Looking for a Marina within 1 our drive of Winchester

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi, presently moored up on Trent & Mersey but want to get the boat nearer home - to approximately one hours drive of Winchester. Want to stay north of the Thames and have spotted Harefield Marina and Package Boat at Uxbridge.

Can anyone recommend others and give me their opinion of the two above please.

From a marina we would want, electric hook up, fairly close to a railway station, security, quiet, and a nice place.

Thanks in advance for any help

I can only think of the K&A marinas at Newbury.

Newbury Boat Company, Greenham Aisland for short boats and Ham Marina. Used to be owned by Bill Fisher but now separate concerns.

Martyn

Aisland is now an Island.

Edited by Nightwatch

We stayed at Newbury boat company recently for a week. If you can get a berth - thoroughly recommended. Really nice people, quiet spot yet near main roads and shopping

Ham Mill is run by Emma Fernley and her husband.

Newbury Boat Co. by Pete and Steph Holland.

Greenham Island by Mark Wiltshire

You could also consider Frouds Bridge Marina near Aldermaston.

ABC at Aldermaston also have moorings.

Burfield Island Boat Club just outside Reading.

Even the new one below the Caen Hill is drivable within an hour but takes a long time to get the boat anywhere.

Newbury is a longish day to the Cunning Man pub at Burfield and then two hours onto the Thames from there.

Ken

We used to live in Southampton and drive up to the boat all the time before we started living on board and had a berth at Newbury (Ham Mill) Boat company..

It used to take us 45 minutes on a good day and a hour when the A34 was stuffed... so Winchester you could probably do in 1/2 an hour..

I guess it is not North of the Thames though which is what you stipulated

Pyrford Marina (near Woking) on The Wey is probably about an hour from Winchester, too.

MtB

Pyrford - have you seen the prices! I would moor there as it's close to home but I won't pay those prices.

I was at Harefield Marina but have moved just out to an offside in line mooring.

Nothing wrong with Harefield - slightly tatty - they need to get in amongst the bushes and have a good clearout - and sort out their toilets and Elsan facility. NB they just added more electricity to the pontoon berths. They are fairly laid back there. The water can be quite deep so you might want to ensure you have a means of getting out if you fall in - like a rope ladder on your boat.

Edited by mark99

We live in Petersfield and used to moor at Devizes Marina, one hour and twenty minutes and a nice easy run so it would be about an hour from Winchester lovely quiet marina and beautiful lock free stretch of canal perfect weekend boating. We have also moored at Frouds Bridge Marina Aldermaston nice and close to the Thames and very reasonably priced considering it proximity to the Thames, only drawback it the fast flowing River Kennet in a wet year, but not an issue if you only boat in the summer, a lovely marina and lovely people, Mick and Sue in charge.