Switch/ fuse for solar panels

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I should have thought about this before I fitted and wired my panels, but there you go. I'd like to incorporate either a fuse or (ideally) a switch between the panels and controller. This is so I can disconnect the panels before I service the batteries, without having to clamber on the roof and disconnect a fiddly connector.

I have 3 x 125 watt panels and a 30 amp MPPT controller. I can place the switch/ fuse just before the positive (6mm) wire enters the controller.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I was going to do this but then someone pointed out the clambering on the roof and disconnecting the fiddly connector approach so I didn't bother.

I've wiped out a couple of times clambering on my roof on cold mornings though so perhaps a switch would be more sensible :)

I haven't really had a need to disconnect the panels yet other than when I took them down for the St Jude storms. What sort of servicing do you do that requires disconnection?

just another thing to go wrong.

undo the positive supply to the controller from whatever panels you 'ave, and go ahead and do your work.

You should have a fuse in the line anyway

The fuse should be between the controller and battery bank or shunt in most installations.

just another thing to go wrong.

undo the positive supply to the controller from whatever panels you 'ave, and go ahead and do your work.

The fuse should be between the controller and battery bank or shunt in most installations.

I know you are right but on my Tracer it says disconnecting from the batteries without first disconnecting the panels will damage the controller! So in the event that the fuse blows the controller will be scrap as well sick.gif

Peter

I know you are right but on my Tracer it says disconnecting from the batteries without first disconnecting the panels will damage the controller! So in the event that the fuse blows the controller will be scrap as well sick.gif

Peter

I fitted an isolator switch between my controller and the panels, as well as an isolator (and then a fuse, of course) betwen the controller and the batteries.

It works well for me.

Peter

Yes my Outback says the same thing. I hadn't considered that possibility but it's an interesting point. My fuse is sized to be bigger than what the Outback can deliver so hopefully it'll hold together.

In practice it doesn't hurt my 30a tracer, I know because I have to reboot it from time to time on cloudy mornings or it gets stuck on a panel voltage under 20v. Usually that's 80-120v. Rebooting goes from say 2a to 8a.

Ps I'd like a switch, any recommendations for one I don't have to build a box for?

A domestic install may typically use something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Isolator-600v-25A-IMO-PRECISION-CONTROLS-32A-SI32-PEL64R-2-/390925703991?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5b04fcdb37

But for occasional use on a small boat install, a normal mains double pole isolator for a consumer unit, or MCB would probably do. There's ready made boxes that will take them OK:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/CED+Consumer+Units/Enclosure+IP20+2+Module/d190/sd2979/p30350

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thinking about it, you need a fuse as close as possible to the batteries as it is the batteries that will blow the cables in the event of a fault. As to a fuse between the panels and the controller, I can not see why as the fuse will be bigger than the max current the panels supply to prevent it blowing on a nice sunny day, in which case the panels will never give you a big enough current to blow the fuse as there is no more power available from the panels. Though pulling the fuse does give you an easy indoor method of disconnection if that is what you want.