Running engines

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

What is it with running engines? I am spending a single evening on my little boat in Berko and the third boat this evening is still running it's engin. The whole evening I have had to listen to someone's engin, it is now almost 9pm! Come on people. Hush please.

Rant over. So much for the peace and quiet of the cut!

Gets dark earlier - extra load on the batteries, TV, lights, computer - just got home from work/Church and need to charge the batteries for a few hours longer than normal.

No excuse - don't run engines between 8 & 8 unless cruising.

Rant justified !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

So what is the engine rule again?

I know it's no engines 8pm to 8am, but there's a caveat isn't there? Even in daytime it's only OK provided it's not disturbing others, or something like that...?

I find it bloody annoying too. What ar these people on? Its bad enough being moored near a boat with the engine running for hours on end, let alone sitting inside one!

MtB

No silent way to charge batteries if on towpath. Anyone suggest how this can be achieved.

Unless every boat cruises daily then there will be engines or gennnys running.

8_8 rule is for comfort of us all but daytime batteries need charging and in busy places this is likely to be near other boats.

No silent way to charge batteries if on towpath. Anyone suggest how this can be achieved.

Unless every boat cruises daily then there will be engines or gennnys running.

8_8 rule is for comfort of us all but daytime batteries need charging and in busy places this is likely to be near other boats.

This IS the answer!!

MtB

You do that.? Never stop anyplace for a few days?

Surely not so how do you avoid charging batts. Unless you never stop near other boats.

Not trying to be funny in anyway just interested.

I take care to moor out of earshot of other boaters if I plan to run my engine when moored. Plus solar panels, decent batteries and the fact that I tend to always cruise every day when on the boat (even if only a bit) means I rarely need to.

In addition, I tend to get complaints from other boaters when I stop my engine. I actually had a group of three boaters approach me once saying "Hey why did you stop it? We were enjoying listening to that!" (It's a Kelvin. Lovely!)

MtB

OK just one of many types of boater. I do think though a large number run engines to charge and if before 8pm then I like a lot of others accept it. Myself I generally like to be far from other boats so as not to annoy anyone even though I have a right to run till 8 pm, just don't,y want any conflict with others.

Thanks for your explanation.

• Greenie 1

OK just one of many types of boater. I do think though a large number run engines to charge and if before 8pm then I like a lot of others accept it. Myself I generally like to be far from other boats so as not to annoy anyone even though I have a right to run till 8 pm, just don't,y want any conflict with others.

Thanks for your explanation.

But do you though? A right to run the engine before 8pm even if it is causing a nuisance?

You sound like a considerate boater who wouldn't do this, but I'm not sure about a right to do it. I'm just interested to find out the detail of the rule as I can't find it. Not sure where to look actually.

MtB

So now apart from the 14 day rule i have to cruise every day when i get home from work .

Well taking the same silly approach, you don't give a damn about the noise you create when you get home each day and your neighbours can just shove it, yes?

ninja.gif

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

MtB

No i try to be as quiet as i can .but i need to run a genny as do most people .I moor away from the crowd if i can bought the best genny i could afford and run it for the shortest time i can.

Well in that case I can't imagine you causing a problem. Lots of boaters show no such consideration.

MtB

No - just turn your engine or generator off by 8pm - simples.

The other option is of course, just run your engine all night, get complaints, and C&RT enforcement action.- your choice

Not sure it is an enforcement issue but could be wrong. I do however think enforcement officers are a bit short on the ground at 8 PM based on the fact that they can not even enforce boat movement properly during daylight hours hate to think what would happen if suddenly they started on late running engines Edited by cotswoldsman

Not sure it is an enforcement issue but could be wrong. I do however think enforcement officers are a bit short on the ground at 8 PM based on the fact that they can not even enforce boat movement properly during daylight hours hate to think what would happen if suddenly they started on late running engines

An exceedingly good point !!!

I have had the dubious pleasure of mooring next to a boat who ran their engine:

0700-0730, some time during the day, then from 1600-2300, regularly.

Yes it got on my nerves a bit.

Unfortunately we were travelling in the same direction and have met several times.

One time I thought - Aha! - I will moor several (uninhabited) boats behind them only to find that their engine vibrations caused the Armco to vibrate in sympathy and the sound of their engine was transferred along the metalwork.

Eventually I had an opportunity to speak to Mrs Boatowner on a very informal and light-hearted manner to ask if they had a problem.

The reply came that:

Their batteries were knackered, they could not afford to replace them -

Their daughter was on board and insisted on curlers/straighteners/microwave/computer/printer/laptop/wifi/shower/hot water etc., the list went on...

I moved on and left them there, but they have caught up with me again!!! Grrr!

Colin

Although my engine is not the quietest model, I have found that as long as I keep the engine room doors closed, the exhaust beat is inaudible from thirty paces away. So, as the majority of boats have modern engines which run much more quietly than mine, and as most people who are aboard their boats in the evening probably have a telly, a radio or a music system going, I am amazed that such running of engines causes discomfort and annoyance.

I would add that I generally do turn off the engine at or before 8p.m. except for the odd occasion when we are moored MFN.

I would add that I generally do turn off the engine at or before 8p.m. except for the odd occasion when we are moored MFN.

Ah my favourite spot.

We have a cocooned genny that one you close the boat up, you cannot hear outside 10 paces from boat - blooming luxury.

This IS the answer!!

MtB

Provided you have a well specced boat and battery bank there is no need to cruise every day or run the engine for hours on end frusty.gif

We can manage three days without having to run the engine to charge the batteries.