no hot water? Think of the reset button !

Featured Posts

Let me tell you the problem I had with the hot water on my narrowboat.
Undoubtedly, many people know the answer, but maybe newbies, like me, will have difficulties.
Despite my research on the forum, I have not found. Perhaps because I have trouble reading English when words are too technical.
And my owner's manual, yet documented, do not talk about this problem.
Besides, I've realized that I do not have the user manual for my immersion heater (built by Thermtec Ldt).

Therefore:

After several weeks of sailing, we went back to our usual mooring place.
A few days after our return, we had no hot water.
We never had this problem before.
The hot water is produced by the engine or by an "immersion heater".
Upon arrival, as soon as we plugged into the electrical network, I turn on the immersion heater with a hidden switch under the rear stairs.
But this time, although the switch was turned on, the water is not heated.
ke9cia.jpg
After several days of research, I removed the wood panels to access the calorifier.
mvghfp.jpg
On top of the calorifier, there is the head of the immersion heater. It is protected by a white plastic cover.
11tommt.jpg
Once the cover removed, I found two small blocks: one (n°2 on picture) adjusts the temperature of the hot water. The other(n°1 on picture) has a small button "reset".
2uemaf9.jpg
I pressed this button, there was a small "click" and a few minutes later, we had hot water again clapping.gif
Well, if it can help someone ...

Its a thermal cutout to prevent the water in the calorifier overheating if the themostat in the heating element fails. Possible causes for it to have been triggered are:

• thermostat has failed - replace it
  • thermostat is set to too high a temperature - turn it down
  • if your calorifier has a coil which carries engine cooling water or water from a back boiler, that has got too hot and triggered the cutout.

:

After several weeks of sailing, we went back to our usual mooring place.

A few days after our return, we had no hot water.

We never had this problem before.

The hot water is produced by the engine or by an "immersion heater".

Upon arrival, as soon as we plugged into the electrical network, I turn on the immersion heater with a hidden switch under the rear stairs.

But this time, although the switch was turned on, the water is not heated. .

If this happens often, delay switching on the immersion after going for a sail. The engine may/will heats the water up to a higher temp than the immersion safety breaker is set at.

If this happens often, delay switching on the immersion after going for a sail. The engine may/will heats the water up to a higher temp than the immersion safety breaker is set at.

If it happens repeatedly, it means the primary control thermostat has failed and the safety cutout is stepping in to prevent the water from boiling in the calorier. Replace the thermostat before any further use.

MtB

If it happens repeatedly, it means the primary control thermostat has failed and the safety cutout is stepping in to prevent the water from boiling in the calorier. Replace the thermostat before any further use.

MtB

hi Mike,

I'm not sure I see how that can be right ? I would agree if the immersion heater needs resetting repeatedly when used only on electric. But if engine/backboiler heating is operating then it could be heating to beyond the safety trip temperature as the primary thermostat in that situation is either the engine stat or none if on a backboiler

wouldn't you agree ?

hi Mike,

I'm not sure I see how that can be right ? I would agree if the immersion heater needs resetting repeatedly when used only on electric. But if engine/backboiler heating is operating then it could be heating to beyond the safety trip temperature as the primary thermostat in that situation is either the engine stat or none if on a backboiler

wouldn't you agree ?

Yes I would agree. I should have read the thread properly before jumping in!

One point though. Overheat stats in immersion heaters are usually set to trip at 90 degreees C. If the engine is heating the caulifower to this temp, something is still wrong.

MtB

Thank you for your comments and clarifications.

I'm a little surprised at the temperature limit, 90 ° C.

Indeed, on canals, the temperature of my engine (Beta Marine 43 Hp) is 80-85 ° C. On rivers, it often amounts to 85-90, sometimes 95 ° C depending on the number of engine revolutions.

Moreover, I am always amazed at the design of the engine compartment of the narrowboat: no ventilation, sealing ... Something is missing: air to cool the engine compartment!

Even the air filter of the engine must be hot ! I thought about drilling for air intakes. Someone has already done?

When I'm sailing, the immersion heater is off. Is it does not cut the safety of 90 ° C ?

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem but a different immersion heater, as fitted to a surecal calorifier. Is there a reset button on this model ? Is it the black button between the element connectors ? If so it does not move so probably has not tripped. "40V is present at the thermostat connections. Any suggestions. It's only 4 months old and has only worked once. PS the temp is not set at 90 now !!

I tried to include a picture but was told "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." Why is everything so complicated ???