South Oxford Advice

john6767

Featured Posts

We are planning on spending some time on the Thames in August, leaving Napton on 8 or 9 August, and I have just realised that it is the Cropredy festival that weekend, and the timing would mean we go through there probably on the Sunday, when the festival has just finished. This sounds like a very bad idea to me, as presumably there will be a lot of boats moving then and we are gong to be in big queues all the way to Oxford. Am I worrying unnecessarily or is this likely to be an issue?

My thought to avoid this was to try and get the boat south of Cropredy before the festival weekend so we would be ahead of people leaving the festival going south. What I can't picture is any marinas on the South Oxford south of Cropredy where I could leave the boat for a couple of weeks. I guess I could leave it on the towpath, but as I don't know the area well not sure about that. Any suggestions?

We left our boat on the tow path at Nells Bridge (just north near the pig farm) for a fortnight. This was some years ago, but all was safe. Easy car access as well.

We moor North of Cropredy and went on our annuals on the Sunday following the festival last year. Although we could see the remnants of the festival we didn't really suffer long queues. I guess once your through the first lock, where there will be a queue, the boats are then spaced out. I believe the majority of boats go north from Cropredy.

Another thought is Twyford Wharf which now hires out a boat or two. If their boats are out they may fit you in. I know nothing about the operation there nor the people, just a thought that came to mind.

Martyn

It can indeed be chaotic on the Sunday - though last year, for whatever reason, it was not.

Sovereign Wharf, a small and well run marina in Banbury, take boats in for short stays if they have room. How long is your boat?

Phone them on 01295 275657. Note that they are in the office Monday to Thursday only.

Edited by Athy

We left our boat on the tow path at Nells Bridge (just north near the pig farm) for a fortnight. This was some years ago, but all was safe. Easy car access as well.

We moor North of Cropredy and went on our annuals on the Sunday following the festival last year. Although we could see the remnants of the festival we didn't really suffer long queues. I guess once your through the first lock, where there will be a queue, the boats are then spaced out. I believe the majority of boats go north from Cropredy.

Another thought is Twyford Wharf which now hires out a boat or two. If their boats are out they may fit you in. I know nothing about the operation there nor the people, just a thought that came to mind.

Martyn

The Pig Place (aka the pig farm, above) have a bit of mooring space (usually empty when we go past) and might be persuaded to hire you a space. It has the advantage of 'leccy supply and lot of lovely grub.

Might be of interest if Sovereign is full or anyway.

I could jump in here and mention we stopped by chance at 'The Pig Place' (as the owners called it) about 2.5 weeks ago. There was a nice wooden landing and electrickery which is what we were after, points right on the landing. They have a very good selection of local sauces and foods in their little shop, we would suggest as many boats as possible stop to check them out. Negative point being their "seasoned logs" which were grey and look like they have been out in all weather for a couple of years - in Finland we put logs (which have been axed first) under tarpaulins/covers and they retain their original colours. Grey logs mean they've had the be-Jesus leached out of them and are no good even for burning any more! I was surprised to see narrowboats with logs just chucked up on the roof, and all grey - what's this all about, eh? Cover them up!

I've just spoken to Mrs. Treadwell at Sovereign. They MAY have a short-term space - but John, phone them in the next couple of days because they're on holiday next week.

Thanks for that, I will give them a call tomorrow when I have worked out the dates we would want.

I could jump in here and mention we stopped by chance at 'The Pig Place' (as the owners called it) about 2.5 weeks ago. There was a nice wooden landing and electrickery which is what we were after, points right on the landing. They have a very good selection of local sauces and foods in their little shop, we would suggest as many boats as possible stop to check them out. Negative point being their "seasoned logs" which were grey and look like they have been out in all weather for a couple of years - in Finland we put logs (which have been axed first) under tarpaulins/covers and they retain their original colours. Grey logs mean they've had the be-Jesus leached out of them and are no good even for burning any more! I was surprised to see narrowboats with logs just chucked up on the roof, and all grey - what's this all about, eh? Cover them up!

Puzzling. Why does the colour matter? Surely they go grey only on the surface and after only a week of three in the sun?

The faxct that you see a lot of NBs with grey logs on the roof suggests the owners don't find any advantage on covering them up.

Maybe it depends on the type of wood...

MtB

I was delivering a boat from Great Haywood to the K&A and came through Cropredy and Banbury on the Festival weekend last year,only hold-up was Banbury lift bridge and lock(10 boats in the pound at one point) - closely followed by a boat stuck in Somerton Deep Lock, who apparently gets stuck every year, and had to go back up and out - letting us all past, until the experts came to get him through.