London 'Houseboats'

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

I'm not sure I follow, can you clarify please? I strongly suspect that of independent boat owners, Junior and I are well down the younger range of the age category.

I am dealing with perspective rather than statistics.

For those truly vintage, there was a “Perishers” comic strip episode where the children call for the oldies to move over and make way for the younger generation.

The babe in nappies and dummy agrees – and calls on the elder siblings to give way for him to take over the world.

The perception that you and junior are "are well down the younger range of the age category" is a question of perspective. For such as Lady Muck refers to, you are 'has-been' geriatrics.

Sure, but in terms of the total of the boating demographic, we are well south of the list...

I have not said (and do not think) that anyone of any age should bog offa the canals to make way for more younger people, but I do think it can be difficult for young people to get into boating, due to a lack of funds and possibly, perception of the average age.

Well said Sabcat as to the non white I cannot remember the programme name but a coloured person said that his parents and elder generations considered that it was a lower lifestyle that the poor fisher folk lived.

I have come across a few young live aboard's who have stayed static in marinas (no licence required)using the boat as a place to live together and a first step onto housing ladder.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69942

I am 33. Last year I was paying £500 per month rent on a farm in Melton Mowbray. Since having a ride on a canal boat at Stoke Bruerne when I was 12 I've always had the idea in the back of my mind of having my own but it was not practical while I was in the forces.

I woke up one morning last year and though "what am I doing wasting this money, I may as well chuck £500 in the bin every month". I went out and bought a boat. Now I can't imagine myself ever living on land again.

My point......

It is possible for someone to buy a boat as an alternative to renting AND embrace the lifestyle/community and not have to fit into JUST one of the 2 categories that many people on here think there is.

I think you wanted a boat, before you wanted somewhere to live and eventually the two came together. am I wrong?

. . . predominantly of interest to old, white, men . . .

I remember seeing a TV program some decades ago, featuring an interview with “Amazing Omar” who had made a video about a week’s holiday on a narrowboat. Definitely a young, non-white gentleman. He came across as enthusiastic about the opportunities the canal life offered.

Yes, I thought you might consider yourself to part of a community or two. So what gives you the right to look down your nose at other people who may see themselves as part of a community.

As for pigeon holing folk - that's your bag not mine, I'm just taking issue with you ( the individual) for doing exactly that.

Why should you be surprised that your derision attracts derision?

If you look back, whilst it's true I derided your use of the term 'community', my main comment was that it's about the impact of lots and lots of moored boats on those who would actually like to visit an area, tie up and do stuff, then move on.

I have not at any point in this exchange offered any opinion on the random group of static boaters in question, you've extrapolated that all by yourself. ('Nice sneer geezer, I can see the twisted nostrils'). You missed out the monocle, and me going MWAHAHAH whilst twisting the ends of my waxed moustache.

If you look back, whilst it's true I derided your use of the term 'community', my main comment was that it's about the impact of lots and lots of moored boats on those who would actually like to visit an area, tie up and do stuff, then move on.

I have not at any point in this exchange offered any opinion on the random group of static boaters in question, you've extrapolated that all by yourself. ('Nice sneer geezer, I can see the twisted nostrils'). You missed out the monocle, and me going MWAHAHAH whilst twisting the ends of my waxed moustache.

London is crowded, go by bus, it's crowded, go by car, it's crowded, why would it be any different by boat. There's lots of peaceful empty room in the countryside. The myth that overcrowding on visitor moorings is down to the liveaboard community has been debunked so often you'll have to find something else to sneer at. And yes, it is a community in London it works exactly like any other community. I suggest you follow the Facebook link above if you want a flavour.

I also suggest if you are having difficulty boating in London ( I never have) you put pressure on CRT to provide more facilities and stop trying to blame someone else.

Edited by phill
  • Greenie 1

Yes a real nice guy .

Well it means BW where crap at management and CRT are having to sort out their mess .

And you obviously are part of the problem who have got away with not following common sense (too many boats) because of this lots of newbies are thinking we can do that and flooding London with residential boats.

• Greenie 1

twbm don't let him get to you .Just not worth it CRT are trialling K&A when that's sorted then I guess they will be moving onto the other problem areas.

I think we all have the measure of him, what what? Orft down the village pub to abuse one of the serving gals. Toodle pip.

• Greenie 1

Real ale drinking, Morris dancing, birdwatching and rural life in general are 'unrepresentative' of national demographics; not just narrowboating. It's a self selecting lifestyle / hobby, I'm not sure beating ourselves up about it is useful.