Water Cans - How much!

Kendal

Featured Posts

I am a little shocked by how much it appears these are now worth (at least £100 or more). I've got a couple of them and usually leave them on top of the cabin at night wherever we are moored, perhaps it's time to start bringing them in!

They are about 20 years old and when Dave Moore was painting the new boat name on them a few months ago he told me the manufacturers (somewhere in Brum or the Black Country) have stopped making them as there's not enough call for them any more (excuse pun). Perhaps that's why the value seems to be shooting up (well compared to what I paid for them back in the day).

I have seen one or two boats with chains through the handles, which I thought a little excessive, but perhaps not. So last thing at night, cat out, cans in!

The supply of good cans is indeed a problem. I remember paying under £20 for an unpainted one from Water Travel in the 80s, then buying them directly from Lesters, the manufacturers, in Birmingham in the 90s, for £22 or so each. The Lesters factory, in Erskine St, was positively Dickensian in character - I half expected to see a clerk at a high desk wielding a quill pen!

Their lease expired in 2006 or so and they had to relocate. It was then that they decided to discontinue production, apparently the cans were barely profitable. They were approached by the Craft Guild and other individuals with a view to acquiring patterns and machinery but pleas fell on deaf ears.

I have heard several stories of boaters having cans stolen, indeed I've painted a good few replacements in recent years. I used to use brass chains to keep ours on the cabin top, though I don't bother theses days. Depending on where I tie up, they are sometimes left or taken in.

It's probably worth trawling Fleabay for an old can, if that's what's wanted, then have it repainted by the painter of your choice. One of our current cans was turned up in Hungerford, a fair step from the Midlands. I haven't checked recently but I think a new can from Midland Chandlers would cost something in the region of £170-£180, but I could be wrong.

The cheap examples painted in China are a far cry from the old stuff here at home, both in the quality of manufacture and subsequent decoration. I'll leave it there, those who know me will read my thoughts!!

Cheers

Dave

I am a little shocked by how much it appears these are now worth (at least £100 or more). I've got a couple of them and usually leave them on top of the cabin at night wherever we are moored, perhaps it's time to start bringing them in!

They are about 20 years old and when Dave Moore was painting the new boat name on them a few months ago he told me the manufacturers (somewhere in Brum or the Black Country) have stopped making them as there's not enough call for them any more (excuse pun). Perhaps that's why the value seems to be shooting up (well compared to what I paid for them back in the day).

I have seen one or two boats with chains through the handles, which I thought a little excessive, but perhaps not. So last thing at night, cat out, cans in!

I always have my water can chained up, as well as hopefully deterring theft the chain will stop it going overboard on the occasions when we hit low foliage. Mop handle helps here too.

Just having a quick look round:

Terence's 3gal - £120

Trina's Canal Art 2gal unpainted - £95

Dave Ball 3gal - £117

eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=buckby+can&_sacat=0

mMqTGd8GLO1e9jWilOGQ9HA.jpg

£203

mOPSeorY0z3ezKuMoJMc9Sw.jpg

£245

m4Qu9kDwqwlOVDsK-xND5Cw.jpg

£181

Edited by Ray T

Thank you Dave for the comprehensive post. I think the tale of Lesters is pretty much what you said to me a few months ago but I couldn't recall the detail. I'm not looking for another can, I'm more than happy with the two I have now they sport your handiwork smile.png It's just that I didn't appreciate their worth. I shall take a little more care of them in future

I always have my water can chained up, as well as hopefully deterring theft the chain will stop it going overboard on the occasions when we hit low foliage. Mop handle helps here too.

Good point about losing it over the side. Both my cans were brushed off a few weeks ago (as well as my beer!!!!) when I was forced into off side foliage by an oncoming hire boat that thought the centre of the cut was their god given right. Fortunately I managed to grab hold of both of them before they fell off the counter into the cut. Perhaps it's time to get myself a bit of chain and a padlock

Edit:sp

Edited by Kendal

I have to agree with Dave Moore.

The Chinese one's leak, have very poor soldering, and the painting is very poor considering the historical quality that the chinese used to produce on porcelain !

I bought a gallon one from Hilmorton and wire brushed the painting off & re-decorated it myself ! It leaks. I bought a cheap 3 gallon from eBay (unpainted) waiting for it to be RE-soldered by a mate, it leaks and the base ring snapped off in transit the solder was so poor.

How's a budding amateur like me supposed to go on eh? :0)

I even had a galvy bucket leak !

But the Chinese have had their money !! BAH !!!

Rant over

Cheers Bill

You get what you pay for. The problem is the decent cans don't seem to be available any more, so it's a case of trying to find an original one, and that's not so easy to tell from the ebay pics

Agree totally, but there is no way I would strip an old can with good period decoration, no matter how battered. That would be wrong. :0)

Terence's 3gal - £120

Dave Ball 3gal - £117

eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=buckby+can&_sacat=0

mMqTGd8GLO1e9jWilOGQ9HA.jpg

£203

mOPSeorY0z3ezKuMoJMc9Sw.jpg

£245

m4Qu9kDwqwlOVDsK-xND5Cw.jpg

£181

Interesting that the one in the first picture has a price tag on it with £155 written on it !!!

Many are, I agree. I find it a shame that a good percentage of current canal users have no interest in the traditions that drew me to the cut over half a century ago...but I wouldn't care at all for a wide beam. Having just come down the Thames from Oxford, I've seen plenty and remain unconvinced. Sorry

• Greenie 2

Many are, I agree. I find it a shame that a good percentage of current canal users have no interest in the traditions that drew me to the cut over half a century ago...but I wouldn't care at all for a wide beam. Having just come down the Thames from Oxford, I've seen plenty and remain unconvinced. Sorry

I can understand where you're coming from. The culture that you're interested in though was a product of a set of conditions - like all culture, it doesn't exist in a vacuum - and those conditions no longer exist. Painting a boat in a style or buying a can wouldn't bring me any closer to it any more than putting feathers in my hair and dancing around a fire would bring me closer to native American culture.

The conditions are long gone, I agree....and I find it remarkable that my work is still sought after in a markedly changed environment, to be honest. But it is. In the same way the work of the best traditional builders is still valued and sought after by those who have a similar mindset. I spent a little time yesterday with another long term boater, as old farts we bemoaned many of the changes...." We had the best of it" he said and in many ways I totally agree....camaraderie, a sense of purpose and a desire to maintain some of the old ways. These still exist, but to a much smaller degree and I note a much more " client / customer" mindset among many modern boaters, a point I recently made to Tony Hales.

Not long ago I spoke to a lock keeper who told me he no longer raised paddles for boaters. Pressed by me for a reason,he explained that he'd been bollocked by one such for splashing water on his fore deck. As long as my boat is safe, I don't give a monkeys about water there, sometimes it saves me mopping it off later.

What, I wonder, would Rolt or Aikman made of the current situation? I don't doubt that the infrastructure is in much better shape than when I started in the 60s but I doubt that they would be impressed with many modern trends.

I suspect many reading this will wonder what I'm on about...to those that do, thank you.

Dave

• Greenie 1

Terence's 3gal - £120

Dave Ball 3gal - £117

Can we have a competition for most optimistic price for a quite average looking can.

This one may not be a winner, but at a "buy it now" of £245, I'll put it up as my opening offer.......

Linky

$_57.JPG

EDIT: I sincerely hope this was not an early piece by one of our resident artists, or I may just have made new enemies! [ohmy.png]

Mind you, if you think water cans have gone expensive, how about a teapot at a mere £740?

Linky.

$T2eC16J,!ykE9s7twCSeBR(IZcYG1g~~60_57.J

Edited by alan_fincher

Can we have a competition for most optimistic price for a quite average looking can.

This one may not be a winner, but at a "buy it now" of £245, I'll put it up as my opening offer.......

Linky

$_57.JPG

Agree Alan, mediocre would be a word for it….. my words would result in suspension from CWDF though, suffice to say some people have some front :0))

Roger Wickson from Audlem painted a beautiful can for Bullfinch for us in the Polesworth style to match all the scenes he painted in the backcabin and engine room side hatches. I keep the can on a rope and brass shackle in case it gets brushed off by branches. They get brought in at night unless it's a remote spot.

I was inspired to have a go painting a can in my own style after a few lessons and watching videos of it being done. It's been really good fun though my own efforts are a far cry from Rogers. My painted cabin stools have had some polite praise and I enjoyed the woodworking part equally.

The conditions are long gone, I agree....and I find it remarkable that my work is still sought after in a markedly changed environment, to be honest. But it is. In the same way the work of the best traditional builders is still valued and sought after by those who have a similar mindset. I spent a little time yesterday with another long term boater, as old farts we bemoaned many of the changes...." We had the best of it" he said and in many ways I totally agree....camaraderie, a sense of purpose and a desire to maintain some of the old ways. These still exist, but to a much smaller degree and I note a much more " client / customer" mindset among many modern boaters, a point I recently made to Tony Hales.

Not long ago I spoke to a lock keeper who told me he no longer raised paddles for boaters. Pressed by me for a reason,he explained that he'd been bollocked by one such for splashing water on his fore deck. As long as my boat is safe, I don't give a monkeys about water there, sometimes it saves me mopping it off later.

What, I wonder, would Rolt or Aikman made of the current situation? I don't doubt that the infrastructure is in much better shape than when I started in the 60s but I doubt that they would be impressed with many modern trends.

I suspect many reading this will wonder what I'm on about...to those that do, thank you.

Dave

One of those that do.

Thank you so much for such an erudite perspective.

Only owned our Narrowboat for some two years, wished for it for 30 years….. long time.

My lasses family were on the Cut up to WW2 though, so we have respect for the old ways.

Cheers

Bill

Roger Wickson from Audlem painted a beautiful can for Bullfinch for us in the Polesworth style to match all the scenes he painted in the backcabin and engine room side hatches. I keep the can on a rope and brass shackle in case it gets brushed off by branches. They get brought in at night unless it's a remote spot.

I was inspired to have a go painting a can in my own style after a few lessons and watching videos of it being done. It's been really good fun though my own efforts are a far cry from Rogers. My painted cabin stools have had some polite praise and I enjoyed the woodworking part equally.

Good for you. My first attempts were awfull, but I have stuck wiv it and have had similar praise from other boaters, which makes it so worthwhile.

Dave

Well said!....this is why we now only go to a few boat gatherings....there seems to be less and less people about with any sense of why things are as they are be that decoration or boating infrastructure. Even sadder is the fact that less people have a desire to learn why things have evolved as they have.

I'm quite happy to be classed as an old fart although I I'm a young upstart having only been boating for 22 years...and every day on a boat is a schoolday.

Cheers

Gareth

Dave

It's not remarkable, it's a pleasing aesthetic and on the cut a fashionable one. That's not likely to change any time soon as far as I can see and anyone doing it well is never going to struggle for work. Same with a well built boat. A lot of what makes for example a Norton Canes desirable to someone more traditionally minded is actually good from a functional perspective and built well - it works on a level beyond tradition. Look at some of the boats that have tried to revolutionise canals, Phoenix 58 and another that's name escapes me. They did no such thing. The real leaps were made in the 60s and 70s that make the "new canal age", cruiser sterns and other features designed for pleasure boating and liveaboards. Since then it's just technology improving things by degrees - solar panels etc.

The traditions that aren't relevant are gone, the move towards a customer mindset on the canals is happening/has happened everywhere, even hospitals. That's the background that we're all living in. I've no idea what Rolt would make of the system today, I suspect though he'd have no interest, he'd be off on another challenge, the canals being in a relatively stable situation compared to the one he operated in.