the wind today

charles123

Featured Posts

Well in the end I thought I'd go and check ours.

Not the disaster story that some others have had, but the guy with the boat moored immediately alongside us, (pontoon moorings), insists on leaving a rusty old TV aeriel on his roof in an inadequate stand, and once again this was between the two boats, scraping at the cabin paint :blush:

I hope it's a lot better today, as we are hoping to take her out.

However much of the route is in a heavily wooded cutting, so I hope we don't find any major trees down, though B)

Just been talking to mike, apprently a lorry was blown off bridge into a canal or somthing, possably the shroppy... Dunnoo if thats true?

Daniel

An artic. has been blown over a canal bridge at Skipton. Sadly, the cab fell onto the bank, killing the driver.

I think this may what you were referring to.

Howard Anguish

Got a bit hairy out at glasson. We had 2-3 foot waves at one point B) The odd one reached up to the windows...I got a mite concerned! A bit of water came in where the exhaust pipe should be but other than that it was ok in the end. had to stay at home and look after it though. A few yachts looked like they were about to tip up but I don't think anything of great importance actually flew off any thing. I think all we lost was a chimney hat.

A bit of water came in where the exhaust pipe should be but other than that it was ok in the end.

I've had nightmares about this! Our exhaust is only about 4 inches above the water line and we've been rocking like mad in this wind. Is it possible water could come in, flood the engine and then flood the boat? Our's is air-cooled, with radiator from some old van.

Neil

I've had nightmares about this! Our exhaust is only about 4 inches above the water line and we've been rocking like mad in this wind. Is it possible water could come in, flood the engine and then flood the boat? Our's is air-cooled, with radiator from some old van.

Neil

This ought not be a problem but in theory water could come in but you are in the best situation to understand how high any waves are. I think you will be okay but as a precaution can you block the hole, or tape over it? You will of course have to remember to take it off before running the engine, a small amount that did get in ought to be forced out by turning the engine over but I am no expert

Charles

Hi

Glad you got home ok I work at the lab near not far from where your boat is at Prestonbrook hope the boats are ok mine is there as well. I walk home a long the canal home about 8 miles that was an experience two large trees down at Moore one at Walton. I wonder how long it will take Mike Webb to clear them hope its not long because a start boating again at half term in feb.

thanks david & julie be down tomorrow

i like the wind,or any minor extreme weather ,its not every day an invisible force knocks you off your feet,sure some places get no wether at all,and the work created for insurance ,fence ,roof ,recovery,staff is good,obviously some people die condolences to anyone ,but wind is good,fog too and snoww,wheres the snow gone?or frost?its the end of the world <_<

We've finally had the chance to survey the damage since today was the first day that we were both at home. The pond was covered in trellis and plant pots, the greenhouse is almost devoid of glass and the contents scattered all over the garden, the fence between us and our neighbour (their boundry) is all down including two new panels erected last year. Compared to others though we've come off fairly lightly. My other half tells me that on nights on Wednesday night the roller shutter door was ripped completely off the side of the factory and sent into oblivion, just as he was about to go and open it! Scarey or what? <_<

An artic. has been blown over a canal bridge at Skipton. Sadly, the cab fell onto the bank, killing the driver.

I think this may what you were referring to.

Howard Anguish

Sad news for her family.

Details of this incident here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6278139.stm

Scroll down through a sad list of those that lost their lives in the storms to see reference to this accident.

Certainly puts into perspective the huge travel problems I had getting to and from Manchester by the Trans Pennine express, matterless really.

Edited by MJG

Went to see Theodora yesterday. Chimley missing. I will have to have a search around with a magnet. It can't be far away from the boat.

Nick

Went to see Theodora yesterday. Chimley missing. I will have to have a search around with a magnet. It can't be far away from the boat.

Went to check Talpidae on Fridaaay. Chimley missing. Only took 5 minutes with Sea Searcher, but was on the opposite side to where I expected to find it and a good six feet wide of the boat.

went to boat over the weekend and the rain cap has come off the top of chimney, the plank that is on the cabin roof had moved, the top of aerial, the antenna i think lol has got tangled in the mooring rope and life belt was heading for the water, my previous boat is in the marina and the owner hasnt been to it since he bought it well maybe once but he hasnt kept it clean, the lifebelt is tied on but it is the water next to it

a few ripped canopies and cratch covers and thats it

but i cant help but think some of these people would have been better of staying at home?

If they are able to, I agree that they really should, but as Smudge continuously tells me, it's not that easy for lorry drivers. Unfortunately, they have to be at their destination, on time, no exuses, no exceptions. Otherwise they're out of a job. It's really not the drivers choice, they are on such a tight deadline by their employers, who in turn, are on a deadline by their distributors.

btw, Smudge was a HGV driver for almost 20 years and he had first hand experience of this, all the time! :cheers:

What does wind me up tho, is the people on the news complaining that they haven't had any electricity for 24 hours! Yes, it's not an ideal situation, but shouldn't they be thankful that they have a roof, the wall hasn't fallen on their car, a tree hasn't fallen through their house, or, god forbid, the lorry their husband was driving wasn't blown off the road! <_<

Sorry, had to vent,

My condolances go to the families of all the people who lost their lives in the weather last week.

....... but i cant help but think some of these people would have been better of staying at home?

For those of us that live on board, we were probably better off at work!

Wheelhouse roof of a Replica Dutch Barge at our mooring blew completely off, landing some 100 feet away, just missing another barge wheelhouse.

When we got back home (on board) our dog greeted us much more so than normal!!

Our friends moored adjacent to us (on a 30' GRP cruiser) found everything that was on shelves / worktops on the floor.

Waves were apparently 4 to 5 feet high.

Ian

my brother is an arctic lorry driver and has been for 18 years and my step son has for 13 so they undertsand what the families are going through and the rush of having to do their drops on time collect this take that there, tonight my step son is having a night out after his driving time is up at kent then on friday he will be at aberdeen for the night

also it is snowing here now

also it is snowing here now

Where's here? Goole or someplace else?

Anybody else got snow?

I bet we don't get any, it always seems to miss us :cheers:

edit: just noticed, Adendri's brother must be used to it <_<

my brother is an arctic lorry driver
Edited by Moley