Hillmorton top pound empty

c c

Featured Posts

The top pound at Hillmorton Locks was empty this morning. Not unusual as the recent repairs to the top locks are effective and the bottom locks still leak. What is startling is that I remember some years back when the bottom pound was empty that a whole stack of fish of all sizes were flapping about trying to survive, and it was rewatered in time for them but today, I could not see any sign of any fish of any size. In fact there was no signs of any life at all in the water. It can't be overfishing as some minnows would surely escape the hook. Can't be Zander eating them all or there would be some well fed Zander flapping about. Is it chemicals from farmland?

Surely if that were the problem, the bottom pound would be empty also, or at least emptying?

I suspect he means the upper pound between the top and middle locks. If the pound above the top lock was empty, there would be a huge fuss from Hillmorton to Braunston, Napton and Calcutt

Richard

I suspect he means the upper pound between the top and middle locks. If the pound above the top lock was empty, there would be a huge fuss from Hillmorton to Braunston, Napton and Calcutt

Richard

That's also a sh1t load of water to 'loose' blink.png

Richard

Yes, I am sure you are correct Richard. There was plenty of water in the Calcutt/Napton/Hillmorten pound at 3pm yesterday, when I left for home.

I suspect he means the upper pound between the top and middle locks. I

Richard

"top" = "upper"

So is it?

as you said - "emptying".

Except we let water in at the top.

My point was actually about the lack of fish.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the menus at Canal Chef's establishment.

The Hillmorton Top Pound sounds like a desirable unit of currency, just as the Weston Super Mare sounds like a very large horse.

Edited by Athy

My point was actually about the lack of fish.

I've been walking that stretch of towpath for years and I don't recall ever seeing anyone fishing the top (upper) pound. Just to clarify, I mean the pound between locks 4/5 and 6/7. Perhaps the local fisherfolk know something the boaters (and Chefs) don't. Perhaps there aren't any fish in there?