Identifying families On British Waterways Boats in the 1950s

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

A bit of a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

A number of scans of excellent colour slides of BW working boats have appeared on Facebook recently, all taken by a photographer called Hardwicke Knight, probably from about 1953 until about 1957, when he emigrated to New Zealand.

Whilst it is possible to identify the boats in some of these, (all ex "Grand Union" types), nobody has yet identified any of the boating families on board.

I am aware there is some information about who crewed boats towards the end of carrying, but I am not sure how much evidence exists for the 1950s.

Can anybody point us at somewhere that might indicate who was on a certain pair of boats at a certain time please?

Obvious pairings that have come up are.....

Bletchley & Coughton

Caldy & Stoulton

Southern Cross & Andromeda

[unidentified Yarwoods Motor] + Beverley

Any chance of us non-facebook types seeing these?!

I did wonder that, but not being mine, I don't think I can legitimately "lift" them and put them elsewhere.

I'll try some direct links to the Facebook images concerned, which may or may not give you the chance, I'm not sure. Facebook permissions may get in the way, but I'll try!

[All photos by Hardwicke Knight, copyright assumed to be owned by Dave Murray - please do not reproduce without permission]

10714477_10201895804797385_9000756993590

10669216_10201671764316513_8533988060431

10700163_10201881821447810_2457435439828

10714307_10201848631178074_3736312900360

10557035_10201666398422369_8895126423323

Well I can see all of those, but I'm a Facebook user - can non Facebook users see them, please?

Edited by alan_fincher

Fantastic photos and very interesting detail of the paint scheme

Superb, aren't they?

How I would love something like this to turn up for our boat!

Hard to believe none of the boats shown (of those that have survived!) were yet a quarter of the age they are now. These boats were newer then than "Chalice" is now!

Alan - I'm a non-facebook user and I can see the photos fine.

Thanks that is useful to know, because sometimes if you are a FB user, and make a point of logging out to try to simulate what a non-FB user can (or can't) see, you still get a different result from what a genuine non-FB user might get.

I was hoping that because these are just links to JPGs, even though posted in a "non public" group on FB, that they would be visible. It seems they are!

What is so frustrating is that the mystery big Northwich can only be either Halsall 149 or Oakley 159 or Shirley 169 or Thaxstead 179

I'm hoping that the pairing and the people will give an identity for this motor , its not likely to be Halsall as the metal cabin was cut off and replaced with a wooden one. No idea when this happened though.

Edited by madcat

What is so frustrating is that the mystery big Northwich can only be either Halsall 149 or Oakley 159 or Shirley 169 or Thaxstead 179

I'm hoping that the pairing and the people will give an identity for this motor , its not likely to be Halsall as the metal cabin was cut off and replaced with a wooden one. No idea when this happened though

I can confirm this boat is "Thaxted", under some enhancement a clear 7 is present in the gauging number. GU 12671

Yes but....

The most recent UK census available to the public is 1911, and these pictures are from more than 40 years later.

smiley_offtopic.gif Whilst Tom Fincher of Tring was recorded on boats in 1881 (Aylesbury Basin) and 1891 (Isleworth), by the 1901 and 1911 censuses he is recorded as living at land based addresses in Paddington. I'm not sure even CRT would try and "do" you for overstaying in a house - but after some recent cases, perhaps that is too big an assumption!

Does anyone have the colour scheme that is depicted in these photo's?

I can't immediately think of any "Grand Union" boats that currently have a livery like those pictured here. There may be, but I'm struggling to think which.

Obviously a bit different, because it is a Josher that recreated the sunken panelling, rather than flat cabin sides, but I would say ex-FMC "Ling" is broadly in the colours of this period.

CIMG6180.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

The livery seen in the pictures is the second variant of the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive style, it also had a sub variation where the sides were scalloped and not straight lines. It was refined into the "standard" traffic livery upon BWB being created, a spec exists for this livery and it is the one commonly seen today.

As for panelled sides lets not forget that all Harland & Wollf boats had panelling but for some reason it was soon removed in most cases and generally only be seen in early photos.

This is the variant:

gallery_5000_522_217469.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

A bit of a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

A number of scans of excellent colour slides of BW working boats have appeared on Facebook recently, all taken by a photographer called Hardwicke Knight, probably from about 1953 until about 1957, when he emigrated to New Zealand.

Whilst it is possible to identify the boats in some of these, (all ex "Grand Union" types), nobody has yet identified any of the boating families on board.

I am aware there is some information about who crewed boats towards the end of carrying, but I am not sure how much evidence exists for the 1950s.

Can anybody point us at somewhere that might indicate who was on a certain pair of boats at a certain time please?

Obvious pairings that have come up are.....

Bletchley & Coughton

Caldy & Stoulton

Southern Cross & Andromeda

[unidentified Yarwoods Motor] + Beverley

These photographs may well appear in a forthcoming edition of NarrowBoat magazine, and all of the boat names as well as some of the family names may well be published within the captions.

I wonder how I know this captain.gif

These photographs may well appear in a forthcoming edition of NarrowBoat magazine, and all of the boat names as well as some of the family names may well be published within the captions.

Is it cos it's you wot writ it? smile.png

Edited by Ray T

Thanks Pete.

I had heard they were likely to be in Narrow Boat, but hadn't heard of any success in naming the personalities.

I look forward to seeing the detail.

Thanks Pete.

I had heard they were likely to be in Narrow Boat, but hadn't heard of any success in naming the personalities.

I look forward to seeing the detail.

The only reference, apart from those who recognise the individuals, is period fleet lists - of which I have a few. I am also aware that period Traffic Registers may exist which will also name the 'steerer'.

I must admit that I brought the recent copy of Narrow Boat and I was under the mistaken impression that I had already read that issue, 3 weeks later I thought what the hell I'll have another leaf through - I was pleasantly surprised to realise it was a different issue!

I must admit that I brought the recent copy of Narrow Boat and I was under the mistaken impression that I had already read that issue, 3 weeks later I thought what the hell I'll have another leaf through - I was pleasantly surprised to realise it was a different issue!

And it only comes out 4 times a year . . . Yes, they will be in an issue soon, but we probably won't have space until the Spring issue next year

Hugh