(Yet) Another Trent Question

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

So would you take advice on tide times from a lockie, who's job it is, or some random bloke who moors at a lock many miles upstream on the non tidal river and doesn't ever go anywhere?

I know where I would turn.

Oh and looks like my wages are safe with the current rate of progress :rolleyes:

It wasn't the advice part, it was the fact that you still cannot accept that CRT might be wrong where Tony is concerned even though CRT data has been produced as evidence conforming the fact.

The Lockie issue is not straight forward either where volunteers are involved , I have several times in the last few years gone against Lockie advice, corrected them with an explanation, or refused to do as they asked.

Edited by matty40s

It wasn't the advice part, it was the fact that you still cannot accept that CRT might be wrong where Tony is concerned even though CRT data has been produced as evidence conforming the fact.

The Lockie issue is not straight forward either where volunteers are involved , I have several times in the last few years gone against Lockie advice, corrected them with an explanation, or refused to do as they asked.

Non of the lockies on tidal locks are volunteers. They are all CRT employees.

This has nothing to do with CRT being wrong, or not. Its about who you would take advice from!

Naughty Cal, on 25 Sept 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Non of the lockies on tidal locks are volunteers. They are all CRT employees.

C&RT employees they may be but Lockies (some of them) aint !

Last time thru' Torksey, there were two temporary lockies on - they were bank staff who had ben called in to cover a holiday, they didnt answer the radio and made us wait until there was over 4 feet of water over the cill, despite having told them 2 feet was enough for us - they had a 'check-list' on what must be done at the lock and it was followed to the letter.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

C&RT employees they may be but Lockies (some of them) aint !

Last time thru' Torksey, there were two temporary lockies on - they were bank staff who had ben called in to cover a holiday, they didnt answer the radio and made us wait until there was over 4 feet of water over the cill, despite having told them 2 feet was enough for us - they had a 'check-list' on what must be done at the lock and it was followed to the letter.

That will be Adj.

He's the driver or the CRT tug Torksey Castle. He is somewhat lacking in people skills but when you have cracked his tough outer hes actually a nice enough guy. rolleyes.gif

The "resident" lockies are allowed time on holiday!

ETA: Would you rather they let you out with not enough water?

Edited by Naughty Cal

That will be Adj.

He's the driver or the CRT tug Torksey Castle. He is somewhat lacking in people skills but when you have cracked his tough outer hes actually a nice enough guy. rolleyes.gif

Maybe it was, but I dont understand why he would say he is 'Bankside staff' and is normally involved in clearance duties.

Of course, but wouldn't it be sensible for the 'holiday cover' to spend a few days with the lockie before he went on holiday ?

Thats a bit of a silly statement - I can read the depth board/gauge, I know how much water I need and could decide when to leave.

My feeling was they (two of them) had not worked the lock before and had to tick off every action before moving onto the next.

Being fairly small tides meant we missed a 'good hour' of the flow waiting to open the lock.

That will be Adj.

Maybe it was, but I dont understand why he would say he is 'Bankside staff' and is normally involved in clearance duties.

The tug assists in clearing duties. It tows the pans!

Of course, but wouldn't it be sensible for the 'holiday cover' to spend a few days with the lockie before he went on holiday ?

The holiday cover have worked the locks before.

Thats a bit of a silly statement - I can read the depth board/gauge, I know how much water I need and could decide when to leave.

My feeling was they (two of them) had not worked the lock before and had to tick off every action before moving onto the next.

Being fairly small tides meant we missed a 'good hour' of the flow waiting to open the lock.

Again would you rather you landed on the cill! The depth gauge on the middle cill is somewhat out. We have been through when the gauge said we should have plenty of water yet have landed squarely on the middle cill and had to be flushed off. Not a nice experience.

And it would appear my wages are safe. laugh.png

So any guesses what time they will arrive at Torksey now Tony?

Thanks indeed for that advice. The more I think about it the more I reckon Torksey is our best bet, we're not in too much of a hurry after all.

I was wondering how to work out what time to leave Torksey for the run to Cromwell, so yes please.

Not sure what t'internet will be like in the cut there though. Might have to keep the punters in suspense for a while!

SAM, drinking tea before dawn at Keadby.

BTW Why has nobody mentioned the bl00dy awful noise the trains make going over the sliding bridge? (And I like trains!)

Yes, it is fairly noisy . . . almost as bad as the irritating rattle that keeps occurring on this Forum.

Or perhaps they are in the pub celebrating a quick run biggrin.png

John, how well you know us

smile.png

And here is the result of the 06:30 from Keadby:

Into lock 06:20

Penned out 06:29

Gunness Bridge 06:34 8.2 mph

M180 Bridge 06:51 8.8mph

Dog & Gun 06:51 8.5 mph

Owston Ferry 07:33 8.2 mph

West Stockwith 08:05 8.1 mph

Gainsborough Arches 08:41 7.2 mph

Knaith 09:24 6.8 mph

Maston Mill 09:52 6.4 mph

Torksey Viaduct 1 10:08 5.6 mph

Into Cut 10:15

Turned and moored up 10:18

Sat down, drinking tea and listening to Popmaster 10:30.

So I make that 3hrs 49 minutes.

And who phoned the lockie to see if we'd arrived, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

SAM

As it happens not me. So who was it?

Or perhaps they are in the pub celebrating a quick run biggrin.png

As they have posted a reply they have to be in the pub. Only place to get signal in Torksey!!

Blimey that was quick...though I suppose with whats riding on it I would be watching like a hawk as well.....smile.png

I wasn't worried. I knew what time they passed West Stockwith laugh.png

smile.png

SAM

Not a bad run. Your speeds show how much push you lost from the tide along the way quite nicely. There wouldnt have been much left for the run from Torksey to Cromwell!

As it happens not me. So who was it?

As they have posted a reply they have to be in the pub. Only place to get signal in Torksey!!

I wasn't worried. I knew what time they passed West Stockwith :lol:

Not a bad run. Your speeds show how much push you lost from the tide along the way quite nicely. There wouldnt have been much left for the run from Torksey to Cromwell!

That would explain the comment we heard on channel 74,

smile.png

SAM

So Tony's estimate was pretty spot on. I look forward to the charity donation. Is it decided which charity yet?

So - "moored up at 10:18" just 3 minutes after Tony's forecast - a moral victory ?

Post #10

By 0630 (on Th 25 Sept) around one third of the time for the flood (ingoing tide) running up will have gone. You will get a good push up to Torksey, and based on the speed estimates you have given for your boat I would expect you to be at Torksey about 1000 to1015 at the latest

Maybe a 50% payout would be sufficient ?

You might have been right Rachael but I think you owe Tony an apology because it was damned close run!!!

Not that close. 20 minutes isnt close.

That would explain the comment we heard on channel 74,

Which was?

So - "moored up at 10:18" just 3 minutes after Tony's forecast - a moral victory ?

Post #10

By 0630 (on Th 25 Sept) around one third of the time for the flood (ingoing tide) running up will have gone. You will get a good push up to Torksey, and based on the speed estimates you have given for your boat I would expect you to be at Torksey about 1000 to1015 at the latest

Maybe a 50% payout would be sufficient ?

No. The payout was due if they did it in 3.5 hours!

They didnt.