Mounting a porcelain sink

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

So, I picked up a nice old porcelain corner sink at a rec yard the other day. It's going to be lovely in my newly remodelled bathroom....

It doesn't have any mounting holes, being designed to sit on those little cast angle brackets that stick out from the wall. I do not have these brackets, and I do not want to mount it on brackets, as it will restrict my access to the storage under the sink. If I have to I will get some steel brackets fabricated which follow the line of the sink as close as possible, and have a rounded profile (to save my noggin when I come out from rooting around in the cupboard beneath the sink...) However, I think I can mount it without...

I can get a batten along the wall which will support both of the straight edges of the sink. This will hold the sink in place quite happily (the extent of each corner running past the centre of gravity). I can then fix it in place with brackets screwed onto it. I will then need some sort of adhesive to stop the sink from falling forwards when someone leans on (yes, "leans" on) the front edge. I will be sticking to plywood walls, and can vouch for their load bearing capacity. So, the adhesive will essentially be stopping the back corner of the sink from sliding up the wall...

So, what sort of adhesive should I use?

And, should I seal the Plywood as I would before tiling?

Thanks!

If you can't follow the rules about installing a sink properly,, how do you expect boaters to follow the convoluted moorings guidance.?

Tongue in cheek smiley not available...

I do not expect boaters to follow much, if any, guidance. That was the basis of my point.

Now, do you know anything about adhesive?

I'm not sure if I've understood the sink mounting arrangement (with/without brackets?), but personally I don't think I'd want to rely on any adhesive to keep a sink mounted to a wall - especially one which may have to bear the load of a person leaning on it.

I've mounted lots of things to bulkheads using Marineflex, but nothing as heavy as a porcelain sink. Stixall from Toolstation is an alternative to Marineflex. Just google them.

Edited by blackrose

If you find an adhesive strong enough to glue the sink/bracket assembly to the plywood, ( sorry - that's an huge 'if')

The plywood will simply delaminate, and the sink will break your toes when it hits the floor.

I suggest you anchor it through the wall, and mount a metal (preferably) or wooden batten on the reverse side of the bulkhead to spread the load of the bolts

Thank you all for your constructive comments, I value my toes, in fact my whole feet, and shins...

The sink does not have any mounting holes, nor any place to put any (not sure I'd want to start drilling porcelain if it did though!); I cannot bolt it to the wall. However, I can mount it so that it is supported across the whole length of its two right angled edges, and I can then clamp the sink against the wall on top of these supports. So mounted the sink will be stable and will work well. The centre of gravity will be quite a distance behind the ends of the edges, even when full of water. I only want to add an extra element of security to this arrangement by sticking the sink to the wall, to guard against the possibility that it falls forwards from its mounting platform, pulling upwards out of its clamps and breaks some part of my lower anatomy.

I am confident in the strength of the plywood lamination over the area of 1200cm squared.

Rather than using adhesive to stop the back corner "sliding up the wall" could you not fix a block or bead above the sink?

Steve

That is a sensible suggestion Steve, but there will in fact be tiles above the sink, and there is not room for any additional structure... Theoretically the tiles will perform this function, but I am not going to rely on structural bathroom tiles to keep me off of crutches.

I would use hard as nails. People underestimate the strength of modern adhesives.

Ian.

Isn't it called No More Nails?

It's totally unsuitable for boats because it's too brittle. You need flexible structural adhesives/sealants on boats.

http://www.marinemastics.com/marine-flex/marine-flex-one-tube.html

Edited by blackrose

Hi Tom,

Do you have any images of the sink, it would definitely help with suggestions?

I've just fitted two reclaimed sinks in our boat, one a late victorian mop sink from a London scullery! Very heavy, but brilliant looking feature in the galley...I think! smile.png

I shall have to wait for the morrow, sink is out on the roof and my phone's flash would not be up to the job...

Most corner sinks (especially old ones) could also be invisibly fixed to the wall using a pair of concealed brackets which fit over a 'V' shaped section of the rear skirt underneath the sink.

The used to be made from cast iton but now they are pressed steel. Like this:

wash-basin-concealed-wall-hanger-bracket

For sale on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Arley-Heavy-Duty-Concealed-Basin-Sink-Wall-Hangers-Brackets-/141358000906?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item20e997eb0a

I bet these will fit your corner basin!

MtB

Well I've fixed hundreds of them in place using those brackets and none of mine fell down!

You can ask me how I know this...

:)

MtB

sorry mike.

that was a response to the idea of mounting the sink with just adhesive,

without any supports or brackets.