a waste of money, considering the things that narrowboats are subjected to, so I held off until Cheshire Rose of this forum put me on to Robert Naghi from Nottingham, who painted the boat, including artwork for £1600.

That was a year ago, and glad to report, all is still just dandy.

Best of all, because it doesn't have a perfect finish, it is relatively easy to patch, such as when, first day out we were rammed by the Foxton trip boat whilst sitting on a water point.

I think the biggest advantage is that whilst the boat now looks smart, it hasn't made me a shiny boater, precious about not scratching or bumping it, so relaxed cruising is still the order of the day.

As someone working in the painting business with a good few boatyards, I think you've been given good advice by what has been posted so far. If you decide to have it done professionally, bear in mind that many yards have long waiting lists, 6 months to a year is usual, some longer. You'll need to live with the old scheme for a while! I'd advise that all windows, mushrooms etc are removed, I've seen many boats with paint problems underneath. If they are left, you stand a chance of spoiling a new job somewhere down the line.

PM me if I can help further.

Dave

Thank you everyone for your comments - super helpful. I think, as I'd go down the professional route and 1. don't feel the boat is worth spending more than a few thousand on redecorating on top the purchase price, and 2. I could have to wait months for it to happen I shall probably pop that boat in the no pile.

Thank you everyone for your comments - super helpful. I think, as I'd go down the professional route and 1. don't feel the boat is worth spending more than a few thousand on redecorating on top the purchase price, and 2. I could have to wait months for it to happen I shall probably pop that boat in the no pile.

I would still go and see the boat, it may be still a very suitable boat and I wouldn't be put off be a paint job as it's one thing that is fairly easy to change! After all, you wouldn't or shouldn't be put off a house just because the garden was overgrown.

I would still go and see the boat, it may be still a very suitable boat and I wouldn't be put off be a paint job as it's one thing that is fairly easy to change! After all, you wouldn't or shouldn't be put off a house just because the garden was overgrown.

No, I understand where you are coming from, but I just think it's hideous, and the cost to put it right makes the boat seem over priced to me, when I could get one I do like without spending the extra immediately repainting it, or I could put that money repainting and look at a slightly more expensive boat.

No, I understand where you are coming from, but I just think it's hideous, and the cost to put it right makes the boat seem over priced to me, when I could get one I do like without spending the extra immediately repainting it, or I could put that money repainting and look at a slightly more expensive boat.

You can always offer less for it. A quick paint over with a roller even though rough to change the colour can be done and then a proper job later when more funds allow.

What's the matter with it, L? Is it pink with yellow dots on? As suggested above, if you can get the price down, what you save could pay for a budget-end pro paint job, which brings me to...

Robert Naghi, mentioned above, also painted Trojan. He is not the world's finest boat painter (at least two of those post on here!) but his charges are moderate and you get good value for your money. You may just have a few splashy bits to get rid of when he's finished.

Lady C, yes I do like your new colour scheme. Pop round and do ours when you have a day off, will you? The yellow lines around the recessed panels are an especially nice touch.

What's the matter with it, L? Is it pink with yellow dots on? As suggested above, if you can get the price down, what you save could pay for a budget-end pro paint job, which brings me to...

Robert Naghi, mentioned above, also painted Trojan. He is not the world's finest boat painter (at least two of those post on here!) but his charges are moderate and you get good value for your money. You may just have a few splashy bits to get rid of when he's finished.

Lady C, yes I do like your new colour scheme. Pop round and do ours when you have a day off, will you? The yellow lines around the recessed panels are an especially nice touch.

I'd love a pink boat! Hubs may not well stay my husband very long if I did that though.....

It has been on the market a while now (since I first started this whole journey at least) So price may well be negotiable. I suppose I should go see it first, as it could be a straight 'no' anyway.

hummmm you may have convinced me.... can't hurt to look.

If the hull style (and more importantly if it's in good condition) and the interior are right then I would put it on the list. The paint work is the easiest of those three main things to change!.