To Pram or not pram

slowcoach

Featured Posts

my partner is dead set against a pram hood for back, as the boat is cruiser stern i thought it would be nice so even if it is raining we can sit there , she says its too much hassle and she says looking through plastic windows owuld driver her made my son also likes them

similar to this i mean

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/sales/ste...orepictures.htm

is there anything i can say for the pros about them or something the cons i can take on board as not to get them

my partner is dead set against a pram hood for back, as the boat is cruiser stern i thought it would be nice so even if it is raining we can sit there , she says its too much hassle and she says looking through plastic windows owuld driver her made my son also likes them

similar to this i mean

http://www.bluewatermarina.co.uk/sales/ste...orepictures.htm

is there anything i can say for the pros about them or something the cons i can take on board as not to get them

Our two NB's have had pram hoods (cruiser and semi trad) and to me no boat is complete without one. It "adds a room to the boat" gives you a dry storage area for wellies. clothes and wet dogs/ kids and the like, and keeps you dry when steering. On those odd dry days it can quickly be folded down. I have had both of mine made by and highly recommend "coverit" in the North West. I have heard all the die-hards, but wouldn't be without it personally. It is good on those sunny days also and saves me from frazzling.

http://www.coverit.co.uk/

Edited by Guest

Hi,

They seem like a good idea to me, especially if you have a muddy wet mut to deal with!. Has anybody got any idea of the approx cost of these things?

Here's an email I had from "Wilsons of Kinver". I just ordered a hardwood cratch, cratch cover, stern cover and dodger (the bit round the back rail of a cruiser stern). I am still thinking about a pram cover and am undecided. They didn't even want a deposit and delivery is about 4-5 weeks.

Here is a run down of the prices

Non Divided Cratch £520.00

Divided Light Cratch board £600.00

Opening Windows on Cratch £750.00

Cratch cover £431.23 (PVC) £480.58(Acrylic) £480.58(Hard Wearing Acrylic)

Zips £ 35.25 each

Windows £ 28.20 each

2 part Stern cover £737.91(PVC) £829.55(Acrylic) £829.55(HW Acrylic)

Pram Stern cover £1243.15(PVC) £1405.30(Acrylic) £1405.30(HW Acrylic)

These prices are VAT inclusive and fitting to your boat.

They recommended that PVC is the toughest material and that it is the easiest to keep clean although it will look more plasticcy when compared to Acrylic.

If you have the pram cover, clearly you wouldn't need the stern cover as well and the pram cover price includes the dodger.

Chris

Edited by chris w

Here's an email I had from "Wilsons of Kinver". I just ordered a hardwood cratch, cratch cover, stern cover and dodger (the bit round the back rail of a cruiser stern). I am still thinking about a pram cover and am undecided. They didn't even want a deposit and delivery is about 4-5 weeks.

Here is a run down of the prices

Non Divided Cratch £520.00

Divided Light Cratch board £600.00

Opening Windows on Cratch £750.00

Cratch cover £431.23 (PVC) £480.58(Acrylic) £480.58(Hard Wearing Acrylic)

Zips £ 35.25 each

Windows £ 28.20 each

2 part Stern cover £737.91(PVC) £829.55(Acrylic) £829.55(HW Acrylic)

Pram Stern cover £1243.15(PVC) £1405.30(Acrylic) £1405.30(HW Acrylic)

These prices are VAT inclusive and fitting to your boat.

They recommended that PVC is the toughest material and that it is the easiest to keep clean although it will look more plasticcy when compared to Acrylic.

If you have the pram cover, clearly you wouldn't need the stern cover as well and the pram cover price includes the dodger.

Chris

Isn't the variation of opinion in humans fascinating? Although I can see some useful aspects of pram covers I fear that I loathe and detest them! Fortunately SWMBO is of the same mind. This variation is particulalry pleasing in the case of the canals. They would be very crowded if everyone liked them!

Hoping not to have given offence. I support everyone's right to like what he or she likes!

Nick

christ!!!!!!!! i didnt realise thats how much they would be , the people from spl are coming to meausre for the bit that goes round stern around rail and fastens on side of cabin and then the bit to go from back rail to top of cabin roof so we can leave the side bits on and take the top bit off just leave tat on when we leave the boat, if that is how much it is going to be i fear we shall not get one on, he is going to ring me on monday to say to come down to the boat then he will measure it and give me a quote i have also emailed coverit to ask how much theres is i would like a cratch but if that is how much they are going to cost then we shall forget that idea methinks!!!!!!!!1

Isn't the variation of opinion in humans fascinating? Although I can see some useful aspects of pram covers I fear that I loathe and detest them! Fortunately SWMBO is of the same mind. This variation is particulalry pleasing in the case of the canals. They would be very crowded if everyone liked them!

Hoping not to have given offence. I support everyone's right to like what he or she likes!

Nick

i would certainly take no offence from your opinion, and would tend to agree with what you say, but then we have the great British weather to contend with!

christ!!!!!!!! i didnt realise thats how much they would be , the people from spl are coming to meausre for the bit that goes round stern around rail and fastens on side of cabin and then the bit to go from back rail to top of cabin roof so we can leave the side bits on and take the top bit off just leave tat on when we leave the boat, if that is how much it is going to be i fear we shall not get one on, he is going to ring me on monday to say to come down to the boat then he will measure it and give me a quote i have also emailed coverit to ask how much theres is i would like a cratch but if that is how much they are going to cost then we shall forget that idea methinks!!!!!!!!1

They aint cheap because every one is a one off. Coverit spent a couple of days on ours making patterns, then made the final hood. I am working from (poor) memory but I think it was a total of £1400 for the pram hood and the cratch cover (I made my own board). i still feel I can justify the cost.

Edited by Guest

One practical point I remember when I had a cratch cover was that if it is made too well and fits too tightly the general paraphernalia which tends to collect (like wet boots, logs and such like) has no chance to dry off.

I think its well worth having some kind of through-flow of air to prevent mankiness.

And as for british weather, its great, specially from indoors.

They have been around on Broads boats since the year dot, and horrible they can be too! The old plasticised canvas jobbies are dreadful, smell and are hard to fold away. A cloth very similar to Gortex, it might even be Gortex, is available and very good it is to. Folds up neatly and tidily, is quiet, exceptionally durable and a shop called 'Bits & Boats' in Norwich makes them up at very good prices. I'm not overly familiar with the covers on your boats but the quoted prices seem high!

Edited by Friendly Angler

Those with pram covers need dummies to suck on, a couple of wheely bikes, diapers, become members of BIB (boaters into babies) oopsie daisy those rain drops wont hurt you will they you widdle icky ones!

Talk about traditional! Whatever next? me lost me windlass baaawl!

Enjoy your nurseries!

Those with pram covers need dummies to suck on, a couple of wheely bikes, diapers, become members of BIB (boaters into babies) oopsie daisy those rain drops wont hurt you will they you widdle icky ones!

Talk about traditional! Whatever next? me lost me windlass baaawl!

Enjoy your nurseries!

ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

i would certainly take no offence from your opinion, and would tend to agree with what you say, but then we have the great British weather to contend with!

In 28 years of regular boating I've cruised more than 75% of the connected waterways system, some bits many times. In all that time/miles there's only been three days when the rain was such that it was problematic, drying the wet clothes and all that. Perhaps I've just been lucky, perhaps I enjoy being at one with nature. But the thought of steering from inside a plastic tent abhors me. Besides, there's a lock every other mile, you have to come outside to navigate them so where's the gain?

Ah but, you say.... we live aboard and have every day on the boat. Well I tend to find that the live aboards with no deadlines stay tied up till it clears up, its us part timers that have to get on whatever the weather.....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Since I've had an interest in boats, since getting mine these last few years, one of my biggest surprises is that, decent aesthetic small, folding cabins are not the norm on NBs.

Given out weather, it amazes me anyone would pay £8,000, let along £80,000 for something you are outside in all weathers, whilst driving. If I were to be a 'proper boater' i.e. wanting to have a boat for travelling the waterways, and either living, or spending weeks on, this would be the ONE most important thing against them.

Now I know we have good, waterproof clothing these days, but when I was in my late teens, and could only afford a motorbike, I couldn't wait to get a car to get in out of the rain. I had to travel 12 miles in all weathers.

And I also agree, 'pram' hoods on NBs look awful.

Surely the manufacturers could make a small, lightweight cabin, that quickly folds down, and looks in keeping with the rest. They don't look out of place on widebeams/Dutch barges, and in fact when you do see one with the wheelhouse down, they actually look odd, sort of unfinished.

Just an observation I've noticed that's all.

If I were to be a 'proper boater' i.e. wanting to have a boat for travelling the waterways, and either living, or spending weeks on, this would be the ONE most important thing against them.....

Malc, boating up and down the Witham wouldn't be a problem, the hood would be a bonus......but the majority of the canal system has locks, and loads of them......You'd have to have your wet weather gear on anyway so what's the problem......

BTW, there is a historic precedent for a steerers shelter on a working boat. I can't remember who but recall one of the old boatmen had a makeshift shelter he would rig up over the sliding hatch, a bit like a sentury box, for when it was raining. was in no way a permanent fixture though and would have been hidden away when the rain stopped.

Thanks Neil - I hadn't actually forgotten. It was a point Allan made, when we were chatting about it last year. But even with coats etc. on, I still enjoy getting out of the rain, but mainly it's the wind and the cold. Even with the locks, which ok do warm you up, there are often half hour stretches between them. Time for me to get cold and uncomfortable, so I'd have to do the opposite and take my coat off to do locks.

Coming back down the Trent to Torksey on my last trip, it suddenly changed from a warm, sunny day, to squally rain. I grabbed my coat, but the wheelhouse mainly kept me dry, despite having the canopy down. I met a couple of NBs at this time. They grinned and waved, but didn't really look happy :D even with their waterproofs.

The thing is. If something properly made, that was good looking, small, light, and could quickly be dropped, or taken off, you could then have the choice. Whereas now the choice is to either put up with it, or make you boat look horrid. I've yet to see one that makes a NB look better.

Car manufacturers have managed to do this, as well as some plastic boat ones as well.

Got to say that I agree with the purists point of view on these things. We have numerous bling boats, gin palaces, 'orrible great things cruising the Broads. Personally I think that their owners look a tad amusing sat on a flying bridge covered in a pram hood, even when the sun is shining. Especially daft when the boats in question have a forward steering position within the cabin for foul weather cruising.

Edited by Friendly Angler

We've got a pram hood but never use it really. Jack (our 8 week old son), has an outdoor suit which is fur lined, his pushchair has a big clear plastic throwover thing but we always forget to take it with us, and you need the pram hood down to use it. I quite like the hoods on those coach built silver cross prams but they're a bit impractical on the tow path. Now does anyone have any advice on expressing pumps, hand or electric.

Many years ago when I was moored on the Bridgewater I could perhaps have been tempted to go for a hood for the steering position, there were a lot of them around even 25 years ago. With very high bridges, locks that could be considered a novelty and a lot of wet and windy wide open spaces they could be considered a practical addition to a boat. Now I am moored on the Peak Forest, any hood must be designed with a very low profile to miss the majority of the bridges.

One of the most common questions asked by visitors to my boat is "Why have you designed such that you must stand out in the rain". I have always replied that narrowboating is essentially an outdoor pursuit, they usually saw the logic in that as I always have myself. On top of that I have never seen a canopy that does not look bloody terrible.

BTW, there is a historic precedent for a steerers shelter on a working boat. I can't remember who but recall one of the old boatmen had a makeshift shelter he would rig up over the sliding hatch, a bit like a sentury box, for when it was raining. was in no way a permanent fixture though and would have been hidden away when the rain stopped.

Not exactly "old boatmen", but when Tam and Di Murrell started working the Brentford to Boxmoor Roses Lime Juice run, after BW had finally given up the contract, they were on occasions to be seen with exactly such an arrangement on both motor boat and butty. This has to have been late 1970s, because I used to watch them go past where I was working then.

I'm not exactly certain which boats they were, but think they may have taken on Stamford and Bude, which were one of the 3 pairs BW had used on the run. I could be wrong, though!....

I must say I too think they are hideous but funnily enough on a fiberglass cruiser they look fine.

IM kind of half and half about the folding wooden or steel made deck houses on cruiser stern narrowboats.

The little deck house means you can sit outside but sheltered on cold but sunny days but the whole tent thing is a no no for me.

I thought you sold your boat John?

Many years ago when I was moored on the Bridgewater I could perhaps have been tempted to go for a hood for the steering position, there were a lot of them around even 25 years ago. With very high bridges, locks that could be considered a novelty and a lot of wet and windy wide open spaces they could be considered a practical addition to a boat. Now I am moored on the Peak Forest, any hood must be designed with a very low profile to miss the majority of the bridges.

One of the most common questions asked by visitors to my boat is "Why have you designed such that you must stand out in the rain". I have always replied that narrowboating is essentially an outdoor pursuit, they usually saw the logic in that as I always have myself. On top of that I have never seen a canopy that does not look bloody terrible.

John,

As I keep saying........

NOTHING about modern boats is traditional....

Modern boats cost alot of money...................

Living in this country still allows you free choice on what you spend your money (only just mind!)

I have one (and love it) -you dislike them ( hey lets call it democracy!)

Personally I have an optional opening vent allowing warm engineroom air to heat my "shed" - Yes I am soft

- But I am warm dry and soft!!!!!!!!! :D

John,

As I keep saying........

NOTHING about modern boats is traditional....

Modern boats cost alot of money...................

Living in this country still allows you free choice on what you spend your money (only just mind!)

I have one (and love it) -you dislike them ( hey lets call it democracy!)

Personally I have an optional opening vent allowing warm engineroom air to heat my "shed" - Yes I am soft

- But I am warm dry and soft!!!!!!!!! :D

We can do better than that can't we, form and function are never mutually exclusive, I suppose you could go to extremes and build a breeze-block house with a corrugated iron roof but society would not allow you to do that anyway.

In fact things that are designed for maximum efficiency and accomplish that will always look right anyway, the Cutty Sark and the Concorde look good because they are designed to function as ultimate machines good form and function are inseparable.

A hut built from old pallets on the back of your boat would probably not work very well anyway.

Some interesting comments. I would add that I have experienced both my narrowboats without hoods, and have consequently had hoods made for both of them. I prefer the hood option. I consider them "temporary" and fold them down whenever possible. If ever I go for the hat trick and build that third boat, it will definitely have a hood, no doubt about it. Then again number 3 probably wouldn't be a canal boat anyway.

Edited by Guest