Josher style narrowboat!?

Peter Reg

Featured Posts

Ian jennings is usually pretty good at availability in those parts, is thorough, will explain everything to you in plain English.

The boat has a very good quality paint job from what I have seen close up,which will last for many years if looked after.

Very nice boat.

Thanks matty I'll give him a ring, as well. It does look good the paint job, I want to change the name of the boat, not sure yet how to paint or spay it, without ruining the rest of the well painted boat.

Thanks again

Very nice looking boat! But 'Josher style' is bordering on having a laugh,

MtB

MtB

MtB

Thanks

Thanks

sorry ,tried to post a smiley, but it didn't show

MtB

I dunno, it rises a bit, like a Josher, it sort of curves in, like Josher. Doesn't look like a Josher right enough but at least it's avoided looking mental like some Josher style bows.

I dunno, it rises a bit, like a Josher, it sort of curves in, like Josher. Doesn't look like a Josher right enough but at least it's avoided looking mental like some Josher style bows.

I disagree.

Avoiding 'looking mental' is a pretty low threshold to clear for a bow to count as being 'josher style', IMHO.

I'd suggest a minimum standard should at least be the correct number of guard rails.

Even so, it's a far nicer looking bow than many out there.

:)

MtB

An original Josher (background) and a modern take on it (R Fuller). As LH will say there were numerous different original Joshers depending upon builder.

IMAG2327_zpsfe48c6f4.jpg

Are you sure about that?

I think I recognise the boat in the background, and, unless I'm wrong, it is not an ex FMC boat, and is not a Josher.

Now you say it now not 100% sure. I have a photo of a modern and original bow together and thought it was that one. Trouble is I can't remember the original boat name in the photo opposite.

What boat do you think it is?

I think it is "Jubilee", a "Midlands and Coast" boat, (and I believe a conversion from a horse boat). Is the picture taken at Stoke Bruerne?

I've checked on Google Earth and you are correct.

The photo was at SB and the boat is moored there offside and Google Earth reveals a primed, converted boat with no name or identifier on the side but a small nameplate (Jubilee) in window.

According to the web, it was an Yarwoods* built horse boat but sold to FMC a few years after being built.

*(Some contention whether Yarwoods boats are indeed Joshers even though they built a number of motors for FMC - however as this was not built for FMC it cannot be a Josher by any definition).

I can only think that when speaking to the owner (which we did) I only took away the word "FMC" as part of it's history.

Edited by mark99

I disagree.

Avoiding 'looking mental' is a pretty low threshold to clear for a bow to count as being 'josher style', IMHO.

I'd suggest a minimum standard should at least be the correct number of guard rails.

Even so, it's a far nicer looking bow than many out there.

smile.png

MtB

I dunno, these bows are an argument that could drag on forever with no definitive answer because everyone's got their own ideas/opinions/perspective but as this is a forum and I'm a gobshite I'll give you mine.

The actual Joshers are different depending on where and when they were built. The draft their built into is much bigger than on a modern boat so at least in the vertical they're going to be wrong. Apart from that they represent a massive compromise to the rest of the boat - the deck has to be long for no other reason than producing a shape. You can't sit in the shape, put a cooker or an engine in it etc, it's probably the ultimate narrowboat example of form over function. For that reason alone I wouldn't want one. I know a boat builder pretty well who produces what he describes as a Josher inspired bow (it's him that told me about the lack of draft making a proper replica pretty much impossible on a modern boat) and he's pretty well respected, bloody good in fact. The boats look beautiful. I think the boat the OP has bought looks pretty good. It's got the essential features of a Josher inspired bow to the point that you only have to look at it to know what the builder was going for. The inspiration has been taken and it's managed to look good in its own right. Some look absolutely mental.

To get a reasonable facsimile of the proper shape the builder will need to have used steel "planks" to get the compound curve.

IMG_0518.jpg

The joins are usually covered by the strakes.

This gives a "wine glass" shape when viewed from the front 3/4.

A simple "pull round" shape made from a single sheet might look OK from the side but will have a straight silhouette when viewed from the front.

eg click on pic 5 on the right hand side of this [page.

http://smhudson.co.uk/steel.html

Edited by andywatson

Buy a proper original FMC boat and then you will have a Josher bow, also you will suffer little depreciation in value compared to the "tin boxes" sold as being "Josher style". Nothing that is built today with a few very expensive exceptions gets anywhere near the real thing of which there are at least six variations to. As simple comparison is none of the modern replicas employ a cast or forged stempost through which plates are riveted to form to join. None are made of wood either which many Joshers were. None are composite ie wooden bottom, iron or steel sides.

And last of all forget the bow and look at the stern / swim, again compound curves and and of course the necessary 3ft draft. (oh god who wants that? well ask a proper Josher owner if its a problem, you will be surprised at the answer).

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Seems a shame to muck a nice paint job about unless you just cant stand the name.

Hi ditchcrawler, yes it does, I'm thinking that as well, but I would like to change the name and the French flags ! So I'm going to look for a professional sign writer and make it match and look good.

Hi Peter

It's no big deal to repaint the name panel, but bear in mind that you will have to totally remove the existing lettering and decoration first, you can't just paint over what is there. I've had this conversation many times with potential customers and always recommend that they get a coach painter to do that part first. Depending on how old the original paint job is, you may have " new/old" paint issues, paint often fades over time.

Dave

Hi Peter

It's no big deal to repaint the name panel, but bear in mind that you will have to totally remove the existing lettering and decoration first, you can't just paint over what is there. I've had this conversation many times with potential customers and always recommend that they get a coach painter to do that part first. Depending on how old the original paint job is, you may have " new/old" paint issues, paint often fades over time.

Dave

I will do that, thanks Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had the survey done yesterday and she's looking good,, only thing was a few window seals were popping out , so pushed them back into place,! Maybe I should put new ones in ? But apart from that she's ok. Next week I will pay for the boat and the insurance (the license ends March 15) and then I'm off to continuely cruise the lovely canals and waterways... I'll be single handed ! But I've got time to learn, no rush...

Fins ara...