Boat won't engage forward or reverse?

Troybee

Featured Posts

I'm not wholly convinced about that. If it is true, why do so many peeps on here say canoes cause so much disturbance to NBs when they pass? They only move about 0.2 of a tonne of water as they go along.

MtB

No wonder the canoes have started using the locks - 200kg is a hell of a weight for a canoe.

But as you say, the speed is not relevant. It is the speed relative to the width and depth of the waterway, the boat shape and draft etc. It is not the ripples you see on the surface that is the issue, rather the 15 to 20 tonnes of water that has to move aside to let the boat past.

I find what I more relevant is how well people moor their boats rather than all that technical stuff.

Kayaks though, don't get me started.....

Well plenty of blokes weigh 100kg and the camping canoeist I met the other day said his boat plus all his camping gear, food, clothes etc also weighed 100kg. So that's 200kg innit!

I think it was David Schweizer who last mentioned how excessively canoes disturb his boat. I'll have a search for his post.

MtB

P.S. He mentioned his canoe weight because I asked him why he didn't port it around locks!

Well plenty of blokes weigh 100kg and the camping canoeist I met the other day said his boat plus all his camping gear, food, clothes etc also weighed 100kg. So that's 200kg innit!

I think it was David Schweizer who last mentioned how excessively canoes disturb his boat. I'll have a search for his post.

MtB

P.S. He mentioned his canoe weight because I asked him why he didn't port it around locks!

On a narrowboat/narrow boat (please delete as appropriate) I refer to them as 'portable ballast' and ask them to move to the front of the boat if grounded at the stern. Definitely more effective than everyone going to the stern to see how they can help.

I have found that canoes can cause enough turbulence to move our boat around a bit, especially if there are a few moving at the time.

Not that I'm bothered of course; I quite like the boat to move around a bit.

You have now been initiated into a large subset of narrow boaters who never move that we call "the slow down shouters". Next time someone goes past and even looks like they're making a ripple in the water you can feel righteous indignation as you poke your head out of the side hatch and give them a thorough bollocking!

In the meantime moor that boat up properly!

I have seen them Anxiously watching from windows and peering from portholes, all ready to issue verbal abuse, particularly if you are unfortunate enough to be on a hire boat.

Make them really frustrated by slowing down to tickover, so they have to contain their wrath. Give them a friendly smile and wave to them.

The last time I had verbal abuse for going to fast was on the South Oxford. That was soon followed by more abuse (from a different person on the same boat) for leaving lock gates open. I smiled and pointed out the boat coming in the other direction.

I have seen them Anxiously watching from windows and peering from portholes, all ready to issue verbal abuse, particularly if you are unfortunate enough to be on a hire boat.

Make them really frustrated by slowing down to tickover, so they have to contain their wrath. Give them a friendly smile and wave to them.

The last time I had verbal abuse for going to fast was on the South Oxford. That was soon followed by more abuse (from a different person on the same boat) for leaving lock gates open. I smiled and pointed out the boat coming in the other direction.

Love it. There seems to be more and more of these arsey people on the cut these days.

I like the ones that moor on the centre line only, then stand with hands on hips shouting at any boat that dares to pass them, and God help them if they need to come close. I have a secret weapon for dealing with them, my wife sends them packing in a very effective way. To quote Fawlty, she can kill a man at ten paces with one lash of her tongue. I love the indignant slam of the side hatches as they retreat :)

Read it carefully. He says they disturb the water, not his boat. Certainly they disturb the surface of the water - a lot more than a narrowboat at modest speed does. But there is not the same degree of underwater movement and hence much less disturbance of a moored boat.

Love it. There seems to be more and more of these arsey people on the cut these days.

I like the ones that moor on the centre line only, then stand with hands on hips shouting at any boat that dares to pass them, and God help them if they need to come close. I have a secret weapon for dealing with them, my wife sends them packing in a very effective way. To quote Fawlty, she can kill a man at ten paces with one lash of her tongue. I love the indignant slam of the side hatches as they retreat smile.png

I think it depends where you are. I am absolutely convinced that hire boaters and anyone who looks like a novice comes in for more criticism and thought this in the days when most of my boating was done on private boats.

If you want to confuse these people, pass in neutral but open the throttle a bit.

• Greenie 1

I think it depends where you are. I am absolutely convinced that hire boaters and anyone who looks like a novice comes in for more criticism and thought this in the days when most of my boating was done on private boats.

If you want to confuse these people, pass in neutral but open the throttle a bit.

Can't wait to try that one ;)

I agree with the helpful suggestions about using extra pins to make mooring more secure. I also think you shouldn't try anything mechanical before calling the owner first and asking them what they want you to do. Diagnosis by forum is impossible and risky. Assuming you are boat sitting on a mooring and not driving it anywhere, securing the mooring is the only important issue.