Anglo Welsh gone mad??!

Dan

Featured Posts

I hired a Dutchess boat from Black Prince Chirk in October and it was Brilliant

clean,tidy, very spacious and in general the staff were very helpful

would reccomend them anytime

Passed a lot of Alvechurch boats and between them and BP they were the best fleets on the cut

Mick

That is properly wierd!

- I mean, fairplay, it is hard to keep every single bit of a website like that totatly right,

- And they may have only recently change there policy (possably after a problem with a prevous customer) and temperaley forget about website

- HOWEVER, the (missleading) content of the website i compleatly there fault, and the should have been aplogising, not refuse to talk to you and cuting all ties with no further explanation. Purely childish nonsence.

I will also take this opatunity to put a work in for chas, although ive never hired a boat of his (or any other), hes obvously very much local, and a good freind, whos always helpfull and kind.

- Many times he's got us out a fix by having the right fitting for a job, lending the use of his gear, or just giving us a hand with a three-man job.

- And every few months we pop in and give him another £50 for a new gas bottle for the house and see how he's geting on with his current project.

Daniel

It's not exactly the best of behaviour from Anglowelsh, but from personal opinion I cannot fault them. The only time I've had a problem with them in 4 years of boating, they've been there within two hours to rectify the problem and have been perfectly amenable in all other aspects.

I wish you the best in all of this, but for the price and available routes, I cannot fault Anglowelsh!

It's not exactly the best of behaviour from Anglowelsh, but from personal opinion I cannot fault them. The only time I've had a problem with them in 4 years of boating, they've been there within two hours to rectify the problem and have been perfectly amenable in all other aspects.

I wish you the best in all of this, but for the price and available routes, I cannot fault Anglowelsh!

Hi Hick

As I stated, until this I also held them in high regard and was of the same opinion as you state

Sadly my view has been spectacularly shattered now, but as I guess they cannot afford to behave this way with too many customers hopefully your view will stay in tact, and I hope it does.

Dan

It is just possible that by forcing the issue you compromised them - not EVERY customer is important - and a good busness focusses on the ones that provide the best return.

I still dont understand why, if you have your own set, you went to so much bother - possibly putting yourself in unwanted customer category.

It is just possible that by forcing the issue you compromised them - not EVERY customer is important - and a good busness focusses on the ones that provide the best return.

I still dont understand why, if you have your own set, you went to so much bother - possibly putting yourself in unwanted customer category.

Hi WJM

I've tried to explain the reasons and thought processes as well as I can, to clarify/simplify it was

*I expected they'd have one to hire (always did, and every other fleet has, the boat grading said they would) this was EASIER than taking my own set 200 miles with me in the car, plus I thought there's would be better than my old tatty thing!

*After enquiring to hire a set and that I wouldn't hire the boat without it seemed reasonable to explain to the agent why I was suddenly happy to confirm - as I had remembered I had a compatable set after checking the AW site. I was not aware that Blakes would necessarily convey this, though this shouldn't have mattered according to the AW website, so there's no reason why myself or Blakes should have thought telling them would be a problem anyway, other than with the knowledge we learned after telling them!

Clearly the MD at Anglo Welsh is on your wavelength on the issue as yourself, so your view is useful.

Sadly though, all things considered I think the behaviour disgraceful.

They were in the wrong, which they have clearly accepted given that their website has changed, the fact they didn't see fit to be courteous or apolagetic for their mistakes is inexcusable.

Please also bear in mind that I worked for Anglo Welsh for four years and have hired from four times over the years, which only adds to my disbelief that things have changed so much in the ten years since I left.

They obviously decided I was a problem customer and a pain in the proverbial. It's the rationale, or lack of it in making this decision that is so unacceptable!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your replies and sharing different outlooks

Dan

P.S I didn't leave under a cloud, and as my address and AW staff has changed so much since leaving & my last bookings no doubt they have not made any connections, not that this should matter, though probably did see me as a 'new' customer.

Edited by Dan

not EVERY customer is important

A business should NEVER make a (potential) customer feel unimportant, even if they are 'unwanted'.

Every person I speak to with regards to my business is important to me... I want to build a brand that is trusted, respected and associated with a quality holiday experience. I am sure the aforementioned company's goals are similar, if not the same.

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as an 'unwanted customer' - if there is anyone that inquires and finds the holiday is not exactly what they are looking for, they should still leave with the impression that we are professional and care about what we do. If we are lucky, they may then be inclined to recommend us people they know that would enjoy such a holiday.

Throwing their toys out of the pram was not the right reaction... and as we all know, they should be holding their hands up and saying sorry.

Edited by Neil@CanalVoyagers

Surely, if the facts are as reported, they made a mistake and should have made an apology. Anything else is bad practice and a sign of someone you don't want to do business with? Whether you or I would want the TV or not is surely irrelevant ? Anyway whilst there are other customers there are also other boat hire companies and the bad feeling from a case like this will hit the boatyard much more if it gets in the "unwanted supplier" category than the customer who gets in one companies "unwanted customer" category.

Cheers,

Ben.

I certainly could not treat every customer the same - 80% of my business comes from 20% of my customers - so I know exactly how high when one of them says jump! The important few and the trivial many! I regularly do a cull to weed out customers I dont want.

A chap called Michael O'Leary regularly gets dragged onto BBC Watchdog to be confronted by 5 or 10 disgruntled customers. He says it is unfortunate but his other 20 million customers are happy. I think his company is the most successful in it's field in Europe if not the world.

Edited by WJM

I see the point, I understand it and see the logic ....

but why would asking to hire a TV, and then that you were taking on your own when advertised as allowed make you a category of customer they wouldn't want?

Hardly a bad customer I wouldn't have thought?!!

Dan

Its just business - he chooses to operate in the price sensitive sector where memories are short and price is important. He can only achieve his price point by a full frontal attack on costs - and that may involve casualties.

Like I say, his 19,999,990 other customers are happy!

Dan - I dont know - but perhaps unknown to you, you were up against a customer who didnt care about a TV, so they made a commercial decision.

I certainly could not treat every customer the same - 80% of my business comes from 20% of my customers - so I know exactly how high when one of them says jump! The important few and the trivial many! I regularly do a cull to weed out customers I dont want.

:D

My dad used to have his own business with two partners, coachbuilding, he was the bodybuilder and the other two were the painter and salesman. Their main business came from fitting out new wagons for a multinational haulier. Take a bare bones tractor unit and fit fifth wheel and all the trimmings and spray in corporate colours. The company had always used mercs until one day volvo approached them. They said no to volvo as they liked their mercs, until volvo said they'd supply them in corporate colours and fit them out for free. The company couldn't refuse that deal so overnight my dad's firm couldn't tender less than zero so they lost 90% of its business and, because they thought they'd got loads of work, the sales chappy had been playing around in the workshop rather than looking after the 'trivial many'. Fortunately the other two patners bought my dad out and they survived with only two partners to pay, but none of my family will forget the day my dad came home and told us they'd lost their main customer and had no small fry to fall back on.

Let the trivial many buy your food, let the important few buy your boat. Then re-evaluate.

Its just business - he chooses to operate in the price sensitive sector where memories are short and price is important. He can only achieve his price point by a full frontal attack on costs - and that may involve casualties.

Like I say, his 19,999,990 other customers are happy!

Thanks,

I guess you are right - until this I was one of them!!

I've recomended them to many people, thelast only a few days ago!!

Needless to say that won't be happening now, and we won't try and return.

As it is now a few days later, and we have a new holiday booked elsewhere that we are looking forward to we see the funny side of the rather stupid scenario (in my opinion!).

I still say its bad business, but we've sat down and had a bit of a laugh about the guys silly behaviour. I think in future I'll stick to only hiring from operators where a TV is standard! Just to be safe! :D

Dan

I think this chap at AW has made an absolute banjax of accepted customer relations, he sounds like a complete mud-weight and should issue a groveling apology and or retire early as he is clearly not suited to maximising his companies revenue (as is his duty)

Well spotted Carl - why do you think I still have the trivial 80%!

Sounds like they let the sales guy fall asleep on the job though - as a rule I never allow one customer to represent more than 40% of the tunover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"clearly not suited to maximising his companies revenue (as is his duty)"

I think the Michael O'Leary example contradicts you.

Well spotted Carl - why do you think I still have the trivial 80%!

Sounds like they let the sales guy fall asleep on the job though - as a rule I never allow one customer to represent more than 40% of the tunover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"clearly not suited to maximising his companies revenue (as is his duty)"

I think the Michael O'Leary example contradicts you.

Oh no, what have I got wrong now? Be gentle with me please, it's been a long week.

It's a good example, but its a rare example, hence it's not generally accepted as good business practice to just drop customers the first time they request an extra service, or query a contradiction that you own organisation has created!

I think it depends pn your industry.

I'm in business myself. We do not have the choice to treat any customer in this way unless really necessary as our market, like most is hugely competitive.

If their were more customers than boats then I guess the MD can pick and choose and behave as he wishes, and on that basis if this kinda stuff boosts his ego, and the profit sheets are through roof then fair play.

I can't remember the day I passed an Anglo Welsh hirebase in April, outside of Easter though when all the boats were out, especially midweek! Still... if that is the scenario these days then to be fair to the guy whilst it's still awful behaviour in a business sense there's nothing wrong with it.

I think he took the decision a bit too quickly, and was a bit trigger happy. He'd have been better using his gusto to better effect, and emailing or calling me, and only taking this approach as a final resort. If he had do this I know he would not have had to, and his company would have benefitted better in the longer term, and if looking to a bigger picture!

Still.... his approach to business has made me smile.. I wish him all the best.... what a guy! :D

Dan

• 10 months later...
We've been on a few hire boats, and the one that stands out for service and quality is Shire Cruisers of Sowerby Bridge. We're going with them for a second time in May.

Janet

I can only endorse that.

Our first boating holiday was with Shire, the service we got was fantastic from training right down to when we had engine problems.

Their engineer was out to us and had the problem sorted within 45 minutes of us calling them.

And yes we are going back with Shire next October.

Already have the boat Warwick booked.

This is really shocking, I have had nothing but good experiences from AW, including a major engine failure. They were canalside 45 minutes later, tried to sort it, realised that a new engine was needed, turned up the following morning with new engine, truck and hoist. A short time later we were on our way.

They were tolerant when I took a load of kids on one of their new boats.

I really am shocked.

I agree, Vikki and I have had a couple of holidays with AW, and both times was from Tardebigge. staff were very nice and also with the ones in Wooton.

The office staff in Bristol seememed very nice as well, on our first holiday with them we forgot the date we had to pay the balance by and missed it by five weeks, they were fine as long as it got paid. Now we only pay £100 deposit instead of the full quarter of the price because we have got to know them.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, Vikki and I have had a couple of holidays with AW, and both times was from Tardebigge. staff were very nice and also with the ones in Wooton.

The office staff in Bristol seememed very nice as well, on our first holiday with them we forgot the date we had to pay the balance by and missed it by five weeks, they were fine as long as it got paid. Now we only pay £100 deposit instead of the full quarter of the price because we have got to know them.

Paul

We've been hiring large (8+ berth) boats from many different companies for over 15 years, and to date, we've never had any problem with any of them and AW is probably the one we've used the most. Yes, we've had breakdowns - notably in Middlewich - now known to us as "The Middlewich Triangle" - virtually every boat we've ever taken through Middlewich from any yard or any direction has broken down or required attention there, but they've always arrived promptly and fixed it. Our only gripe is often the very opposite to that of the original poster. We always want the TV taking OFF the boat - That way, it's less likley to be stolen or get broken, it gives us more space, and as we're not likley to be on the boat in the evening anyway [- and busy during the day for obvious reasons -] we don't need one. Although some yards have insisted that we have to take it, at least AW will always take it off for us.

Sounds to me like the bloke is a total arse.

Have hired several times from Anglo Welsh and always found them to be very well organised. I particularly like the multiple bases that mean you can get a pump out quite easily and free on longer cruises and the staff at the marinas have always been friendly.

Just goes to show how 1 arse can really screw a company's reputation though.