Identification help please, grand union?

expatboatee

Featured Posts

I'm gradually scanning my old slides/negs, and this one has me confused. It's in the middle of a set taken around Harefield on the GU. The thing that has me confused is the lack of lock gate beams. We did go canoeing on the K&A as well, so I'd like to think it was there, but in the middle of GU pics?

canalbandw092.jpg

That is not on the Southern Grand Union, I feel sure.

Apart from the fact the lock looks disused, I have never seen Grand Union ground paddles that have any similarity at all to those pictured.

I know almost nowt about K&A locks and paddle gear, so perhaps someone else will offer a view on that!

• Greenie 1

That is a river navigation somewhere, the tree bolls to the right hint at, and the river channel seems to run off to the top right of the picky. Maybe it is at the end of one of the gunpowder factory cuts on the Lee And Stort near Waltham Abbey, or maybe at the end of Troy Cut, or the left hand lock at batchworth lock on to the river chess when it was not adopted by BW and therefore didn't have standard gates.

Is this possibly the filled in lock above the second lock at Batchworth which led into Sabeys pool? It was (still is) at right angles to the cut as I remember but when I saw it first only the outline coping stones were visible.

It would help if "expatboatee" gave us some likely dates, but if it is from the era I'm guessing, then I think there would be a very conspicous bridge in the near distance carrying the former LNWR railway branch to Rickmansworth.

It occurs to me we can only see one set of gates - this could in fact be the entrance to some kind of dry dock, and not on a through route to anywhere else at all.

What lock are you comparing - the one in my link is still there, the other one is gone.

neither directly

in your link you are looking downhill at the tower

In the o/p you are looking uphill at the tower.

Was there a drydock at walkers that faced in that direction?

Edited by Loddon

What lock are you comparing - the one in my link is still there, the other one is gone.

The one that is gone looked out in an entirely different direction, (broadly North west), the one that still exists beside the main lock is over 100 yards away, and faces more South East.

Your link is looking in completely the wrong direction - Sabey's Pool was broadly behind the photographers back (and some distance behind!).

To identify the church

Richard

????

If the mystery picture is the former lock Lawrence talks about then the tower pictured in it is not in vaguely the same location as tower in the picture that has just been included above.

The one that is gone looked out in an entirely different direction, (broadly North west), the one that still exists beside the main lock is over 100 yards away, and faces more South East.

Your link is looking in completely the wrong direction - Sabey's Pool was broadly behind the photographers back (and some distance behind!).

????

If the mystery picture is the former lock Lawrence talks about then the tower pictured in it is not in vaguely the same location as tower in the picture that has just been included above.

Forget the locks in the pictures. It was suggested the church might identify the area. The photo seems to identify the church, although taken from a different location. That gives the area, not which lock

Richard

I think AFs idea of a drydock has merit I'm now trying to rack my brain for churches on the GU with that tower.

Church/Grove is the right style but no dock.

Forget the locks in the pictures. It was suggested the church might identify the area. The photo seems to identify the church, although taken from a different location. That gives the area, not which lock

Richard

Except that's not a church in the Batchworth picture but an office block Edited by Loddon

Richard

Yes you got it. I'm not saying it is, I'm suggesting the turret in the background looks similar. I don't think it's a church but that does not matter.

ETA our posts crossed. I've id'ed it as an office block too.

Edited by mark99

I think AFs idea of a drydock has merit I'm now trying to rack my brain for churches on the GU with that tower.

Church/Grove is the right style but no dock.Except that's not a church in the Batchworth picture but an office block

What bloody fool is imitating churches when building office blocks!

Can't get the staff...

Richard