Yep..it's another rant! And it's about hire boats!

frangar

Featured Posts

Can I join in with a rant and ask the OP not to judge people by their boats!? Some hire boaters are actually almost competent!

Trust me if it had been a private boat I would have ranted more and named them on here! I am more than happy to help any boater.

Cheers

Gareth

Trust me if it had been a private boat I would have ranted more and named them on here! I am more than happy to help any boater.

Cheers

Gareth

It's interesting that you see yourself as 'more than happy to help any boater' but when it comes to pulling on your pants and helping them to understand the 8 to 8 rule you cant be bothered and decide to have an ineffectual rant on here instead

• Greenie 2

Bollocks. If anyone is moored up next to another boat and doesn't realise that them running their engine all night is sodding antisocial they are more than likely to be aggressive if interrupted. It's by definition selfish and thoughtless. They are very unlikely to say oh dear, I never thought of that and switch it off. More probably pissed as rats and looking for a fight.

And a rant is a way of getting it out of one's system in a fairly cheerful manner which does no-one any harm. And we all get a chance to have a go at various people for an assortment of reasons. So everyone wins.

• Greenie 3

It's interesting that you see yourself as 'more than happy to help any boater' but when it comes to pulling on your pants and helping them to understand the 8 to 8 rule you cant be bothered and decide to have an ineffectual rant on here instead

Well I also sent an email to the hire company concerned first thing this morning.....as I said earlier I will post here when I get a reply...so it's not an ineffectual rant especially as others might see read the rant and think twice before running their engine at all hours.....oh and if you think what I said was a full on rant then I'm afraid you are mistaken....if I was really peed off then more than their keys would have been getting wet!

Bollocks. If anyone is moored up next to another boat and doesn't realise that them running their engine all night is sodding antisocial they are more than likely to be aggressive if interrupted. It's by definition selfish and thoughtless. They are very unlikely to say oh dear, I never thought of that and switch it off. More probably pissed as rats and looking for a fight.

And a rant is a way of getting it out of one's system in a fairly cheerful manner which does no-one any harm. And we all get a chance to have a go at various people for an assortment of reasons. So everyone wins.

Indeed...have a green thing!

Cheers

Gareth

Agree! And what's more, at certain times of the year (like now, for example) running an engine until 8pm can be antisocial - for example if you are in a rural area, and there are only a few boats moored, because at this time of night sound travels and spoils the silence for everyone else. Yes, its the rules that you can run it to 8pm but its still antisocial to do so in certain circumstances.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps the company should have mentioned the BW guidelines* when explaining when the engine should be run.

I hired from Excellence Afloat at Coventry earlier this year and the proprietor certainly explained the 8 - 8 guidelines to me as part of his very thorough briefing.

Graham

Just for balance. Came up the Foxton flight this evening and on the way back from the pub walked passed a nice boat, who were having a BBQ at the front and a suitcase gennie running at the back at the back just before 9. As there was so much room between the few boats on these 48hr penalty charge moorings there was no noise interference.

The two hire boats outside the pub (no mooring allowed) both set off just before 8 into the gloom with bottles open and music playing, far more intrusive to those they passed in the dark I

when we hired I don't remember ever being told only to run your engine between 8am-8pm (unless underway), however always told that you need at least 5 hrs of engine running a day in order to run the electrics and have sufficient power to start the engine in the morning. Always told to run engine if using the Toaster or hairdryer!

Whilst the hire companies didn't specify the 'times', they did tell us to ensure that we wouldn't disturb people using it! I learnt about the 8-8 rule by research on this good forum as a lurker!

What he said.