New boat anyone?

kris88

Featured Posts

Nice spoof (one of several apparently, see http://rt.com/news/209419-mistral-sale-humorous-ad/) but some of the answers in the Q&A weren't played with a totally straight bat as they should have been for maximum comedy value; the beam would be over 6m and I don't think the seller knew where Braunston is.

The background is that the French built this and a sister ship for sale to Russia, hence its name, then decided a few days ago not to, as a sanction arising from the Russian presence in Ukraine.

Meanwhile the eBay seller who has a good previous history of buying and selling low value items seems to have suddenly stepped up into the big time, or more likely had their account hijacked, apparently by an American judging by the spelling and grammar. The latest item on the feedback is from someone who bought some perfume and says:

Haven't received my item, and now not replying to messages. Stay well clear Buyer:
e***1 ( 3 )
During past month Prada Candy L'Eau 80ml EDT Spray For Her Women's Fragrance (#251719446310)

I was considering a bid until I realised that I would be responsible for postage.

Royal Mail is snowed under, coming up to Christmas, so heaven knows when I might receive it.

It's somewhere along the French coast, Calais according to the eBay ad, and can do 18.8 knots; see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ship_Vladivostok_(2013)

so just as if you were buying a boat from Whilton for use in, let's say, London, you could save the postage cost and cruise it to your chosen location yourself. It would probably usually have a crew of a thousand or so, but you could do without the optional soldiers etc., and I suppose a skeleton crew of about 50 could manage it. You can pick any old weekend for the Channel crossing as your new boat laughs at bad weather, so start a topic in Crew Swap and ask when most of the forum are available. As a new boat it should have all the right safety documentation, but do be sure to budget for insurance at Lloyds and a lot of diesel, and of course a nice big Red Ensign flag. You won't need a CRT licence because your boat wouldn't fit into any of their waters; Length 653ft, Beam 105ft, Draught 21ft. It will however fit through the Thames Barrier, and there are some big docks on the Isle of Dogs, so a London mooring is not physically impossible. Be kind to the Woolwich Ferry as you go past.

Want one ! However, I simply couldn't manage without a pram hood on such an exposed cruiser stern.

Any recommendations to supply & fit ?

This boat is actually the fourth of its design, the French Navy have the first three. If you miss out this time on eBay, the French have a sister ship Sebastopol under construction. If the embargo on selling these to Russia continues, and France can't afford to finish the fit out due to its huge debts, it might come up cheap as the ultimate in project boats.

You don't really need a pram hood because you'll have a large weatherproof bridge with excellent all-round vision. Do bear in mind that it doesn't fold down, so air draught is a bit of a problem.

This looks like a good investment no issues with space really so I'd have somewhere to store my motorbike; only thing thats stopping me putting a bid down is I'm a bit concerned about the tax; anyone got anything comparable or previous experience with boats that size and tax? (they say in the Q an A its ok on inland waterways as long as you dont have to turn it.

Edited by jenberi

This looks like a good investment no issues with space really so I'd have somewhere to store my motorbike; only thing thats stopping me putting a bid down is I'm a bit concerned about the tax; anyone got anything comparable or previous experience with boats that size and tax? (they say in the Q an A its ok on inland waterways as long as you dont have to turn it.

If the seller is the genuine owner (and something tells me he/she isn't), it's a real bargain for the right buyer.

There are no issues with space; it may not have a place specifically designed to store a motorbike, but as the seller is not including the 16 helicopters you should find a spot somewhere aboard. The picture was taken at sea, so the gangplank is not shown, but I'm sure they'll throw one in.

Tax is the least of your worries, as although VAT is payable on a new boat, the eBay price will include VAT, which your company can reclaim if the boat is being bought by a VAT registered business. Yachting and Boating World is perhaps the better forum for this question: http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-306270.html

As I mentioned before, you don't need a CRT licence because, contrary to what the seller is trying to imply in the Q&A, the boat IS too big to reach any CRT waters. The nearest you'll get to inland is probably the Pool of London, Southampton Docks, Bristol, Hull or Liverpool. You can't even fit into the Manchester Ship Canal, I just checked.

However, you may have to pay quite a lot of Income Tax and NI if your crew are paid employees (see my previous post; 160 to 177 people) and the boat is registered in the UK. But the world is your oyster in such a seaworthy boat, as you can shop around about 200 countries for the right low-tax flag of convenience and crew. Or use the Crew Swap sub-forum.