From Worcester which way .....

Dean Lincs

Featured Posts

Hi we have booked our first narrow boar holiday starting in Worcester and have two possible routes that we would like you opinions on. We are looking for a fairly relaxed holiday without to much stress and plenty of good food and drink in pubs along the way. Not bothered about going to far, I think quality rather than quantity would be the way to look at things.

The two routes that I can see are :-

a) North from Worcester on the River Seven to join the Staff & Worcs canal. Then north to Autherley junction. Turn round and then back the way we came.

B) South on the River Seven the on the River Avon to Stratford. Turn round and back the same way.

We are interested in you views between the two routes and any suggestions on good pubs along the way(s).

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dean

The Severn is a doddle. All the locks are manned, but obviously you need to keep en eye on opening/closing times and river levels.

The Staffs & Worcs is my favourite canal. Nice scenery, locks at regular intervals, most canalside pubs pretty good. Choice of canal side supermarkets at Kidderminster so you can stock up on essentials. The only slight drawback is that you will need to negotiate the staircase lock at Stourport having had little experience of lock operation. It doesn't matter whether you are going up or down; start with the upper lock full and the lower one empty and you can't go too far wrong ( as long as you remember to check for traffic coming the other way.)

The Avon is different from the canal. It's bigger and more open, and passes though some very nice small towns and villages with plenty of local history. Tewkesbury, Pershore, Evesham, Bidford and Stratford are within an easy day's cruise of eachother, You can moor pretty much anywhere on the towpath side of the canal, but you need to use official visitor moorings on the Avon. Bob the Lockie at Avon Lock, Tewkesbury will flog you a "Guide to the Avon", which will show you where they are. There's sometimes a bit of pressure on the nicer mooring spots at weekends, and especially bank holidays. During the week it's not usually a problem.

It's personal preference, really.

How long have you got? Worcester to Stourport then up the S&W to the Stourbridge canal thence to Merry Hill, Black Country Museum, into Birmingham back down the W&B to Worcester is very doable in 2 weeks - Tardebigge locks can be a bit of a faff, though.....

Thanks for the replies so far. We have one week so I don't think the route through Birmingham will be do-able for us.

Cotswoldman - I think we would like do experience a few locks

PailG - Thanks for your views on both routes. They sound quite different. I like the sound of the relaxing river route but you have me interested in the staircase locks, sound like good fun.

Can anyone recommend particular pubs on either route?

Can anyone recommend particular pubs on either route?

Take a look at this current thread for S&W pubs: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69079#entry1373832

Severn pubs: my favourite is the Lower Lode (just south of the Avon junction) but there are others!

Avon pubs: we like Pershore (many pubs), Eckington (can't remember the name, a brisk walk from the river into the village), Offenham. Not keen on Evesham,

Edited by keble

If heading north, rather than go straight up and down the Severn, I would suggest that in one direction you take the river, but in the other go via the Droitwich and Worcester & Birmingham Canals. The Dotiwich is a delightful trip with a combination of wide locks, narrow locks with sideponds and a new staircase pair. Its all pretty rural, even through Vines Park in the town centre, where you can you can tie up in Netherwich Basin.

If heading north, rather than go straight up and down the Severn, I would suggest that in one direction you take the river, but in the other go via the Droitwich and Worcester & Birmingham Canals. The Dotiwich is a delightful trip with a combination of wide locks, narrow locks with sideponds and a new staircase pair. Its all pretty rural, even through Vines Park in the town centre, where you can you can tie up in Netherwich Basin.

I'd second this -- the Droitwich trip is well worth doing. Head out of Worcester to Hanbury, down to Droitwich, then out to the Severn and up to Stourport.

And my last suggestion is to visit the online route planner:

http://canalplan.eu/

If you use this to plan your cruise, you can use the "virtual cruise" feature, which shows you maps and photographs of the main features along the way.

This may well help you to decide which way you are going to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Not when I was there last week. But the lock is easy to use with a good sign giving instructions.

When I went through there, but this was when it was still BW.

There was a lock keeper there but only assisted if you asked him to, personally we worked it ourselves