address for driving licence when livaboard

Corndolly

Featured Posts

Hi I have joined this forum, and have a question:

We are liveaboards with a residential mooring - we are in the process of changing our paper driving licences to our photo licence and to change address. We use a PO Box for our post and the form tells us that they will not accept PO Box as a valid address.

So now don't know what to do for the best.

Has anyone else come across this and how did they overcome it.

Thanks for your time. I am off now to read all the other posts.

Thanks Arthur, just thought it would be illegal if I gave for instance my daughter address, rather than our home moorings?

If you are on an official residential mooring, is the PO box you use operated by the marina, or by a third party? If you pay council tax, then you should be able to get your berth address registered with the Post Office, and that then becomes your official address for all purposes. Speak to your local council to get this done,

Is there any reason you can't use the address of the residential mooring? This is what I have done. All my post is delivered to the Marina office. I informed my insurance company that I lived on a boat at the Marina and had no problems. If you have your licence registered at a friends address don't forget to inform the insurance company where the vehicle is kept.

Jamescheers.gif

Just get creative to get the result you want. Our address is just a mailbox on a wall at our marina, clearly nobody lives in a mail box but we and all the other live aboards do the same. Oh and just to add avoid at all costs using the term C/O.

Go to Royal Mail website and you may well be able to get them to register your address then you are sorted.

Good Luck, Phil

Hi we are on a residential mooring but not on a marina, so we pay Royal Mail for the use of the box. But will investigate further with getting the address registed. Thanks.

Doesn't the ROyal Mail require an address to setup a PO Box? Also seems strange that a residential mooring doesn't have an address with postal facilities.

If you have an 'official' residential address agreed by the local council you will be paying rates/council tax and an address for post to be sent to. You will have to provide a delivery point for royal Mail, which for a house is normally a letter box but can be a box with a lid or a container on a post

Not sure about Royal Mail boxes, but we have a commercial mail box/forwarding address (we CC) and they told us to call Box 123 something like 'Flat 123' or 'Suite 123' or 'Studio 123' or whatever is convenient. Everyone has accepted this. Occasionally large businesses have automated forms for their staff to fill out that are linked to a postcode database, which doesn't have the 'Flat' number, so you need to tell the person to add it manually.

I've just sent my V5 off for change of address (Inc Licence address change) and have a Royal Mail PO box as my 'home' address.

I gave DVLA my address as:

1234 (example PO box number)

Royal mail

Anywhere St (the street of my PO box sorting office address)

Anytown

Anyshire

(Post code)

I'm just hoping that the DVLA data in-putter misses my clever ruse....

I'll let you know if I'm successful

I use my mum's address for everything apart from insurance and they have the marina address even though its not officially residential. I get a few bits of correspondence from them but the marina manager is ok with that. The problem is if you don't give the correct address for your car insurance then you're not covered in the event of an accident.

Edited by blackrose

Wow thank you all for you replies, very helpful, thanks.

The banks, car insurance, car tax on line, phone company etc. all accept our PO box number as our address, so going to complete the form by hand rather than on line and send in a covering letter, and see how it goes. Will let you know.

Have a great day everyone. clapping.gif

Wow thank you all for you replies, very helpful, thanks.

The banks, car insurance, car tax on line, phone company etc. all accept our PO box number as our address, so going to complete the form by hand rather than on line and send in a covering letter, and see how it goes. Will let you know.

Have a great day everyone. clapping.gif

Out of curiosity which bank are you with? I'm going to have to look into this PO Box thing now...

• 9 years later...