Moving My New Boat

HistoricSlunk

Featured Posts

Guys, I think we need to go a bit easy here. It might all be obvious to us but as the OP says, he's a newbie on a very limited budget. He came here to ask for some advice and has received a fair bit of mickey taking and sarcasm. You might say he should have done more homework first, but he hasn't actually bought the boat yet and that's why he posted here, to get some advice.

As far as the latter goes, and if you are serious about buying a boat on what is a very very very tight budget, I would stop the bus, forget about the one in Pontypridd, and do a lot more reading first (about licensing, BSS, mooring options etc). This forum is as good a place to start as any, just browse through the threads, FAQ etc. The other bit of advice I would give you is not to just consider the initial outlay, there will be an annual cost (even if you keep it in your garden), so please factor that into your calculations and feasibility.

When I first started out I researched for over 2 years, including visiting many boatyards to look at options, before finding the right boat. I hope you find what you're looking for, but remember the old saying: buy in haste, repent at leisure!

Edit: thumbs

Edited by Kendal
  • Greenie 2

IMO that's an old boat once fit for fine weather coastal fishing. For liveaboard use you will be saddened by the amount of outdoors space that is to cold to occupy in the winter, also the state of fitout in the cabin means probably several weeks with tools and time to bring the cabin to habitable. even then you only have half a boat to live in and half outside in the cold and rain.

If the trailer is in the same condition then it's probably not roadworthy to trail that boat anywhere

IMO that's an old boat once fit for fine weather coastal fishing. For liveaboard use you will be saddened by the amount of outdoors space that is to cold to occupy in the winter, also the state of fitout in the cabin means probably several weeks with tools and time to bring the cabin to habitable. even then you only have half a boat to live in and half outside in the cold and rain.

If the trailer is in the same condition then it's probably not roadworthy to trail that boat anywhere

Why?

We use our cockpit all year round. You can heat them pretty well, ok never as warm as in the cabin but still warm enough to be comfortable.

With a decent set of hoods you have outside space all year round and somewhere nice and dry to steer from. biggrin.png

I would be interested to find out what the OP is planning to offer for the boat mind as it wants to be dirt cheap in the condition it is in.

• 2 weeks later...

update...

thank you all for the advice, i have listened to the mad bad and insane, then bought the boat!

picking it up tomorrow all things being equal....

sounds like you have an adventure ahead, please take plenty of pictures it will be good to follow your progress with both the boat move and the fit out, steve

As far as I know you wouldn't be able to travel by boat from the destination you mentioned.

I'd suggest you need to do some research by either looking at the canal network on the british waterways website.

Most chandlers sell books and selection of canalside maps.

If I can be of help in any way then please let me know.

You must remember it will take you all day to travel relatively short distance as canal speed is about the same as a brisk walk.

One suggestion is put it into the nearest canal and sail it to the destination once you have worked out the route moving your car back and forth each weekend is one option.

Depends on how quickly you need to get it there. wendynwaseufood@yahoo.co.uk

As far as I know you wouldn't be able to travel by boat from the destination you mentioned.

I'd suggest you need to do some research by either looking at the canal network on the british waterways website.

Most chandlers sell books and selection of canalside maps.

If I can be of help in any way then please let me know.

You must remember it will take you all day to travel relatively short distance as canal speed is about the same as a brisk walk.

One suggestion is put it into the nearest canal and sail it to the destination once you have worked out the route moving your car back and forth each weekend is one option.

Depends on how quickly you need to get it there. wendynwaseufood@yahoo.co.uk

Could you please UP your font size, I'm sure what you are saying makes good sense, but I can't see it myself smile.png

If you have a petrol outboard it is possible to get fuel along the way depending on which canal your on. I took a 23ft waterbug to London from Chester and back on a charity trip. I had three fuel cans and stopped each day to fill one up. I didn't have to walk very far except at Stoke Bruene when a fellow boater came to the rescue and gave me a lift with his nearby car. All part of the adventure but rather expensive if your taking it any distance

my only worry is the steering position is outside

Hi HS,

You do realise you're posting on a forum frequented (predominantly) by narrowboat owners/enthusiasts who mostly stand outside on the back end of their boats to steer them? We usually have somewhere warm, dry and cosy to go when we've had enough though, which it appears you don't.

Oh, and if that's your only worry, you're gonna be quite surprised by quite how much else you really should have been worried about!

That said, you are getting some good pointers which I hope will lead you to do a little more research than you did before you bought the boat. Please do make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you set sail because, however blindly you appear to have gone into boat ownership (which is why so many here are aghast and appear a wee bit negative), I wish you all the best for your adventure and hope you stay safe.