K&A CM UPDATE

b0atman

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Well we've left the 14 day moorings at Pewsey now, after being moored there for 13 days - guess all the other boats that were moored there when we arrived must have arrived earlier the same day as we did as they are all still in the same spots, with the exception of one young fella who cast off the day before we did.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, there was enough room for us to moor and there were still a couple of decent spots left taboot. This is simply an observation of one of the fairly popular 14 day mooring spots on the entire length of the K&A. It does not mean it's the same everywhere.

There was quite regular movement on the 48 hour visitor moorings through out the time we were there.

Managed to get a spot at Honey street right in front of the pub, it was quite interesting. And then on to Devizes, where there were no available moorings till after the first lock.

We must have passed you. Surprised there was no space at Devises. There were 2 or 3 when we left at 9.30am on Monday.Only passed one moving boat and moored for the night at Wootton Rivers. What a horrible day Monday was, not that today is working out much better.

Well we've left the 14 day moorings at Pewsey now, after being moored there for 13 days - guess all the other boats that were moored there when we arrived must have arrived earlier the same day as we did as they are all still in the same spots, with the exception of one young fella who cast off the day before we did.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, there was enough room for us to moor and there were still a couple of decent spots left taboot. This is simply an observation of one of the fairly popular 14 day mooring spots on the entire length of the K&A. It does not mean it's the same everywhere.

There was quite regular movement on the 48 hour visitor moorings through out the time we were there.

Managed to get a spot at Honey street right in front of the pub, it was quite interesting. And then on to Devizes, where there were no available moorings till after the first lock.

Are you going to Bath, or as far as Bristol?

Nope, change of plans.

We've turned around and are going back up the Caen Hill flight tomorrow, there's a lock closer on the Thames on the 3rd of November that we need to get through in order to make it back onto the GU for winter. I didn't want to feel rushed, and would rather be able to cruise for a day and then have the ability to have a day off if the weather is bad, so we made the decision to turn and head back. We'll get down to Bath next year :)

Yep. Carl runs the Bistro downstairs & Nige runs the bar. Vast improvement on previous years. Recommended.

P.S. Betty. Did you enjoy the reeds through Bishops so much you are going back for a second try?

Saw you come through All Cannings on Monday[i think]

I love those reeds last year, made me think i was back on the Leicester summit.

They're great. Especially when 2 fat boats meet.

Even better I had 2 dozen canoes come up behind me just as I entered the run! They were not happy.

Reeds?? What reeds?

Oh, you all must be referring to the marsh we cruised through - thankfully we passed the Wessex Rose about a 1/2 mile past the end of the swampy bits clapping.gif

xqhZrC9.jpg

Sorry we missed you Dinz - I do remember seeing a boat called Hunters Moon, nice boat :) had I realized it was a members boat I would have given you a wave or toot...will look for you when we come back up

Edited by Bettie Boo

Nope, change of plans.

We've turned around and are going back up the Caen Hill flight tomorrow, there's a lock closer on the Thames on the 3rd of November that we need to get through in order to make it back onto the GU for winter. I didn't want to feel rushed, and would rather be able to cruise for a day and then have the ability to have a day off if the weather is bad, so we made the decision to turn and head back. We'll get down to Bath next year smile.png

We will look out for you and give a wave as we are on our way to bath. At Kintbury at the mo and will be making headway tomorrow.

Yesterday we were looking for a 14 day mooring near Avoncliff / Cross Guns.

Came off the aqueduct heading east and there's a Cart sign saying permit holders only, so continued for a while noting that after the first 4 boats, none had M permits in the window and there was lots of space. At the cafe boat by the swing bridge my wife asked and was told you can moor anywhere along this stretch for 14 days. So we reversed back about 1/4 mile to moor. (and thank you to the Bruce Truce boat for NOT slowing down while I was mooring and pulling my boat away from the bank!)

My question is "Why is there not a sign showing the end of the permit holders stretch" so that occasional visitors like me know where we can moor?

Minor rant over!

We will look out for you and give a wave as we are on our way to bath. At Kintbury at the mo and will be making headway tomorrow.

Sorry Keith, I've just picked up on this post. Have you already passed us? We're still at the top of the flight...having taken a break for a few days; but we are defiantly heading towards Pewsey today. Will keep an eye out for you.boat.gif

I too wondered that when we passed last month. There were plenty of empty spaces, not just at these moorings but at other places signed as long term. Is it that CRT can't let them due to cost or lack of demand.

When along there between Bath and B-O-A last month I noted loads of signs ripped off (more than likely) the time allowed 48 hrs etc and the arrows noting the stretch concerned. Speaking to those who regularly cruise the patch they said its many those who don't like to abide by CRT rules i.e. no sign no enforcement.

I also noted the lack of sign after Avoncliff.

Sorry Keith, I've just picked up on this post. Have you already passed us? We're still at the top of the flight...having taken a break for a few days; but we are defiantly heading towards Pewsey today. Will keep an eye out for you.boat.gif

Yes, we waved to you as we passed on the 13th when you were moored just below DEVIZES.