Am I taking the p...

bassplayer

Featured Posts

you mean to dodge backwards and forwards or in a loop around your place of work/school, etc.?

unlikely to be within the spirit and intent of continuously cruising.

Like Dave_P said in post #41, there are 430 miles of canal within an hours drive of work, so if you call travelling over 430 miles dodging backwards and forwards, yes. How many miles would you suggest to stay within the spirit and intent of CCing if 430 isn't enough?

I am more than happy with genuine CCers but quasi CCers as above are the (minority) who spoilt it and cause resentment to rise to the surface and thus all the acrimony that we have all seen.

Phil

So sorry to be spoiling it for you and causing so much resentment and acrimony. I'll get off the water immediately.

So sorry to be spoiling it for you and causing so much resentment and acrimony. I'll get off the water immediately.

If you have a view on movements by boats without a home mooring, and a view as to what is acceptable....state it....to make snippy comments from the sidelines does your argument (?) no favours

I'm an even bigger skin flint...I use a school excercise book (I got a huge pack of them from a school closing down) It means I can go to almost any day out of the couple of years I was cruising and tell you where I was, and what I did (apart from a couple of hazy days around Sun lock and that den of iniquity the Sun pub when it was having a beer festival)

If you have a view on movements by boats without a home mooring, and a view as to what is acceptable....state it....to make snippy comments from the sidelines does your argument (?) no favours

I was just highlighting the silliness of the quoted viewpoint.

There is already well established guidance which states what is acceptable. That guidance is being reviewed and updated slowly but surely.

The idea that the only thing that people who don't have a home mooring should be doing is being 'proper CCers' is silly. Not everyone is retired and therefore in the position to be able to cruise extensively and rather than resenting this fact or getting acrimonious or even trying to get these improper CCers off the water, people should just deal with it.

There is already well established guidance which states what is acceptable. That guidance is being reviewed and updated slowly but surely.

The idea that the only thing that people who don't have a home mooring should be doing is being 'proper CCers' is silly. Not everyone is retired and therefore in the position to be able to cruise extensively and rather than resenting this fact or getting acrimonious or even trying to get these improper CCers off the water, people should just deal with it.

Excuse me, but that's just bollocks. Where do you get your ideas from?

Jambo

To a very large extent I accept and agree with that...most of the complaints (certainly the ones I have) are directed at the few who try and push things to the absolute limit.

I was fortunate that I had two full years after I (semi) retired to CC around a large part of the system. Before that, for about a year, although I actually had a home mooring I in effect CCed and did a job. On occasion that involved me in a round trip to work of well over a hundred and fifty miles.

Moving the boat virtually every week. It is possible though it's bl00dy hard work. I do firmly believe that if, for what ever reason you are unable to move your boat a considerable distance, then you should (morally if not legally) get a home mooring.

incidentally ,(although there is the problem of paying in advance) someone in difficulties would then be able to apply for assistance.

Anyway I've said enough...I have just had a bottle of excellent cider and as it is the first alcohol I have had for many weeks I had better shut up and wish all good evening.

With that view, perhaps you should get off the canals.

Yet another cc debate.

Goody.

Quick aside as a genuine question.

When did cc = live aboard?

Reading some of these topics the impression they are one and the same.

Yep I live on the k&a !

Am in row of about 15 boats at the moment.

Apparently only a couple have residents aboard.

I know at least 3 of them belong to occasional boaters who live in the locality & never seem to leave the pound.

The rest are either at the terminus of life or being revamped.

Have had to join the row as anyone who has travelled this section will know there is VERY limited points that anyone can actually moor without the use of a 10ft gangplank!

Of course you can moor like that but then become a navigation hazard to everyone else.

Anyway back to initial question.

With that view, perhaps you should get off the canals.

Why? What is wrong about what I wrote? Plenty of people CC well within both the guidance and the legislation's requirements and yet many on this forum consider anyone who isn't doing what they view to be 'proper' CCing i.e. cruising extensive swathes of the canal system, as being some sort of blight. I find this intolerance for other people's way of living and use of the nation's canal system quite depressing.

Jambo

To a very large extent I accept and agree with that...most of the complaints (certainly the ones I have) are directed at the few who try and push things to the absolute limit.

I was fortunate that I had two full years after I (semi) retired to CC around a large part of the system. Before that, for about a year, although I actually had a home mooring I in effect CCed and did a job. On occasion that involved me in a round trip to work of well over a hundred and fifty miles.

Moving the boat virtually every week. It is possible though it's bl00dy hard work. I do firmly believe that if, for what ever reason you are unable to move your boat a considerable distance, then you should (morally if not legally) get a home mooring.

incidentally ,(although there is the problem of paying in advance) someone in difficulties would then be able to apply for assistance.

Anyway I've said enough...I have just had a bottle of excellent cider and as it is the first alcohol I have had for many weeks I had better shut up and wish all good evening.

Wish I had some good cider. A not quite cold can of lager is all I have at my disposal :(

Why? What is wrong about what I wrote? Plenty of people CC well within both the guidance and the legislation's requirements and yet many on this forum consider anyone who isn't doing what they view to be 'proper' CCing i.e. cruising extensive swathes of the canal system, as being some sort of blight. I find this intolerance for other people's way of living and use of the nation's canal system quite depressing.

It's depressing when people choose to cc a very small area, eventually drawing more to do the same. I hear so much about "it's all about sharing man" when what they really mean is, "I'll do what I want, you have to fit in".

I'm a CC'er, my other half continued to work in London for several years, but we didn't cruise up and down little Venice.

The spirit of the legislation should be adhered to by all, it's your moral responsibility. To quote CRT, it's not a bloody housing estate, and I don't for one moment believe it should be.

This problem could be simply solved by some people acting a little more responsibly, and a little less selfishly.

Let me tell you, if they don't, the matter will soon be taken out of their hands, and a minimum distance per year will come in. Believe it or not, there will be a lot of support for it.

I don't agree with people staying only on a very small stretch of canal but just because they exist doesn't mean that the only answer is to have everyone travelling hundreds of miles across the system or confined to a marina. It's that all or nothing standpoint that grates. There can be a middle ground.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of support for minimum distances but I suspect it'll mostly come from quite a narrow demographic and if it forces lots of mostly younger newcomers off the water then this way of life will be the poorer for it.

Yet another cc debate.

Goody.

Quick aside as a genuine question.

Reading some of these topics the impression they are one and the same.

Yep I live on the k&a !

Am in row of about 15 boats at the moment.

Apparently only a couple have residents aboard.

I know at least 3 of them belong to occasional boaters who live in the locality & never seem to leave the pound.

The rest are either at the terminus of life or being revamped.

Have had to join the row as anyone who has travelled this section will know there is VERY limited points that anyone can actually moor without the use of a 10ft gangplank!

Of course you can moor like that but then become a navigation hazard to everyone else.

Anyway back to initial question.

Absolutely and completely correct and I have said the same many times. a large number of the infamous K&A continuous moorers are not liveaboards just trying to get by, they are owners of leisure only boats that are used for high days and holidays only and kept on moorings basically stolen from the system. they may well move 10 miles at a weekend but start and finish it at the same spot, "their" mooring. The piled length just west of Hilperton close to BoA marina is a case in point. It is free long term mooring where the same boat are in the same place week after month after year.

Yet another cc debate.

Goody.

Anyway back to initial question

Was that the original question?

It is a good question though. Does anyone here feel that people who have a land home are taking the P when they leave their boat on the cut and don't pay for a permanent mooring?

It is a good question though. Does anyone here feel that people who have a land home are taking the P when they leave their boat on the cut and don't pay for a permanent mooring?

Hi. Sorry to have moved slightly off of OP.

Sir Nibs seems to have put it far better than I.

Non-liveaboard CCers are much in prevalence around most of Somerset, Wiltshire, Berkshire.

Often find 20 odd boats at a time all moored up with no liveaboards on.

But it seems to be the assumption that they are all occupied.

Also due to the state of the system on the K&A there is very limited mooring due to shallow points [painted boats quote in the offing methinks!]

Therefore it appears that small communities pop up in the same places.

It's just that there is limited mooring without causing more of a hindrance with your stern 8-10 foot off the bank.

Having said that CaRT seem to be sorting out some of towpath banks.[Milkhouse for instance] Wattle and daub mind.

Suppose that if some of the silt was then removed people would be able to moor in different places and it would then 'appear' that greater boat movements were happening.

As long as you have a regular 9-5 one-location job or kids in school, anything that makes you fixed and largely immovable - then you cannot possibly claim to be a genuine CCer.

Where does it say that in the law exactly?

I don't see why. I live in a house, but use my boat at least once a week, and yes I CC. I sometimes have a 3 hour drive to the boat, but at the moment it's only an hour. I have travelled about half the system so far, some of it twice. My grown up children also use the boat.

Do you think house dwellers should be banned from using their boats to CC? Why should I have a home mooring that I would never use? Out and back over the same bit of water every week would soon become tedious!

Also, I have to leave it on the cut. it's too big to put in the car and take it home! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Mary P

Absolutely and completely correct and I have said the same many times. a large number of the infamous K&A continuous moorers are not liveaboards just trying to get by, they are owners of leisure only boats that are used for high days and holidays only and kept on moorings basically stolen from the system. they may well move 10 miles at a weekend but start and finish it at the same spot, "their" mooring. The piled length just west of Hilperton close to BoA marina is a case in point. It is free long term mooring where the same boat are in the same place week after month after year.

If you are talking about non-liveaboards who behave as Sir Nibble describes most definitely yes

If however you are describing boat movements such as Mary P describes most definitely no

The boats that Sir Nibble describes are taking the pee pure and simple and so is anybody who behaves in a similar way

Non-liveaboard CCers who are moving their boat over a large range are in my book behaving correctly

I have in the past with a friend, used this "weekend CCing" to move a boat from one end of the country to the other when holidays were too short.

This in no way is like the behavior Sir Nibble describes

Again the term Pisstakers applies