London 'Houseboats'

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

Here's something from the New York Times 'International Business' section that may be of interest

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/business/international/in-london-houseboats-offer-alternative-to-high-rent-but-new-problems-emerge.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=0

(Hope the link works - it's a long one)

What a good and fair article, obviously not written by you know who.

A couple of comments I found interesting:

“People have a romanticized vision of living on a boat,” he said, “but they just don’t realize the amount of risks they are taking.”

“Living on a boat provides a wonderful alternative lifestyle, and should be protected,” he said. “It should not be a last resort for those who can’t afford anything else.”

(By regulation, a London houseboat can be no more than seven feet wide and 72 feet long.)

Yet in the photo's there are some wide boats.

Edited by Ray T

An entertaining mix of good and bad.

I’m having a look for the Regulations that demand London houseboats can be no more than 7’ by 72’.

Clearing propellers has never been something I’ve taken for granted in a house, nor, for that matter, is fuelling up a diesel tank [though it might be for those with oil heating] Emptying the septic tank is more of a very occasional chore . . .

I’m also struggling with the correct interpretation of the final quote – is Mr Ros demanding that houseboating should be the resort only of those who can afford it, and protected from the less financially privileged?

True. I should have resisted posting picky comment. I remain curious over the import of the last quote in the article though.

Take the last quote from Mr Ros along with this “The need to find affordable housing has had a bad effect on life as a boater — at least for some of us who have known it when it was quieter,” from him I think it's pretty clear where he's coming from. He was here first, everyone else can cock off and live in a shipping container away from his "wonderful alternative lifestyle" that "should be protected".

Depends how you read it,it could mean; the housing situation in London should be improved and boat living will return to those for whom it's a positive choice rather than an escape from housing serfdom.

True. I should have resisted posting picky comment. I remain curious over the import of the last quote in the article though.

Take the last quote from Mr Ros along with this The need to find affordable housing has had a bad effect on life as a boater at least for some of us who have known it when it was quieter, from him I think it's pretty clear where he's coming from. He was here first, everyone else can cock off and live in a shipping container away from his "wonderful alternative lifestyle" that "should be protected".

Yes? And? A good thing surely?'

In 1940s the housing situation was sorted 'for once and all' until the greed took over, perhaps after the current war we'll do it again.

Edited by phill

Depends how you read it,it could mean; the housing situation in London should be improved and boat living will return to those for whom it's a positive choice rather than an escape from housing serfdom.

Yes? And? A good thing surely?'

In 1940s the housing situation was sorted 'for once and all' until the greed took over, perhaps after the current war we'll do it again.

Depends on how you view his (and your motivations) for his desire for the public good of affordable housing - if it's to fulfil need or to protect his wonderful alternative lifestyle?

Personally I like the fact of the cut becoming a viable housing alternative, gets younger people on here. For far too long pensioners who've sold up, bought a boat come to the cut to die have been massively over represented.

Depends on how you view his (and your motivations) for his desire for the public good of affordable housing - if it's to fulfil need or to protect his wonderful alternative lifestyle?

Personally I like the fact of the cut becoming a viable housing alternative, gets younger people on here. For far too long pensioners who've sold up, bought a boat come to the cut to die have been massively over represented.

Macabre thought; the canals becoming a sort of "elephants' graveyard"!

A lot of pensioners living on boats were (comparatively) young when they started doing so

As long as the flow the other way is viable. If (younger, diverse) people can check out boatie living but not get trapped if it doesn't suit. I have no problem with crowded canals in London or other urban environments but it needs ultimately to be a positive choice to stay after the first winter to keep it healthy.

....And they need not to be obstructed at every turn by CRT and wealthy lobbyists, who in their ingrained stupidity create the problem they are so scared of.

Edited by phill

As long as the flow the other way is viable. If (younger, diverse) people can check out boatie living but not get trapped if it doesn't suit. I have no problem with crowded canals in London or other urban environments but it needs ultimately to be a positive choice to stay after the first winter to keep it healthy.

....And they need not to be obstructed at every turn by CRT and wealthy lobbyists, who in their ingrained stupidity create the problem they are scared off.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more but that's not going to be achieved by the likes of Mr Ros talking about protecting his wonderful alternative lifestyle, it's going to be achieved by solving the problems that come with additional numbers of liveaboards on parts of the system, improved infrastructure and boaters supporting each other. It's going to mean, and does mean, change.

Hmmm maybe but don't expect those of us who were very happy with things as they were years ago to be very enthusiastic

New young people taking up this way of life ....as a way of life..... is grand

IMO people taking up boating to try and make it into an equivalent of living in a flat is to the detriment of the lifestyle

Are we talking boats that move or CMers after all the 14 days rule is all of CRTs canal onside except for where in my opinion long term moorings have been wrongly set up.

You really have no idea of what we are talking about, do you?

Can't you look beyond this narrow minded muddled thinking ?

Edited by phill

I suggest you read the thread again. Your question isn't remotely related.

So what is the difference between travellers pitching up where they like and boats just mooring where they want long term

It's not about the mechanics of boat movements or regulations, it's about the way the community works.

that did seem to be the attitude of your post......sometimes it's hard to understand exactly what a person is getting at without being face to face

I wasn't suggesting the over representation of old people on the cut should be solved by removing them but getting more young people on the cut. It's massively white as well, not that this is in and of itself a problem but it's hardly representative of the general population as it stands. I was young when I first started to live aboard, I get less so every year.