Plumbing in a Washing Machine

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Our washing machine outlet has a dedicated 1 inch skin fitting and it works just fine. It's a full size Zanussi.

Ken

Much the best idea. Most sinks get blocked from time to time, and when they do, the water will overflow the sink.

Now, same topic different question. Before the waste water has done it's thing you have to get the water into the machine I have 15 mm plastic pipes? I know I need a 'T' piece for the cold water supply so that the washer connector can screw onto it.

I have tried Wickes and B&Q. They don't do them. I have looked on Screwfix site but would not know what they are called and I don't want to trawl all the way through 15+ pages of items.

Any ideas. The pipes I have are flo? Something or other.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Now, same topic different question. Before the waste water has done it's thing you have to get the water into the machine I have 15 mm plastic pipes? I know I need a 'T' piece for the cold water supply so that the washer connector can screw onto it.

I have tried Wickes and B&Q. They don't do them. I have looked on Screwfix site but would not know what they are called and I don't want to trawl all the way through 15+ pages of items.

Martyn

http://m.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-809t-washing-machine-valve-tee-15mm-x-15mm-x/76344?kpid=76344&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CPucmMWqu78CFYQIwwodqY4ABg

Use inserts for the plastic pipe as the compression fitting will def need them.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/floplast-flo-fit-polybutylene-insert-15mm-pack-of-50/31212?filtered=true

Edited by Robbo

Martyn

You can get washing machine valves in 'tee' format as well as to fit on the end of an open pipe end. Try BES.ltd.uk.

Ordinary compression fittings are fine on plastic pipe provided you fit the pipe support sleeves.

MtB

You can get washing machine valves in 'tee' format as well as to fit on the end of an open pipe end. Try BES.ltd.uk.

Ordinary compression fittings are fine on plastic pipe provided you fit the pipe support sleeves.

MtB

A plumber I know always uses "konex" style brass fittings (with inserts) on plastic pipe as he prefers them. I plumbed our kitchen refit at home that way on his advice. Not sure if it is any better or not; the plastic fittings on the boat seem fine!

Thank you for the above suggestions.

Possibly, foolishly, I was intent on finding plastic fittings to match the pipe work.

No problem, now I know plassy ones not available. Looks like we might have a washing machine up and running tomorrow.

Nugget!

Martyn

My full size washer connects direct to a skin fitting without probs for 4years if thats any help.

Mine too. I just connected the washing machine drain hose direct to a dedicated 19mm ID hosetail brass skin fitting. It's been fine for over 8 years. I can't help thinking that some people's plumbing solutions are a tad over-complicated.

Edited by blackrose

Just out of curiosity, why is anyone using P traps on a boat with a skin fitting? P traps are designed to keep sewer gases from coming up via the drain pipes. Obviously there are no sewer gasses with a skin fitting. Are they used to keep bugs out perhaps? Other than that they do seem to be a superfluous bit of plumbing.

I can't see how bugs are going to get into a washing machine through the drain hose. Perhaps people use traps because they don't realise they're on a boat and not in a house?

Edited by blackrose

I can't see how bugs are going to get into a washing machine through the drain hose. Perhaps people use traps because they don't realise they're on a boat and not in a house?

The sad fact is that very few people who fit out boats know that different rules apply. Earthing, engine vibration, condensation, the need for access, rust, waves, are just a few of the things that are often ignored.

My full size washer connects direct to a skin fitting without probs for 4years if thats any help.

Mine too, has done 7 years. You may need to make sure the machine water level is lower than the drain. Ours tending to drain the water out as it was filling until I pulled the hose up in a loop.