chainsaw rant

DeanS

Featured Posts

There are rules. Under the heading common sense and decency.

Never any need to look up rules, laws or acts of parliament for so many situations along the waterways. If more of us the rules I refer to half the posts on the forum would be very short. Mind you I do enjoy skimming through the posts of the towpath lawyers.

Hmm well considering dinner is 8pm seems a bit late and dark to me!

Oh the joys of the English language, we can't even agree amongst ourselves, what hope for Johnny Foreigner!

That's supper! ;)

Dinner as everybody knows, is at noon. ;)

I know Sthil do 4 stroke strimmers, never seen the saws, have you a link?

The pro logging company that I service & repair saws for, are also a Stihl main dealer, their 2015 sales paperwork list a 4 mix Weed Whacker, & a Pole Saw, but no listing for any chainsaw other than the 2 smoke jobs, they now seem to be equipped with all singing/dancing self adjust carbs, ignition etc. but you still have to have oil mixed in the fuel & the 4mix is the same, This is in SW France so it could be different in other parts of the world, but I doubt if a company like Stihl would miss an opportunity to not launch a radical step such as a 4 stroke saw, worldwide, Maybe it"s a bit like the Comet saw from Sweden some years back that was a Diesel, but you needed to be like superman to lift it + it rattled all your teeth fillings loose.Our guys keep thrashing on with the 2 smoke jobbies.

The pro logging company that I service & repair saws for, are also a Stihl main dealer, their 2015 sales paperwork list a 4 mix Weed Whacker, & a Pole Saw, but no listing for any chainsaw other than the 2 smoke jobs, they now seem to be equipped with all singing/dancing self adjust carbs, ignition etc. but you still have to have oil mixed in the fuel & the 4mix is the same, This is in SW France so it could be different in other parts of the world, but I doubt if a company like Stihl would miss an opportunity to not launch a radical step such as a 4 stroke saw, worldwide, Maybe it"s a bit like the Comet saw from Sweden some years back that was a Diesel, but you needed to be like superman to lift it + it rattled all your teeth fillings loose.Our guys keep thrashing on with the 2 smoke jobbies.

Yeah seen the 4 stroke brush cutters, they haven't really caught on as far as I can see, don't know why

Have you seen the concept carbon fibre Sthil chainsaw? Lush thing that it is

Just had a visit from the Stihl Rep I asked him if they were marketing a 4 stroke chainsaw & also asked that the answer was straight, & not Stihl Sales blurb. His answer was that as long as they can meet the emissions regs with self adjust carbs, cat converter mufflers, etc.with a 2 stroke motor, they had no plans to market a 4 stroke saw in Europe, his closing words were we will think about that when we cannot comply with the emission regs So as far as I"m aware all the Stihl chainsaws n the market are 2 stroke motors ( But willing to be corrected if some one has different credible info )

Yeah seen the 4 stroke brush cutters, they haven't really caught on as far as I can see, don't know why

Have you seen the concept carbon fibre Sthil chainsaw? Lush thing that it is

Yes seen that & also the carbon insert bar, trouble is you need to be securely fixed to your bank manager to afford them, One of our guys was given a carbon insert bar to test, which he did, they were not to happy when it wore out before the Sugihara light bars that we have been running for the last couple of years I"m pretty sure the Tsumura bars we used before that would have outlasted it as well, Stihl kit is good but it"s not the be all end all that some people make it out to be; There are other brands of kit out there that that can equal or better it ( in a commercial earn a living from it set up )

Not to worry Dean, I think I got the meaning of your rant. It wasn't so much the time of day the noise started, it was more the fact that you purposefully moved the boat to a place where you envisioned a day of peace & quiet and someone else came along and blew you plan out of the water so to speak. It really wouldn't have mattered if it had been after lunch, you envisioned dream of a day of piece & quiet was ruined.frusty.gif

& on another note, as far as my Dad was concerned there were only breakfast, dinner, tea & supper. Mom changed with the times and well into her 70's she did start referring to lunch as lunch icecream.gif

LOL....I chuckled at the responses on this thread.......

cmon boys and girls.....surely it's OTT to use your chainsaw right next to someone's boat when it's :

1. A veryyyyyyyy quiet piece of towpath

2. One of those "special" mooring moments

He might as well of banged on the boat and shouted..."ANYONE FANCY A BIT OF NOISEEEEEE"

HMMMMPH.

I've forgiven him though....

lol

I was told that the problem with 4 stroke engines in chainsaws etc is that the engines have to be horizontal for the oil in he sump to do its lubrication thing, while 2 strokes can be used at any angle.

The 4 strike engines we are talking about are not traditional 4 stroke in fact it uses a oil petrol mix of 50:1, I don't see the benefits myself but am willing to be converted

So yes your right traditional 4 stroke engines will be useless for chainsaws

Yes seen that & also the carbon insert bar, trouble is you need to be securely fixed to your bank manager to afford them, One of our guys was given a carbon insert bar to test, which he did, they were not to happy when it wore out before the Sugihara light bars that we have been running for the last couple of years I"m pretty sure the Tsumura bars we used before that would have outlasted it as well, Stihl kit is good but it"s not the be all end all that some people make it out to be; There are other brands of kit out there that that can equal or better it ( in a commercial earn a living from it set up )

Interesting that, never heard any real feedback on the carbon stuff, yeah agree also about Sthil not being the be all and end all but they suited my work and until they messed up the 020T they had the best tree saw in the world, well at least in my opinion :-)

When I started it was Husky for forestry and Sthil for tree monkey work, the world has moved on

I was told that the problem with 4 stroke engines in chainsaws etc is that the engines have to be horizontal for the oil in he sump to do its lubrication thing, while 2 strokes can be used at any angle.

The Stihl Wackers, Polesaws that run 4mix Don"t have a sump or have a supply of oil within the engine It"s more or less the same as a 2 stroke ie, the fuel mixed with a specified amount of oil, so it possible to tilt , run them on their sides etc they operate as a 2 stroke but with valves & only firing every other time instead of every time at or about TDC

Perhaps he thought.................well with all the noise and rocking coming from your boat wink.png

You obviously missed my other thread saying LongSufferingWife is currently broken.

Maybe that's why I'm in a bad mood. LOL

Interesting that, never heard any real feedback on the carbon stuff, yeah agree also about Sthil not being the be all and end all but they suited my work and until they messed up the 020T they had the best tree saw in the world, well at least in my opinion :-)

When I started it was Husky for forestry and Sthil for tree monkey work, the world has moved on

We still use a couple of 3120 Husky"s with 4ft bars for the big stuff, & Stihl 661"s & 441"s were it"s not possible /convenient to get the JD harvester in or starting out felling/falling on a new site. Our guys are not involved in any up tree work so can"t comment as regards that

You obviously missed my other thread saying LongSufferingWife is currently broken.

Maybe that's why I'm in a bad mood. LOL

Sorry to hear that Dean, I hope she gets better soon. At least it might improve your mood! wink.png

Edited by Kendal

We still use a couple of 3120 Husky"s with 4ft bars for the big stuff, & Stihl 661"s & 441"s were it"s not possible /convenient to get the JD harvester in or starting out felling/falling on a new site. Our guys are not involved in any up tree work so can"t comment as regards that

Never done any real forestry work but always wanted a go on the harvesters amazing machine's

I spent some time in NZ and watched them extract timber with a chinook, now that would be fun