Another day another problem.(leak related)

Orakal

Featured Posts

Ok so we have a through bilge and the majority of the floor has been scrapped dried and painted for preservation.All except the last 8 foot has been done and now the engines fixed we decided to carry on with it.The floor was fine but where the bottom starts to narrow at the back i think its called the swim there was a lot of rust so i started to scrape it off and then the dreaded site of water happened.About 2 inches below the waterline i have a hole, well more of a slit leaking in water.

For the time being i have filled a rubber glove with metal filler pushed it into the hole and hardened it off but it still drips a little and is in no way a permanent repair.

Its got to come out the water and be surveyed before next March when the insurance is up so i know its got to have welding done but at £600 for a crane out at our marina against £250 for a week in a dry dock im going to try a temp repair using a product called waterweld which is suppose to cure underwater and plug any hole!!!.

So im kinda looking for a few things..

Boats moored near Penkridge at Otherton marina, does anyone know of a drydock besides stafford sailing club nearby or reasonably priced crane in and out with time to work on boat.

Has anyone used an underwater curing hole sealing product and if so was it any good and what is it

Assuming i get the boat craned out at our marina is anyone here a welder who is prepared to travel to st19 to do the repair or, do you know a good reasonably priced welder who can do the job.

Im guessing ill need the whole swim part done maybe both sides, she had alot of overplating done for the last survey so im expecting it but i may as well have her surveyed at the same time, so it might be whatever needs doing.

All of this is dependant on it being economically viable but we dont want to lose the boat, beginning to think the boat gods dont like me.

If you have managed to make a hole with a scraper, what will happen when you bump the boat against the side of the canal?

Time to invest the money you saved on the engine repair in some welding before you lose the lot

Richard

I'd recommend Steve Grainger at Ashwood Marina down at Stourton on the Staffs and Worcs.

Very experienced and competent welder with a yard and craning facilities. Books a crane once a month to lift in and out half a dozen boats together so crane costs are minimised. PM me if you'd like his contact deets.

MtB

If you have managed to make a hole with a scraper, what will happen when you bump the boat against the side of the canal?

Time to invest the money you saved on the engine repair in some welding before you lose the lot

Richard

Yes i know, im resigned to this......wish i could weld.

I'd recommend Steve Grainger at Ashwood Marina down at Stourton on the Staffs and Worcs.

Very experienced and competent welder with a yard and craning facilities. Books a crane once a month to lift in and out half a dozen boats together so crane costs are minimised. PM me if you'd like his contact deets.

MtB

Id be interested if i could get her there, having seen how easy this has happened im a little wary of going anywhere until ive seen her out the water, but its an option still thanks.

Dont know any real details but Hatherton has a "dry dock arrangement" involving iirc the third lock of the flight,

and I seem to remember seeing a crane at teddesley.

springy

Cant really travel far in it due to the very temp fix sadly, having it craned out where i am on Monday but i need a welder and a hull surveyor if anyone can recommend one?

perhaps in the absence of a surveyor , get a big hammer, and whack the hull HARD at various spots. If it doesn't make a hole, that gives you some idea:)

Its a plan but i think the insurers might want a little more reassurance than some hammer wielding maniac belting the boat to consider it insurable again.

I do intend to do some testing though along those lines.

Its a plan but i think the insurers might want a little more reassurance than some hammer wielding maniac belting the boat to consider it insurable again.

I do intend to do some testing though along those lines.

Do it methodically. Draw chalk lines about 3'' apart all over the area and tap along them rubbing out as you go. You won't miss any bits then.

Do it methodically. Draw chalk lines about 3'' apart all over the area and tap along them rubbing out as you go. You won't miss any bits then.

Cheers ill be doing that

That stuffs awesome, ill be adding that to the boat once shes in the water again, thanks

• 3 weeks later...