Pram cover up or down in big storm?

Rambling

Featured Posts

I have left ours up for some 4 years in storms - - still going strong

(The imminent one from the west atlantic area - will affect more northern parts than down south although all will get some strong winds)

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Hmm, shall I risk it. I couldn't replace it really in reality.

I thought pram covers were awful till I bought and lived on a boat with one. Now it's a must have. I love it. All that space, & you can stand up in it. Muchly useful it is.

Lol, know I should be hanging my head in shame, but... I LOVE my pram cover :)) I proudly get stuck underneath it when putting it up and down. When driving it is down so thank goodness I do not have to suffer the disgrace of being seen with it. Phew!

Edited by Rambling

Lol, know I should be hanging my head in shame, but... I LOVE my pram cover smile.png) I proudly get stuck underneath it when putting it up and down. When driving it is down so thank goodness I do not have to suffer the disgrace of being seen with it. Phew!

DRIVING??????

Oh I see, you mean your car....

:)

MtB

I pootle down the river with it down, then when back home, I put it up then drink wine in it, have a quick ciggy in it, play cards in it, join my animal friends in for tea, join my human friends in it for political and social discussions. I might even put my bed on it and sleep in it forever and ever and ever.

• Greenie 1

I pootle down the river with it down, then when back home, I put it up then drink wine in it, have a quick ciggy in it, play cards in it, join my animal friends in for tea, join my human friends in it for political and social discussions. I might even put my bed on it and sleep in it forever and ever and ever.

I like you... :)

But DON'T SMOKE.....!

MtB

Depends on your insurance, if that's 'all risks' then leave it up.

1. It's probably strong enough to stand anything short of a hurricane,

2. If there's a hurricane you should be covered (except for your 'excess").

Also, you'll be much more comfortable if it's up and unless you completely dismount it (except for the steel hoops) it will probably be safer up than down - up it's pre-stressed (tight), down it's just loose canvas, ready for the wind to carry it away.

In a hurricane, obviously it's better to remove all the canvas entirely and bring it inside the steel shell of the boat - the hoops alone are much more resistant to wind damage with no canvas attached, but if you want to be 100% certain, bring them in too, but in such a wind, bear in mind that your whole boat is probably at risk...

I have no practical experience of such conditions, but I'd rely on my insurance and the strength of the hood and leave my pram cover up unless you were sure of wind forces over beaufort 10+

Roger

The oncoming storm looks to be a heavy one, according to Sky anyway.

I would put the pram cover down and well secured. Any, even heavy items left outside should be secured or brought inside if possible.

Try http://www.metcheck.com and enter your location. For mine the prediction is gust of 45 to 46 mph - "20-46 mph" means average of 20mph with gusts up to 46mph. Gusts approaching 100mph need special caution. If you leave the hood down (rather than removed) considerably less would be a risk. On metcheck's forecast, I'll leave mine up!

Make your own decision...

Roger

PS "secured" may well be difficult - I'd choose between removed entirely, or up, unless you have some dedicated tie down points. Mine will stay up.

R Just my ignorant opinion!

We have left our canopies up in every weather for the last six, going on seven years and have not suffered any wind damage to them yet despite them being really quite large.

Make sure they are fastened securely though as the wind will get under anything not fastened down properly.

What's this big storm threat then?

I can't see anything forecast on the weather site I use

Here is an email I received on Saturday from my Insurers

You may be aware from recent weather reports about Hurricane Gonzalo, currently in the Atlantic and approaching Bermuda, that parts of the UK are forecast to experience extremely high winds and heavy rain next week which is likely to cause flooding.

Whether your boat is currently ashore, or still on the water, there is a heightened risk of damage.

Whilst we hope that you do not experience any problems, this is simply to remind you that we are here to help should you need it.

Our claims team is fully resourced and ready to take your call should you have any questions or need to notify us of damage to your boat. You can contact our claims team on 01732 223610 - or via our interactive claims form by clicking on the button below which will take you to the claims page of our website detailing what action to take if you are unfortunate enough to suffer loss or damage to your boat: