Featured Posts

Me and a friend wish to buy a boat to live on, we have no idea about anything really on what is required to do everything right and legal.

any information what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

may I suggest you try the search button mate because that's a whole can of worms you may have already opened ,oh and welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum......Sucessfully living on a boat is a complete lifestyle choice, you have to want to live on a boat, If you have a background of boating of any type it will be a big advantage. Living on a boat means you have to go boating. Please don't confuse it with cheap housing because it isn't]

Don't jump in until you have looked very carefully, lots of people jump without knowing what they are getting into and regret it

Goodd luck

Hiya RD, welcome and heed what has already been said, living on a boat IS a lifestyle choice, so do your research, look at as many boats as you can Apolloduck is a very good source of boats for sale usually with loads of pix. Do come back and ask as many questions as you like, you will get responses fairly quickly so do check back.

Phil

The big difference between living on a boat and in a house is that a house has services 'delivered' (electricity, gas, water, sewage etc)

If you havn't experienced the 'boaty life' then the usual recommendation is to try it for 2 or 3 weeks (hire a boat) and see how you get on trying to generate your own electricity, filling the water tanks every few days, carrying 25kg bags of coal and 25kg gas cylinders miles down a muddy towpath - then trudging back again to find somewhere to empty your toilet.

Its not all 'doom & gloom' but there are almost as many 'bad' times as there are 'good times'

When you are sitting out in the sunshine, the birds are tweeting and the glass of wine and pickled egg are sat waiting for you, its hard to remember the 'bad' times when you are frozen in, the boat won't move, the toilets full and the water tank is empty.

Do a lot of research, then do some more, then come back with some specific questions - your original question is a bit like the question in the hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - for which the answer is 42.

"The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and built from organic components was created and named "Earth"

The big difference between living on a boat and in a house is that a house has services 'delivered' (electricity, gas, water, sewage etc)

If you havn't experienced the 'boaty life' then the usual recommendation is to try it for 2 or 3 weeks (hire a boat) and see how you get on trying to generate your own electricity, filling the water tanks every few days, carrying 25kg bags of coal and 25kg gas cylinders miles down a muddy towpath - then trudging back again to find somewhere to empty your toilet.

Its not all 'doom & gloom' but there are almost as many 'bad' times as there are 'good times'

When you are sitting out in the sunshine, the birds are tweeting and the glass of wine and pickled egg are sat waiting for you, its hard to remember the 'bad' times when you are frozen in, the boat won't move, the toilets full and the water tank is empty.

Do a lot of research, then do some more, then come back with some specific questions - your original question is a bit like the question in the hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - for which the answer is 42.

"The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and built from organic components was created and named "Earth"

That sold it! Ideal lifestyle! Which wine would you recomend with pickled eggs though?

OP. Welcome to the forum. This site is a gold mine of info. Dig deep as but other posters have said look before you leap. Living away from bricks and mortar ain't nessisarily cheap and needs focus (including that DIY place).

Good hunting.

Russell

Welcome to the forum.

As above really but I will start you off in your search. wink.png

You need about £5,000 per annum for the boat, this will vary up and down a little depending on boat usage and where you keep it, a mooring in London for instance could be in the region of £10,000.

This link will give you the requirements if the boat will be on C&RT waters

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating

I think one of the big decisions is whether you want to live on the towpath or in a marina. There are advantages to either - personally, I like the marina option as I have electric hookup, water laid on, a VERY short walk to empty the cassette for the toilet and car parking. But I know that for some on this forum, the towpath is the only place to be!