Do I need a VHF radio on the tidal Trent

Chris Hills

Featured Posts

If the OP is going north of Keadby then VHF is definitely to be recommended and I can not see the Keadby lock keeper letting you out if the large vessels are moving in the vicinity.

NC is always promoting the use of VHF on the Trent but having heard them chatting/communicating with the boat accompanying them up the Trent towards Torksey and then turning into Torksey far faster & closer to a Springer exiting the cut than I would be happy with I would point out that VHF did nothing to avoid the situation. Only a sharp lookout and good boat positioning/control would have.

This is not a direct pop at NC but more to point out that even enthusiastic use of VHF can not avoid potential dangers.

If the OP is going north of Keadby then VHF is definitely to be recommended and I can not see the Keadby lock keeper letting you out if the large vessels are moving in the vicinity.

NC is always promoting the use of VHF on the Trent but having heard them chatting/communicating with the boat accompanying them up the Trent towards Torksey and then turning into Torksey far faster & closer to a Springer exiting the cut than I would be happy with I would point out that VHF did nothing to avoid the situation. Only a sharp lookout and good boat positioning/control would have.

This is not a direct pop at NC but more to point out that even enthusiastic use of VHF can not avoid potential dangers.

Yes, we had an incident where a similar sized cabin cruiser cut across our bow when we came up the tidal Trent. It was reported.

The very large ones moored at the wharf at Keaby Bridge?

The two very large ones that moor either side of Keadby Lock entrance?

And the ones turning around and heading back to Flixbrough?

Since the end of the Besthorpe traffic over a year ago, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby.

Provided you arrive at Keadby after local High Water there won't be any shipping moving. Anything outbound from either Gunness or Keadby wharves will be long gone, and anything inbound to those wharves will be already berthed up. HW at Keadby will never be sooner than HW at Hull + 1 hour and never later than Hull + one and a half hours depending whether you're on Springs or Neaps.

If you want to get some info on shipping movements at your expected arrival time just in case you do arrive too early for any reason, then ABP will tell you if you phone them, but the VTS are busy people and would prefer that you get it off their website. There is a page with daily updates on planned arrivals and departures which includes all the Trent wharves. Hull tide times are on there too.

They often do if they cant get hold of you on the radio. But then again does the OP know those?

The vast majority of people we have sounded signals too give you a blank expression and just carry on regardless frusty.gif

A good point.....I must admit I have found the same (not just on canals either)

The vast majority of people we have sounded signals too give you a blank expression and just carry on regardless frusty.gif

That's not really at all surprising, if your sound signals are anything like the rubbish you post on here.

That's not really at all surprising, if your sound signals are anything like the rubbish you post on here.

It's not rubbish, it's a simple fact that lots of people don't understand sound signals even when they are correctly performed.

Ed. To pacify the spelling police.

Edited by The Dog House

Do preformed sound signals come with a "use by" date?

Just a simple typo, it happens, sometimes when your predictive text decides it knows better than the typist and you don't spot what's it has done.

However it doesn't change the substance of the post, which stands.

How very helpful Tony?

Would you care to point out what I have said that is "rubbish" on this topic?

Anything above 2mph is fast for a narrowboat though rolleyes.gif

As for passing close to a Springer, as we travel with fenders off I doubt it was that close nor fast as we were entering the lock cutblink.png

If we were approaching the lock cut we would have radioed ahead to Torksey so vessels would have been aware we were coming in. If they were listening of course.

Yes, we had an incident where a similar sized cabin cruiser cut across our bow when we came up the tidal Trent. It was reported.

And the out come was?

Since the end of the Besthorpe traffic over a year ago, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby.

Provided you arrive at Keadby after local High Water there won't be any shipping moving. Anything outbound from either Gunness or Keadby wharves will be long gone, and anything inbound to those wharves will be already berthed up. HW at Keadby will never be sooner than HW at Hull + 1 hour and never later than Hull + one and a half hours depending whether you're on Springs or Neaps.

If you want to get some info on shipping movements at your expected arrival time just in case you do arrive too early for any reason, then ABP will tell you if you phone them, but the VTS are busy people and would prefer that you get it off their website. There is a page with daily updates on planned arrivals and departures which includes all the Trent wharves. Hull tide times are on there too.

I suppose this was a figment of everyones imagination earlier in the year?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/for-businesses/freight

New turbine being delivered to the power station at Farndon.

I suppose this was a figment of everyones imagination earlier in the year?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/for-businesses/freight

New turbine being delivered to the power station at Farndon.

That was a rare 'one off' event, notified well in advance by C&RT . . . . . . and it wasn't going to Farndon . . . you probably meant Staythorpe, but it wasn't going there either.

Whatever you may believe, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby, and there hasn't been since July 2013. Lock keepers will be aware of such as AILs or any other occasional, and now unusual, large stuff on the move and will warn any pleasure craft likely to meet them.

Edited by tony dunkley

That was a rare 'one off' event, notified well in advance by C&RT . . . . . . and it wasn't going to Farndon.

So there are no large vessels at Newark either?

Tony. I thought you would know your local river much better. You dont seem to know much of it below Holme Lock!!

To all those saying " no commercial traffic on the upper Trent" we met this just below newark lock earlier this year...

4DA77E20-F8F6-44B4-8D93-14FA1283FC3D_zps

I agree with NC et al. If you want to play on big rivers then get a VHF and know how to use it. I really can't understand what's gained by not having one.

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

To all those saying " no commercial traffic on the upper Trent" we met this just below newark lock earlier this year...

4DA77E20-F8F6-44B4-8D93-14FA1283FC3D_zps

I agree with NC et al. If you want to play on big rivers then get a VHF and know how to use it. I really can't understand what's gained by not having one.

Cheers

Gareth

That was another rare "one off". . . . and this one was for Staythorpe ( or Farndon if your NC)

I thought personal attacks were against Forum rules?

Only when they are against Tony. Oh no wait sorry that was CRT not the forum rolleyes.gif

And he wonders why he gets so much flak.frusty.gif

Anyway Tony. We are up your neck of the wood next month. Will we be seeing you?

That was another rare "one off". . . . and this one was for Staythorpe ( or Farndon if your NC)

But Tony you said

"Since the end of the Besthorpe traffic over a year ago, there is no commercial traffic above Keadby."

Which is quite clearly wrong.

We are very fortunate in this country,in that it is not necessary to hold a formal qualification to take charge of a pleasure vessel.I count this as a valuable right which we should jealously guard.I do think that some people show little regard for common sense if they disregard sensible safety precautions,Proper navigation lights,V.H.F.,lifejackets,an anchor and a well maintained boat are all simple safety precautions.Against the cost of a boat,the cost is minimal.A fixed V.H.F.radio and aerial can cost less than the cost of a good meal out for a family. Ill equipped boats and crews getting into difficulties will strenghthen the argument that has been put forward,that all skippers should hold a formal qualification.

• Greenie 2