New Islington Boat on fire

DeanS

Featured Posts

A GRP boat has caught fire in New Islington Marina.

Owner had left it at the marina.

It had no combustibles on board.

Midnight. Boom. Marina boaters quickly moved another boat moored beside it to safety.

Foul play/arson, a definite possibility/probability.

Blimey well done to the quick thinking people there & much commiseration to the owners of the boat..that's a terrible thing to happen.

I'm not sure given other problems there that I would be happy if my boat was moored there at the moment....

Cheers

Gareth

No combustable materials suggests there were no batteries onboard. I doubt that very much and they would be my prime suspect.

nope. The batts were stolen a month ago.

BOOM - suggests gas bottle(s) on board.

nope. owner removed it after last vandalism incident. (I believe)

What history and problems?

MtB

Have a search! Not hard to find both on here and in the local (Manchester) press....or I'm sure DeanS could enlighten you!

boatblaze.jpg

Blimey that's not a little fire is it? I hope the police etc are taking it seriously?

Cheers

Gareth

Have a search!

Cheers

Gareth

Hang on. John V in another thread posted

Quoted proof is needed when you accuse somebody of something, that is only fair.

When you accuse somebody and are completely unable to provide any proof. That is unfair

If this is pointed out and you can't produce any evidence and you fail to apologise that speaks volumes about you.

[unquote]

Have a search! Not hard to find both on here and in the local (Manchester) press....or I'm sure DeanS could enlighten you!

I DID have a brief search and read DeanS's thread about how great it is there. Then I got lazy and thought I'd ask the forum.

Thing is, If you'd prefer not to say what the problems are, that fine with me.

I'm not that concerned as to spend much time researching. I have more than enough other things to waste my time doing, like posting all my rubbish on here!

:D

MtB

• Greenie 1

I DID have a brief search and read DeanS's thread about how great it is there. Then I got lazy and thought I'd ask the forum.

Thing is, If you'd prefer not to say what the problems are, that fine with me.

I'm not that concerned as to spend much time researching. I have more than enough other things to waste my time doing, like posting all my rubbish on here!

biggrin.png

MtB

I wouldn't want to live there

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/emergency-public-meeting-called-after-7628198

K

I wasn't aware I accused ANYBODY of doing anything. However the problems especially on the public (visitor mooring) side of the marina have been listed both on here and various blogs quite a few times since the marina opened. It's a shame cos on paper it's a good spot...however the location is less than perfect. I thought DeanS had said that the public side was not a great place to be. I suppose we should ask what side this boat was.

Anyway I really can't be bothered with point scoring on here. I'm more concerned that a chap has lost his boat and if it wasn't for some quick thinking people more people could have lost their boats if not their lives.

Cheers

Gareth

I thought DeanS had said that the public side was not a great place to be. I suppose we should ask what side this boat was.

Yep to confirm, the public side has no security. This has led to a range of issues in the past, and present. Generally it's fine if you moor up, and keep an eye on your boat. Issues seem to arise when people leave their boats with no one to watch it, on the public side.

Eh? Nor was I.

Who said you accused anyone of anything?! In which post?

MtB

It wasn't aimed at you...it was aimed at Jenlyn from a few posts up! I couldn't be bothered to sort out his post & quote as I'm waiting to go down the boat lift so on my phone with an iffy signal!

Cheers

Gareth

it amazes me that people can get miffed, and have forum squabbles, while descending in their boat in a boat lift. TRULY ASTONISHING...LOL.

I'm waiting for my slot & it's raining so I'm indoors at the mo! Even I'm not that sad!

Out of interest what side was this Dean? I do hope the police are taking it seriously...they always seem to treat stuff like this as petty crime which really annoys me.

Cheers

Gareth

I'm waiting for my slot & it's raining so I'm indoors at the mo! Even I'm not that sad!

Out of interest what side was this Dean? I do hope the police are taking it seriously...they always seem to treat stuff like this as petty crime which really annoys me.

Cheers

Gareth

It was on the public side, which is where the "visitor" moorings are situated. The private side is locked overnight, but the public side is open. There's a cctv camera situated just above the burnt out boat, but it is normally left pointing in the opposite direction to give some protection to the boats down the side arm.

At the last meeting with the council, we said that fire engines would have a hard time getting to a burning boat. Last night we were standing next to the boat as it burnt, while watching 3 fire engines circulating the marina, with no way of getting closer.Eventually they had to join hoses from the Chips building side, and run them about 100metres. If this HAD been a narrowboat, with people inside, the reaction time from the fire brigade would have been too late I'm afraid. Very sobering.

it amazes me that people can get miffed, and have forum squabbles, while descending in their boat in a boat lift. TRULY ASTONISHING...LOL.

Have a read around todays posts on the forum Dean it looks like the last Friday in August is "National Grumpy Day"argue.gif

K