Moorings in Wales

Henery Go Furry

Featured Posts

Apart from canals like the Neath and Tennant (no private boats, just a trip boat) and the Swansea canal (not navigable- also, I may have confused which canal was which) the only live canal there is the Mon and Brec, which is not connected to the network; I do not think you can get any type of mooring on any of these other than possibly on the Mon and Brec, and I am not sure even then if any of them are liveaboard.

Edited by Starcoaster

What Starry says is correct.

There are a few very small marinas on the Mon & Brecon Canal and most seem to be connected to the hire boat companies.

I do wonder whether you are actually asking about coastal marinas. If so this might not be the best place to ask.

Edited by Graham Davis

I'm thinking of living on my boat somewhere in South Wales. Does anyone know any good, cheap places to moor. I want to be in a marina, but otherwise happy to consider anywhere nontidal.

. I bought my boat on the mon / brec were it had spent the first 14 years of its life most of it according to the guy who does the bss as a live aboard there are a few farmers up there that have small moorings or one or two marinas that may turn a blind eye my boat was at goytre wharf when I bought it in 2010 and it was around 1300 pound a year that included secure parking and laundry and shower block plus there was hook up for electric via a card

. I bought my boat on the mon / brec were it had spent the first 14 years of its life most of it according to the guy who does the bss as a live aboard there are a few farmers up there that have small moorings or one or two marinas that may turn a blind eye my boat was at goytre wharf when I bought it in 2010 and it was around 1300 pound a year that included secure parking and laundry and shower block plus there was hook up for electric via a card

The OP's looking for a mooring in South Wales.

As there aren't any working canals in S Wales - we have to assume that our Henery is seeking a coastal marina, or somewhere non-tidal. (which I could only presume to be on a non-tidal section of river?)

(The

The OP's looking for a mooring in South Wales.

As there aren't any working canals in S Wales - we have to assume that our Henery is seeking a coastal marina, or somewhere non-tidal. (which I could only presume to be on a non-tidal section of river?)

(The

. Or the Monmouth and Brecon which is 30 miles of navigable canal in South Wales with marina,s and people living on boats roughly 30 miles from the Severn bridge and the motorways

. Or the Monmouth and Brecon which is 30 miles of navigable canal in South Wales with marina,s and people living on boats roughly 30 miles from the Severn bridge and the motorways

Agreed it exists but there are very few liveaboards, if any, on the Mon and Brec

Like many waterways that are either isolated or comparatively short and under a separate authority, it operates rather differently to the main system, even though this particular canal is CRT run. In this case it's also in a national park which means the planning authority is not to be trifled with.

Thanks all. I guess I was hoping for a lovely mooring on the Mon&Brec with scenic views. Probably not likely!! Or a quirky river mooring somewhere nice. I don't mind a bit of tide, but I don't want to be on the mud half the day. Sounds like Sout Wales is not a liveaboard paradise. Mind you, where is these days?

Oops! I meant to say DON'T want to be in a marina in my op.

Agreed it exists but there are very few liveaboards, if any, on the Mon and Brec

Like many waterways that are either isolated or comparatively short and under a separate authority, it operates rather differently to the main system, even though this particular canal is CRT run. In this case it's also in a national park which means the planning authority is not to be trifled with.

Thanks all. I guess I was hoping for a lovely mooring on the Mon&Brec with scenic views. Probably not likely!! Or a quirky river mooring somewhere nice. I don't mind a bit of tide, but I don't want to be on the mud half the day. Sounds like Sout Wales is not a liveaboard paradise. Mind you, where is these days?

Oops! I meant to say DON'T want to be in a marina in my op.

. I have said before that the Monmouth and Brecon is your only real option there ARE live aboard boaters all up through there it is relatively cheap off the radar my own boat WAS lived on on the Monmouth and Brecon for 12 years so if you want a quiet relatively inexpensive mooring in South Wales it is your only real choice

Yeah, I could wade through a load of crap, out of date web sites, or we could have a friendly chat.

If this is one of those forums where people are rude to eachother, I'll ask elsewhere.

You may possibly find that if you aren't prepared to do some of the work for yourself, folks may well lose interest in doing it for you.

Besides, "wading through a load of crap and some out of date web sites" may well turn up positive results that members may not be aware of themselves.

Yeah, I could wade through a load of crap, out of date web sites, or we could have a friendly chat.

If this is one of those forums where people are rude to eachother, I'll ask elsewhere.

Dude, bite me!!!

Rude enough for ya now????

Ps., if you find that "elsewhere," fill us in, because there is literally no viable equivalent to CWDF.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

Well I'm gonna say thanks cos i have been considering Wales for my narrowboat as have just brought house on hill here and this thread has pointed me in right direction to search--I was struggling before--and TBH I have had a few stories spun by welshman that are not quite true--very inventive regarding availability of moorings, lovely chap.

Have now decided to wait until had enough of English canals, if ever and then see what situation is.

I hadn't spotted this when I last posted

Assuming Crafty Carper has taken his boat to Bristol then allow for this information being four years old, but it is a fair summary

Moorings will be available from small private operators who may not be on the internet so you'll have to search them out, probably by asking around.

Liveaboard will be possible, but it won't be official residential and you are in a national park, where planning restrictions on bricks and mortar are quite strict so expect the same on unofficial liveaboard

The canal is landlocked, you may be better off buying a boat on it rather than trying to bring one in.

In short, it's possible but there are significant obstacles, and the availability will be limited.