Anglo Welsh gone mad??!

Dan

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I don't post on the forum much, but often read through topics of interest.

I've just had an experience with Anglo Welsh that has left me totally stunned, and quite offended.

A few days ago we chose a boat from their Eynsham (Oxford) base for the two of us. We decided to book through Blakes, as their 20% off midweek breaks at this point made the price just that bit better. In their brochure it stated TV's were available on most boats but to enquire on booking.

As this was a crucial requirement by my other half incase of bad weather or long evenings I enquired as suggested. The girl was very helpful and said she would check with Anglo Welsh but was sure so far ahead this would not be an issue.

The next day I rang up to confirm and was advised Anglo Welsh had advised this was not an option on "Heron" and to look towards "Silver Swift" or "Golden Sunrise". We may have considered this cost increase, but sadly as these were weekly hire craft not short breaks these were not really suitable suggestions. The next 2/4 berth were a TV as standard was a Weir class, £130 approx more. For this reasons I asked Blakes to re clarify with Anglo Welsh as no provision for hiring a TV seemed odd, in todays world, they were once again very helpful and said they would but to be prepared that this answer may well be the same.

With this in mind we discussed the options at home, and visited the Anglo Welsh website for clarification. On searching for availability there, once clicking on the photo symbol for more information specific to the Bird class see page here it stated "Please note that these boats are not equipped with a television so if you wish to bring your own, then please ensure that its screen is no more than 14" and that it is compatible to a 12 volt power supply". As I have my own 12v TV from my years as a boat owner I was pleased to see I could take my own, as it met THEIR stated criteria.

So when Blakes confirmed that no TV was available I was still suprised, but happy to confirm my booking knowing I could take my own.

I was amazed when half an hour later Blakes rang me to say that Anglo Welsh were adamant that I could not take my own TV as the boats electrics were not up to it, and despite Blakes' best effort their Managing Director would not allow it.

When I got home I re-checked the Anglo Welsh site to check I had not misinterpreted the wording, which I had not.

I emailed Anglo Welsh direct to seek clarification, over my confusion why their own website said I could take my TV, and on that class of boat, but I was being forbidden now, leaving me with a problem, and asked them to call or email me to try and resolve/clarify the problem.

I was pretty stunned and amazed when Blakes rang me this morning to say that Anglo Welsh's Managing Director, Robert Lawrence had rang them to instruct that they did not wish to correspond with me and that he had instructed them to remove my booking as they did not want my business.

I cannot fault Blakes' handling and professionalism over this issue, but am totally disgusted by Anglo Welsh's behaviour.

I wondered if anyone else had any bad experiences, as I have used them before, and worked for them many years ago, and always, until now held them in high regard.

I book 4 boating trips a year, and have never had cause to complain about any of them. I am left feeling like a nightmare customer for no good or explained reason and feel very unhappy with my experience :)

Dan

Try someone like chas Harwarden for a more amenable person to do business with.

Seems like A-W have just got a bit too big for their own good. I would try and tell as many people as possible about their appallingly arrogant manner (though there may be little point writing to the mags as they won't hear a word said against their advertisers).

I was pretty stunned and amazed when Blakes rang me this morning to say that Anglo Welsh's Managing Director, Robert Lawrence had rang them to instruct that they did not wish to correspond with me and that he had instructed them to remove my booking as they did not want my business.

Quite simply any company that behaves like that does not deserve to stay in business.

They won't last long in the present climate with that attitude.

Potential hirers take note - you may find that the company goes bust before you can enjoy your holiday!

Try someone like chas Harwarden for a more amenable person to do business with.

I presume you mean chas harden at beeston on the shroppie? If so I'd like to endorse your opinion. I have never hired from him nor given him any money for any service. The first and only time I met him was when I picked up Usk from the other side of the bridgehole to his yard. If it hadn't been for him and the wonderful people mooring at his yard I'd never have got Usk out of the mud she was sat on and under way. He then told me to moor up at his yard and helped me fix the guard irons hanging off the bows and fixed my highly dodgy gear shift bodge (which broke the first time I tried to reverse). He never asked for a penny for his help and, when we'd finished, it was too late to set off so he showed me the shower and gave me a place to put up my tent for the night. A true gent and deserves all the business anyone can give him.

Apart from not wanting to be seen dead in an Anglo Welsh boat with the weird paint scheme, we are currently trawling though the websites for a spring NB holiday.

I'll definately give AW a miss now.

I've a few friends who have been asking who I would recommend, I'll be adding AW to the 'dodgy' list :)

Chas Harden has certainly had lots of commendations - I'll be making further enquiries.

I think Anglo Welsh are under the same umbrella as Alvechurch Boat Hire. We are going again with Alvechurch in Septmember fopr our big family trip - we have had a few niggles over heaters and unpumped loos with Alvechurch but we have found them to be nice people to deal with.

Edited by Christine

Chas Hardern are great - our only 2 hire experiences have been with them. The boats are bit older than the likes of AW/Black-P but the tuition is great and their position is ideal.

Also, being on the L&L and meeting many hirers, I have heard very good things said about Pennine Cruisers and Snaygill.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies so far.

I really am still stunned by the response, considering the unjustification for it, I have considered if there are any avenues for complaint, akthough after the approach taken a letter to Anglo Welsh is clearly a waste of time, after Mr Lawrences decision was based on a refusal to communicate to me.

My main annoyance is their own website said it was OK, so feel really badly treated bearing in mind I was only confirming I would be doing what was OK.

For the reason abovce are they not in breach of trading standards?

I guess I wont pursue it further, but then I wonder if I should as the fact thry are encouraging something they later do not allow is to be really not on, and no doubt it will affect, or dissappoint a lot of people.

Why are Tv's not standard anyway, all their competitors are.

You should be fine with Alvechurch though, its Viking Afloat they own, so there's no connection to Anglo Welsh

Dan

If you already have a 12v TV why put yourself through so much bother - just say nothing, turn up with your telly, if needs be then sneak it on, plug it in and watch - and everyone is happy! - every boat has a 12v supply - seems like you created your own bureaucracy!

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies so far.

I really am still stunned by the response, considering the unjustification for it, I have considered if there are any avenues for complaint, akthough after the approach taken a letter to Anglo Welsh is clearly a waste of time, after Mr Lawrences decision was based on a refusal to communicate to me.

My main annoyance is their own website said it was OK, so feel really badly treated bearing in mind I was only confirming I would be doing what was OK.

For the reason abovce are they not in breach of trading standards?

I guess I wont pursue it further, but then I wonder if I should as the fact thry are encouraging something they later do not allow is to be really not on, and no doubt it will affect, or dissappoint a lot of people.

Why are Tv's not standard anyway, all their competitors are.

You should be fine with Alvechurch though, its Viking Afloat they own, so there's no connection to Anglo Welsh

Dan

Hit these miserable foot-shooting idiots where it hurts, book elsewhere.

Edited by tomsk

If you already have a 12v TV why put yourself through so much bother - just say nothing, turn up with your telly, if needs be then sneak it on, plug it in and watch - and everyone is happy! - every boat has a 12v supply - seems like you created your own bureaucracy!

Thanks,

As I had asked about hiring a TV, as to start with I didn't know they had stopped doing this as they always did when Blakes rang me to say I couldnt I said no probs as I was happy to take my own.

I wasnt aware they'd pass that on, nor did I expect a problem.

I did consider taking it on anyway, as they would never know, but what if the boat did explode, there was a fire, the battery did flatten, although this is unlikeky and of course wouldn't happen it would be just my luck, or sods law, as A/W knew my initial enquiry and so on and the agent advised them I was taking my own (easy with hindsight to say why'd they bother, it shouldnt have mattered) Anglo Welsh could then have said it was my TV that caused a problem, I went against their advice etc etc.

These were the reasons why I didn't take this option, I still consider it fair enough and understandable, but thamks - it's always good to level the arguament balance up a bit I guess :)

Dan

I have considered if there are any avenues for complaint, although after the approach taken a letter to Anglo Welsh is clearly a waste of time ... I guess I won't pursue it further, but then I wonder if I should as the fact they are encouraging something they later do not allow is to be really not on, and no doubt it will affect, or dissappoint a lot of people.

I wouldn't worry Dan, I doubt you would gain anything.

However, it does sound like you have justification for your gripe with them, and it would appear that you have been treated shoddily. You have clearly not said anything defamatory or gone out of your way to harm their business, but members on here are capable of making their own decisions when it comes to where to place their custom, and you have probably done them a service by describing your own experience. Leave it at that.

I wouldn't worry Dan, I doubt you would gain anything.

However, it does sound like you have justification for your gripe with them, and it would appear that you have been treated shoddily. You have clearly not said anything defamatory or gone out of your way to harm their business, but members on here are capable of making their own decisions when it comes to where to place their custom, and you have probably done them a service by describing your own experience. Leave it at that.

Thanks Moley

That's what I was thinking

I was hoping the experience may mean Anglo Welsh change their website as a result anyway, though as I guess the correct statement of no TV provided, none permitted is not so good at selling holidays! :)

All the best

Dan

Interesting, the web site appears to have been changed.

Well done at least the power of your post has done something.

Sadly not - if you click the link inmy post it is still the same.

I do hope they change it though - got to be better than banning customers!! :)

Dan

Sadly not - if you click the link inmy post it is still the same.

I do hope they change it though - got to be better than banning customers!! :)

Dan

I cant see it?

It just says:

"Please note that these boats are not equipped with a television."

Have you refreshed your browser?

I cant see it?

It just says:

"Please note that these boats are not equipped with a television."

Have you refreshed your browser?

Thanks, you were right, I hadn't refreshed the page.

I'm really pleased they've changed it, and some good has come of the whole experience, that I have felt a bit upset about all day.

They've clearly acknowledged that some of the error or fault lay with themselves, though why they didn't just send me an email apolagising for the error and saying they would be changing it now it had been brought to their attention is beyond me.

Instead they refused to liase with me and removed my booking, and offended me for life!!

Shame I really wanted to hire ftom Eynsham, and was looking forward to it!

We've re-booked with Caversham Boat Services, through Blakes, after their superb service. I'm sure we'll still have a great time

Dan

This is really shocking, I have had nothing but good experiences from AW, including a major engine failure. They were canalside 45 minutes later, tried to sort it, realised that a new engine was needed, turned up the following morning with new engine, truck and hoist. A short time later we were on our way.

They were tolerant when I took a load of kids on one of their new boats.

I really am shocked.

Edited by Webchem

I know there are always two (at least!) sides to every story. Perhaps in this instance it was the manager of the local yard that sorted out your predicament so quickly Webchem, but Dan's experience has come from Head Office, and the head man at that.

For that reason it would appear to be pretty much inexcusable, and unless I am convinced by the other side of the story, I can't see how I can mention AW favourably. This sort of behaviour from arrogant bosses should not be tolerated these days, and I hope he loses a good bit of business from it.

Maybe AW's MD would like to respond?

Apart from not wanting to be seen dead in an Anglo Welsh boat with the weird paint scheme, we are currently trawling though the websites for a spring NB holiday.

I'll definately give AW a miss now.

I've a few friends who have been asking who I would recommend, I'll be adding AW to the 'dodgy' list :)

Chas Harden has certainly had lots of commendations - I'll be making further enquiries.

I think Anglo Welsh are under the same umbrella as Alvechurch Boat Hire. We are going again with Alvechurch in Septmember fopr our big family trip - we have had a few niggles over heaters and unpumped loos with Alvechurch but we have found them to be nice people to deal with.

Hi Christine.

Alvechurch are nothing to do with Anglo Welsh.

Although I haven't hired from Alvechurch, Christine, The Canal Boat that I have a share in is moored there, and I can only say that the times I have been there, I have been treated most handsomely by all the staff, from the girls behind the counter, the cleaning team and the maintenance staff.

Nipper

Hi Christine.

Alvechurch are nothing to do with Anglo Welsh.

Although I haven't hired from Alvechurch, Christine, The Canal Boat that I have a share in is moored there, and I can only say that the times I have been there, I have been treated most handsomely by all the staff, from the girls behind the counter, the cleaning team and the maintenance staff.

Nipper

Opps - I was typing my response under the desk while the Boss was about. I got a bit muddled with Viking Afloat ( them of the wierd paint scheme) I agree with you regarding Alvechurch staff - very good.

Ive been costing Chas Harden - looks to be a good deal so I may ring them tomorrow to book an Easter trip on their 2/3 berth 40' boat........getting all excited now!

edited for typo

Edited by Christine

Opps - I was typing my response under the desk while the Boss was about. I got a bit muddled with Viking Afloat ( them of the wierd paint scheme) I agree with you regarding Alvechurch staff - very good.

Ive been costing Chas Harden - looks to be a good deal so I may ring them tomorrow to book an Easter trip on their 2/3 berth 40' boat........getting all excited now!

edited for typo

Yea!

Hired one of them Yellow things a couple of years ago! Enjoyed the boat and the canal. Pity, but the boat wanted to stear into the bank whenever we came across a building site, must of thought it was a dumper truck!!!! :)

I'm sure you'l find the perfect boat.