Re painting boat where sand has been used as non slip

Featured Posts

Looking for some advise. I have a new boat built and designed by Tyler Wilson boats. The new design lives up to its advertising in the tow path, back page is the pictures of our boat and the first one built and designed by Tim Tyler. We love her and everything about her, but Johnathan Wilson recommended a painter called Dean Roberts, he has been the only one recommended by Johnathan that I wish I had never met. Consequently, due to the appalling paint job we have decided to put it right ourselves after no response from Dean and Johnathan in how this will get put right. Problem is that we have been getting advise form various people who paint boats and the painter out sand on the boat for a non slip surface. I have been told that no paint will stick to this and will lift of if we try to paint on it. Anyone know how we can sort this out?

As a short term( couple of years, may lastlonger) you can wash down and scrub thoroughly with a caravan type cleaner. Then a braid roughly with a wire brush ( knuckleduster type). This is very hard work.

Alternative is scabbler and start again.

Depending on how good the original sanded surface is, you could try scrubbing it with a a stiff floor brush and a solution of sugar soap, that will certainly get it clean, and should take any "gloss" that might still be on the existing paint.

Alternatively, I found the best way to remove it competely was with a sharp paint scraper, which is laborious but effective. I also found that old paint is easier to remove with a scraper if it has had the hot sun on it for a few hours.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thank you, what is scabbler? Willing to do what ever it takes to put it right, starting again if we have to

As a short term( couple of years, may lastlonger) you can wash down and scrub thoroughly with a caravan type cleaner. Then a braid roughly with a wire brush ( knuckleduster type). This is very hard work.

Alternative is scabbler and start again.

Depending on how good the original sanded surface is, you could try scrubbing it with a a stiff floor brush and a solution of sugar soap, that will certainly get it clean, and should take any "gloss" that might still be on the existing paint. Alternatively, I found the best way to remove it competely was with a sharp paint scraper, laborious but effective.

Thank you for the advise, had not thought of sugar soap

Hi how long ago was it done? if you are not happy and it is only a few months ago trading standards might be the way to go. Did you pay Dean or Jonny ? again it matters because whilst Jonny might have recommended him he is not responsible for his poor work this time (you are only as good as the last job) I say this because I have seen Jonny sort out a problem from a good few years previous that had gone wrong with something his company had done.

Peter

I took about 30 years of paint and sand off the front deck of mine this summer probably about 2 square metres, I just used a blowlamp and a scraper absolutely no problem. I did try paint stripper but it would have taken gallons of the stuff and sugar soap won't remove paint will it I thought it was just for prepping surfaces prior to decorating.

K

Sander springs to mine

The problem is the sand/paint mix is often tougher than the sand paper you're using to sand it off... so you end up sanding your sander... I'm sure that made sense somewhere...

I like the Tercoo wheels for removing painted sand too. Very efficent and relatively quick.

I took about 30 years of paint and sand off the front deck of mine this summer probably about 2 square metres, I just used a blowlamp and a scraper absolutely no problem. I did try paint stripper but it would have taken gallons of the stuff and sugar soap won't remove paint will it I thought it was just for prepping surfaces prior to decorating.

K

No it won't, but the OP was asking about preparing an already painted surface for re-painting.

If the paint in the sanded areas is clean (good scrub required) I scrub lightly with white spirit and then use well thinned paint over the sanded area. I have never had any problem with lifting/peeling paint in 20 odd years of this treatment, the only problem is after 20 years of this system there is not a lot on non-slip left.

If you want to remove the sand the ideas above will help.

Non-slip finish may not look lovely but there are times and places it can save a very serious injury from a bad fall.

No it won't, but the OP was asking about preparing an already painted surface for re-painting.

Then the name of the topic must have fooled me "Re painting boat where sand has been used as non slip". I took it that was the question and that's what I replied to having recently had to do it. A bit of autocorrect or a typo has rendered the last para a bit confusing but I took

"people who paint boats and the painter out sand on the boat for a non slip surface. I have been told that no paint will stick to this and will lift of if we try to paint on it. Anyone know how we can sort this out"

means they wish to repaint an anti slip area and need to remove the paint and from the look of replies from others they think that too.

K

Edited by kevinl

Our boat is a Jonathon Wilson (pre Tyler), about 8 years old now. I am intending to repaint the roof which has a sanded non slip finish. As a trial I am repainting the rear hatch. Initially I tried hand wire brushing to get a key for the new paint but in the end I sanded down the cover last week with a Bosch orbital sander, this worked faster than I thought, the sander seemed to remove or smooth off the sand from the paint much faster than it ruined the sanding disc. I have painted the hatch with some undercoat, this seemed to go OK and will inspect next time I go to the boat.

I have adopted this approach as the gloss paint on the hand rails has cracked/rippled badly as it appears to be incompatible with the underlying roof paint. I am thus using the rear hatch as a trial area, if the new paint degrades over the winter I will strip all the paint off before repainting the whole roof.

Do you have full information on the paint materials used for your boat? This would remove potential incompatibility problems as you would be able to use the same manufacturer's paint.

Chris.

Edited to remove typos. D'Oh!

Edited by jonesthenuke

Hi how long ago was it done? if you are not happy and it is only a few months ago trading standards might be the way to go. Did you pay Dean or Jonny ? again it matters because whilst Jonny might have recommended him he is not responsible for his poor work this time (you are only as good as the last job) I say this because I have seen Jonny sort out a problem from a good few years previous that had gone wrong with something his company had done.

Peter

The last time dean painted it was last November, it is a long story re the paint job and his work, but I have no problem with Johnathan at all, it is not his fault Dean did a bad job. Unfortunalty payed dean £1600 as part payment, he said he would come back in the spring and put it right but he does not respond to me, I have been trying to contact him since the spring time, so looke like I have lost the money and now have to pay out more to get it sorted out, well leson learnt!

Our boat is a Jonathon Wilson (pre Tyler), about 8 years old now. I am intending to repaint the roof which has a sanded non slip finish. As a trial I am repainting the rear hatch. Initially I tried hand wire brushing to get a key for the new paint but in the end I sanded down the cover last week with a Bosch orbital sander, this worked faster than I thought, the sander seemed to remove or smooth off the sand from the paint much faster than it ruined the sanding disc. I have painted the hatch with some undercoat, this seemed to go OK and will inspect next time I go to the boat.

I have adopted this approach as the gloss paint on the hand rails has cracked/rippled badly as it appears to be incompatible with the underlying roof paint. I am thus using the rear hatch as a trial area, if the new paint degrades over the winter I will strip all the paint off before repainting the whole roof.

Do you have full information on the paint materials used for your boat? This would remove potential incompatibility problems as you would be able to use the same manufacturer's paint.

Chris.

Hi Chris, that is the problem the painter will not respond to me to find out what paint he used, I do have a small pot of paint he left on the boat so I am now trying to find out what it was, unfortunately the paint has dripped over some of the witting on the tin so finding it hard to work out. I also think he mentioned that he added thinners to it, but as I understand paint from what others have told me, but I am not an expert in this, I need to find out if he used thinners or white sprit, and my only memory is he mentioned thinners.

The boat is fab, all that worked on her I can only praise apart from the painter. Tim has come up with a fantastic design and john and Tim are such lovely people.

Edited by Gatesofrome

Then the name of the topic must have fooled me "Re painting boat where sand has been used as non slip". I took it that was the question and that's what I replied to having recently had to do it. A bit of autocorrect or a typo has rendered the last para a bit confusing but I took

"people who paint boats and the painter out sand on the boat for a non slip surface. I have been told that no paint will stick to this and will lift of if we try to paint on it. Anyone know how we can sort this out"

means they wish to repaint an anti slip area and need to remove the paint and from the look of replies from others they think that too.

K

So sorry, I am dyslectic so some times the spell check puts in words and I miss it, it should have said the painter put sand on the boat for a non slip surface, really sorry for any confusion :-)

Chris.

Forgot to add, what a brill idea using the hatch as a trial, and thank you every one for your ideas, I will have a go and let you know which one worked out :-)

Hi Chris, that is the problem the painter will not respond to me to find out what paint he used, I do have a small pot of paint he left on the boat so I am now trying to find out what it was, unfortunately the paint has dripped over some of the witting on the tin so finding it hard to work out. I also think he mentioned that he added thinners to it, but as I understand paint from what others have told me, but I am not an expert in this, I need to find out if he used thinners or white sprit, and my only memory is he mentioned thinners.

The boat is fab, all that worked on her I can only praise apart from the painter. Tim has come up with a fantastic design and john and Tim are such lovely people.

Post a piccy of the tin and we may be able to identify it for you from either a number or part word.

So sorry, I am dyslectic so some times the spell check puts in words and I miss it, it should have said the painter put sand on the boat for a non slip surface, really sorry for any confusion :-)

Absolutely no need to apologise I understood what you meant unfortunately David Schweizer didn't and tried to say I had misunderstood when quite obviously it's him in the wrong. As I said although you don't seem to see it done any more I successfully removed 30 years of painted over sand and manky paint off my deck with a blowlamp. It softened the paint which I then scrapped off in lumps, cheap and effective way of doing the job, old fashioned but it's the way we all used to remove paint in the past.

K

One question is whether he used actual sand (birdcage sandsand was particularly popular 20 years ago, I remember) or one of the modern additives that you can get now. If it's actual sand it can be difficult to paint over and even more difficult to remove, and is also a rust magnet because when it gets a bit worn it let's the water through, but if it's the proper modern stuff none of these 3 points are true.