from bray to london - ideas & advices please

ludo

Featured Posts

Hi
Im happy i got my first boat!
Now i need to get it from Bray Marina to London Hackney marshes.
I have an experienced boater who ll gimme a crash course to manuver the boat and 2 volunteers friend to join.
My question is what s the best route, safest, easiest, shortest in yr opinion? If those ajectives go together..
boat engine is a ford anglia/Watermota Petrol (35hp) [edit] > how does that do on the thames?

I intend to go on saturday this week.

Edited by ludo

Be aware of the extra problems with petrol fumes in a bathtub (your boat). No pilot lights or smoking while refueling and earth the petrol filler neck to prevent static sparks. One boat burned out at Newark Marina from just that problem. There should be a sparkless ventilation fan to purge the engine bay. Check the state of the river for flood risk and time your arrival at Limehouse (phone them for a locking time) Turn and head into the current before the lock in order to keep control. Then an easy run up to your mooring.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Check engine, check cooling system. check you have fresh fuel.

Do not leave without a suitable sized anchor and sufficient chain.

Do not leave without a lifejacket for each person aboard.

Ideally have VHF radio for on the river.

Check the state of the River (red-boards ?) and stoppages - you may not be able to complete the journey for some weeks, so it may be better not to start

As a newbe to boating, I would not recomend the full trip down to Limehouse. Especially in an unknown boat. The entrance in to Limehouse lock is challenging for even the most experienced skipper

Trouble is there's a lot of stoppages on the regents, hertford union etc: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/static_maps/London_A4.pdf

You should have a clear run between Christmas and New Year to go via Brentford

Edited by Proper Job

Hi

Im happy i got my first boat!

Now i need to get it from Bray Marina to London Hackney marshes.

I have an experienced boater who ll gimme a crash course to manuver the boat and 2 volunteers friend to join.

My question is what s the best route, safest, easiest, shortest in yr opinion? If those ajectives go together..

boat engine is ford petrol inboard 9.9 > how does that do on the thames?

I intend to go on saturday this week.

Several locks on the Thames are currently closed for maintenance

Ford Inboard 9.9?

if this engine is Ford based and of less than 1 Litre capacity,it must be elderly,so get it checked out by a competent Engineer.

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Have you considered getting the boat taken down on a trailer?

As a newbe to boating, I would not recomend the full trip down to Limehouse. Especially in an unknown boat. The entrance in to Limehouse lock is challenging for even the most experienced skipper

I'll second that. I've done it several times and it still scares the hell out of me. In my 58ft barge which is 12ft wide with a 90hp engine :rolleyes:

probably easier in a smaller boat to be fair

23 x 9ft grp cruiser...

hmm. going to need a big trailer actually

Railcraft? I think thats meant to be Relcraft. I think they are quite seaworthy boats actually.

all under the assumption that the op has this boat http://canalplan.org.uk/boat/23841

actually its probably not that boat please ignore rolleyes.gif

Edited by magnetman

Dont have the budget. Have to do it on water.

Its a freeman 22 Mk 1 narrow version, Magnetman.

Very drivable boat as Im told by new and experienced boaters.

I will have had a few days navigating it by the time i get to Limehouse Lock and could get help for this bit.

Freeman 22? Lovely boats very nicely put together :)

They can deal with the whole river from source to sea but you would want to make sure the engine is ok. As you say the run down from Bray would be enough to give you an idea of how it all goes.

I think you may have trouble because there may be lock closures - you have probably checked this already

Yes that boat feels strong and comfy despite its old age.

The engine has been maintained yearly by a boat mechanic, it sounds like a swiss clock and is well responsive..

I am in the process of checking the locks (thanks for the link Proper Job) > https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/static_maps/London_A4.pdf

I am gonna have to get it out of the marina by saturday though.

Yes that boat feels strong and comfy despite its old age.

The engine has been maintained yearly by a boat mechanic, it sounds like a swiss clock and is well responsive..

I am in the process of checking the locks (thanks for the link Proper Job) > https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/static_maps/London_A4.pdf

I am gonna have to get it out of the marina by saturday though.

I'm afraid Romney lock (Windsor) is closed until 20 February. See here.

I think you might find someone who would be able to take a Freeman 22 down on a trailer behind a 4x4. Just about. Not 100% sure on it but its worth asking round at the marina and other places smile.png

A low loader is going to be very expensive sad.png

Other than that you could leave it in the marina or possibly call individual Thames Lock keepers (phone numbers online I should think) and ask if there is any space in their lock cuts - some locks will allow you to moor for a fixed weekly fee something like £30 a week for a boat that size (don't know the exact cost).

With Romney and Boulters being closed you are a bit 'hemmed in' so maybe best to just pay the marina and keep it there.

I think it'd be worth trying Bray and Boveney Locks as there is a faint chance they may have space for a boat that size close to the lock if you explain it is just for storage until Romney reopens. It might reopen early.

A marina is obviously going to be a bit more secure.

edit to clarify bit about lock keepers

Edited by magnetman

Have a look at this (Its someone who can take the boat by trailer, despite the website name)

http://www.tonytugboats.com/index.html

Based in Milton Keynes apparently and they might be moving boats around so you might get a deal with a return journey, possibly ? worth asking I reckon.

They do Freeman cruisers smile.png

Edited by magnetman

Sorry being a prat. when I say return journey I mean they might be taking someone from London towards the Thames Valley so their boat would be the return journey and your boat would in fact be the inward bound journey which may otherwise involve a trailer with no boat on it...