Brighton Marina

Rambling

Featured Posts

My mate has the mad idea that she might be able to live on Brighton marina, on a 40ft narrowboat. This idea & the sea fills me with horror, as I am quite sure that even if you could crane a narrow boat into the marina, surely this is not a safe option for a boat there.

She swears there are others(maybe a wide beam).

Can anyone confirm a) whether there are liveaboards on Brightin Marina B) has anyone ever been on this type of boat there.

I am from Brighton and when I go for visits home we sometimes go and eat down the marina. I have never seen a narrowboat/widebeam, but then I've not looked in every nook and cranny.

I think keeping a steel narrowboat in salt water throws up a few unusual maintenance problems, more knowledgeable people than me will be able to comment on that. I believe different annodes are required etc. Forum member 'Pauls new life' is just along the coast at Littlehampton and lives aboard a widebeam, although his is aluminium (and for sale!).

Safety wise I can't see a problem as the marina is well protected and the water is flat as a pancake. It's bloody wind in there though and a light boat would rock around a lot in high winds I would imagine.

Hi ya,

I've been into Brighton Marina a few times,

Like so many other marinas, I would say that there are certainly people that stay aboard there Boats 'A lot' within the Marina itself, Mainly Sea going craft of one description or another.

I have to say I can't recall any NBs or WBs there, as my boat attracted some interest when I took a visitors berth for a long w/end as to the casual eye, it looks Like a typical WB.

I did meet a few people, a cpl of girls sharing a yaht comes to mind, & they didn't mention anything about other NBs or similar.

But it was last year, and a lot could have changed since.

As far as it being safe, Oh yes Absolutely within the Marina !.

Very expensive though !.

As Junior said above, I'm at Littlehampton Marina, it's a bit Cheaper, There are available berths, There are also VERY cheap moorings available ferther up the River Arun at some £600 per year, based on a 41ft boat. However I 'Personally' wouldn't suggest them suitable for NBs, Mainly due to the speed of the Tide here which regularly tops 6kts.

(& Thanks Junior, Yes my boat is for sale complete with fully paid up Berth & License until April 2015 Details on the For Sale and Wanted Board).

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi 'Rambling',

I keep coming back to Brighton Marina as a real 'home from home'.

I've had steel and GRP boats without problem: but you've obviously got to keep on top of maintenance.

To point out the obvious, you would soon feel 'trapped' without a sea-going boat because there's nowhere to go!

And if you're paying by the foot for moorings, you would want the width of a broad-beam boat to have the living space.

There is a great community here; and the Premier team are brilliant.

T o n y

She obviously likes the idea of living in Brighton, so she needs to buy a suitable boat - something plastic with a sail or a decent engine. Keeping an iron coffin there is simply crazy. There is only one possible justification for owning a NB, and that is to cruise canals that are less than 7' wide.

I had a friend who lived in Brighton marina for a couple of years on a steel sailing boat, but it's not really suitable for a narrowboat unless you plan to epoxy the baseplate, rudder tube, etc, and never plan to move outside the marina entrance. But as far as I know it would be perfectly safe while moored up to the floating pontoons inside the marina.

Edited by blackrose

My mate has the mad idea that she might be able to live on Brighton marina, on a 40ft narrowboat. This idea & the sea fills me with horror, as I am quite sure that even if you could crane a narrow boat into the marina, surely this is not a safe option for a boat there.

She swears there are others(maybe a wide beam).

Can anyone confirm a) whether there are liveaboards on Brightin Marina cool.png has anyone ever been on this type of boat there.

Sorry to put a dampener but a quick Google on Brighton marina Web site:-

12. No Living Abo ard Boats

12.1 No one is permitted to reside aboard a Boat in the

Marina and Boats may not be used as houseboats.

This restriction does not prevent residence aboard a

Boat during a holiday. In any event, no one is permitted

to reside aboard any Boat for more than forty days in

any twelve month period unless with the express

written permission of the Marina Manager. At no time

should a Boat be hired out or rented to third parties for

residential purposes.

13. Co ndition of Boats

13.1 Boats must be kept seaworthy, capable of selfpropelled

Howard

Sorry to put a dampener but a quick Google on Brighton marina Web site:-

12. No Living Abo ard Boats

12.1 No one is permitted to reside aboard a Boat in the

Marina and Boats may not be used as houseboats.

This restriction does not prevent residence aboard a

Boat during a holiday. In any event, no one is permitted

to reside aboard any Boat for more than forty days in

any twelve month period unless with the express

written permission of the Marina Manager. At no time

should a Boat be hired out or rented to third parties for

residential purposes.

13. Co ndition of Boats

13.1 Boats must be kept seaworthy, capable of selfpropelled

Howard

You may be right but similar terms and conditions existed in a west London marina where I lived for 5 years. Other people I know still live there. Terms and conditions for the majority of non-residential moorings operate with such terms, but they are not always strictly applied.

You may be right but similar terms and conditions existed in a west London marina where I lived for 5 years. Other people I know still live there. Terms and conditions for the majority of non-residential moorings operate with such terms, but they are not always strictly applied.

Thats true, and many non-residential marinas turn a blind eye to some permanent residents who in effect act as unnoficial security. However, their tenure is uncertain if the marina changes it's mind. At least with an inland marina it is relatively easy to move on. With a 40ft narrowboat in Brighton Marina, however, it would be a much more costly exercise.

Howard

Thats true, and many non-residential marinas turn a blind eye to some permanent residents who in effect act as unnoficial security. However, their tenure is uncertain if the marina changes it's mind. At least with an inland marina it is relatively easy to move on. With a 40ft narrowboat in Brighton Marina, however, it would be a much more costly exercise.

Howard

Yes. it sounds like Rambling's friend is only really interested in accommodation, rather than boats (otherwise I don't think she would choose such an inappropriate boat for that location), in which case her tenure is probably of paramount importance to her.

Edited by blackrose

Something that's meant for the sea would be a better prospect. Something that you could wander off in on a nice day, and something a more favourable aspect for a marina charging by the foot, (shorter and fatter than a NB).

Ignoring the fact that liveaboards don't seem to be allowed according to the marina rules, I would totally agree with your reasoning abut a more suitable boat but I have a feeling that the OP's friend is not a boater and is really looking for an alternative (and cheaper) place to live. If that's the case, there must be cheaper ways of doing it than to live in a South Coast marina.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Ignoring the fact that liveaboards don't seem to be allowed according to the marina rules, I would totally agree with your reasoning abut a more suitable boat but I have a feeling that the OP's friend is not a boater and is really looking for an alternative (and cheaper) place to live. If that's the case, there must be cheaper ways of doing it than to live in a South Coast marina.

Howard

Howard

I suspect living in Brighton is part of the attraction - although Brighton marina isn't really in Brighton. Personally I think it's an ugly development dominated by a superstore and a multi-storey car park. I can't imagine being "trapped" in there on a narrowboat - one may as well be renting a flat in town.

There are several narrowboats...just down the coast at Newhaven.... (In fact..I 'think' a broker is currently selling one there ?) ...that is only 30 minute by number 12 bus that runs every 20 minutes in the daytime. ..and quite late into the night.

They sit in the tidal salt water...landing on mudflats at low water...

Newhaven will be way cheaper than Brighton which belongs to Premier Marinas.

The marina is not so well 'policed' so living on board is likely to be less of a problem.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

She obviously likes the idea of living in Brighton, so she needs to buy a suitable boat - something plastic with a sail or a decent engine. Keeping an iron coffin there is simply crazy. There is only one possible justification for owning a NB, and that is to cruise canals that are less than 7' wide.

Phylis/Naughty Cal will be impressed with that statement! :-)

I suspect living in Brighton is part of the attraction - although Brighton marina isn't really in Brighton. Personally I think it's an ugly development dominated by a superstore and a multi-storey car park. I can't imagine being "trapped" in there on a narrowboat - one may as well be renting a flat in town.

Asda at least have cheap fuel

There are several narrowboats...just down the coast at Newhaven.... (In fact..I 'think' a broker is currently selling one there ?) ...that is only 30 minute by number 12 bus that runs every 20 minutes in the daytime. ..and quite late into the night.

They sit in the tidal salt water...landing on mudflats at low water...

Newhaven will be way cheaper than Brighton which belongs to Premier Marinas.

The marina is not so well 'policed' so living on board is likely to be less of a problem.

Bob

And I saw one up at Lewes

Thanks for all those voices of reason. Yes she is only interested in accommodation and happens to love cozy narrowboats, but know absolutely nothing about them. She comes from Brighton, hence the idea.

With the stern area apparently converted into a bedroom with high vertical sides that might not fit under some canal bridges/tunnels (?), the owner probably didn't envisage ever bringing this boat back to its natural habitat. I wonder whether it may be up for sale because the marina told them to leave? The new owner may have to crane it out for transport to the Wey, or kit the boat out (as per Narrowdog to Carcassone) for the adventurous trip around the coast to London, only leaving harbour when there's a really nice weather forecast.

If Rambling's friend is determined to live on a boat in Brighton, wouldn't a seaworthy plastic boat of the same size be just as "cozy"? Probably cheaper to buy, and if the marina turf her out for breaking the rules at least she has a boat which can easily wander along to Worthing or Newhaven and so on in a marine equivalent of the people who move about reluctantly on the canals?

Assuming of course that she or a friend knows what they're doing at sea.

With the stern area apparently converted into a bedroom with high vertical sides that might not fit under some canal bridges/tunnels (?), the owner probably didn't envisage ever bringing this boat back to its natural habitat. I wonder whether it may be up for sale because the marina told them to leave? The new owner may have to crane it out for transport to the Wey, or kit the boat out (as per Narrowdog to Carcassone) for the adventurous trip around the coast to London, only leaving harbour when there's a really nice weather forecast.

If Rambling's friend is determined to live on a boat in Brighton, wouldn't a seaworthy plastic boat of the same size be just as "cozy"? Probably cheaper to buy, and if the marina turf her out for breaking the rules at least she has a boat which can easily wander along to Worthing or Newhaven and so on in a marine equivalent of the people who move about reluctantly on the canals?

Assuming of course that she or a friend knows what they're doing at sea.

An assumption too far, I suspect.