If I do this, will they laugh me out of the room?

Marjorie

Featured Posts

So, in my quest to decide whether I want to buy used or new, I have drawn a picture of what I think is my 'ideal' layout, and put together a list of what I think comprises a solid 'mechanical' set up based on my needs.

If I were to send both of those things to some boat builders and ask them to critique/ recommend alternatives/ quote against my spec would they all think I was some sort of rookie lunatic?

Do boat builders generally 'do' email? (don't laugh - we have an EXCELLENT welder on our marina, but I'm not sure he even knows what email is - you get hold of him by milling about until he appears, or you spot sparks flying in the distance and head in that direction).

It depends what the layout is! Is it well out of the ordinary, or a slight variation on what one might call a "standard" layout, which is from bow to stern:

lounge

dinette (if the boat is big enough)

kitchen

bathroom

bedroom

If the boat is a traditional stern with engine room, then you can add in at the end:

engine room

boatman's cabin or other space here

Reverse layout is a general term for many variations, but the most popular seems to be:

bedroom

bathroom

lounge

dinette

kitchen

They'll probably ignore you. Boatbuilders must get loads of emails from dreamy tyrekickers every day

A phone call will be more effective, a visit even more so

Richard

Yes, I know Hoo Marina, and it's neighbours,

Always busy, and can get most thongs done,

A proper Boat Yard / Marina Hybrid.

Fantastic Cruising ground as well.

There's plenty of people who find plenty of things wrong with it and the way it is run, but I think it's great here - I've learnt loads about things I didn't even know existed before, loads about myself and what I am capable of if I don't freak out about it, and I've made some excellent friends. Can't ask fairer than that!

Edited by Marjorie

It depends what the layout is! Is it well out of the ordinary, or a slight variation on what one might call a "standard" layout, which is from bow to stern:

lounge

kitchen

bathroom

bedroom

If the boat is a traditional stern with engine room, then you can add in at the end:

engine room

Reverse layout is a general term for many variations, but the most popular seems to be:

bedroom

bathroom

lounge

dinette

kitchen

Sometimes playing about with the order can make a big difference to the feel of the boat, especially in small boats where space is a premium. We're

lounge

kitchen

bedroom / dinette

bathroom

which means that the parts that take up space and create visual breaks are at one end. This gives the boat an open airy feel which means that in a 40' boat with a 25' cabin feels more spacious than some bigger boats.

lounge

kitchen

bathroom

bedroom

engine room

bedroom

bathroom

lounge

dinette

kitchen

It's not particularly extraordinary - I think I probably want a 'standard' reverse layout, with less fit out than usual (based on the narrowboats I have seen), if that makes some semblance of sense.

Pretty sure it's a semi-trad with:

bedroom (built in bed and wardrobe - I'd like to find some reclaimed doors, or make them myself) but I'll modify a short corner cabinet and some shelves I already have for the rest of the storage)

bathroom (I don't know, just a bathroom. Quite like the idea of having it fully tiled, if I get to choose, but might be cost prohibitive. Full size quad shower, pump out loo, sink (obviously))

saloon ('open plan', with a freestanding gateleg table tucked under a gunwale and sofabed of some description - I want to modify an armoire and a shallow cabinet I already have to make the 'built in storage')

galley (not that interesting either, except I'd like to use my existing lpg cooker and a slightly modified sideboard as the cabinets down one side)

Of course I could do all of this to a second hand boat too, but it seems prudent to at least cost out a new build vs. the cost of modifying something existing.

They'll probably ignore you. Boatbuilders must get loads of emails from dreamy tyrekickers every day

Are you calling me a dreamy tyrekicker?

I'm flattered wub.png

Dont worry about what they think about you,let them worry about what you think about them.

Oh yeah. You're right.

clapping.gif

Some are good at email, some aren't. I would suggest a call to them, followed by an email with the details, perhaps followed a couple of days later with another call to check they received the email. Expect a ball park figure first, as a thorough quote requires a very thorough spec, (which is rarely given) and quite a bit of time, especially for a non standard boat. I never did full and absolute quotes until we were near contract.

Are you calling me a dreamy tyrekicker?

I'm flattered wub.png

Nope, you seem to have your head screwed on right. How youconvey that0////////////////+**dax\45RRRRRRR

Apologies, I am wrestling for .kj puoh2ssessip-008oion of the keyboard with aq young cat

Richard

Some are good at email, some aren't. I would suggest a call to them, followed by an email with the details, perhaps followed a couple of days later with another call to check they received the email. Expect a ball park figure first, as a thorough quote requires a very thorough spec, (which is rarely given) and quite a bit of time, especially for a non standard boat. I never did full and absolute quotes until we were near contract.

It's worth a shot isn't it, if some don't reply, then they don't.

It's worth a shot isn't it, if some don't reply, then they don't.

Oddly, this is about allowing a boatbuilder to choose you as a client, not the other way round. Good boat builders are always busy and dont want to take on flaky or difficult clients. Being left with a half built, unique boat is a disaster for them

I have the cat temporarily under control as he bites my fingers

Richard

It's not particularly extraordinary - I think I probably want a 'standard' reverse layout, with less fit out than usual (based on the narrowboats I have seen), if that makes some semblance of sense.

Pretty sure it's a semi-trad with:

bedroom (built in bed and wardrobe - I'd like to find some reclaimed doors, or make them myself) but I'll modify a short corner cabinet and some shelves I already have for the rest of the storage)

bathroom (I don't know, just a bathroom. Quite like the idea of having it fully tiled, if I get to choose, but might be cost prohibitive. Full size quad shower, pump out loo, sink (obviously))

saloon ('open plan', with a freestanding gateleg table tucked under a gunwale and sofabed of some description - I want to modify an armoire and a shallow cabinet I already have to make the 'built in storage')

galley (not that interesting either, except I'd like to use my existing lpg cooker and a slightly modified sideboard as the cabinets down one side)

Of course I could do all of this to a second hand boat too, but it seems prudent to at least cost out a new build vs. the cost of modifying something existing.

What length boat is this planned for? Having had both kinds of layout (standard and reverse) I'd say a reverse layout is slightly less space efficient.

What length boat is this planned for? Having had both kinds of layout (standard and reverse) I'd say a reverse layout is slightly less space efficient.

Somewhere between 54 and 58 I think (I'm not sure what exactly I need to make me commit to a length. Maybe a price!).

How is a reverse layout less space efficient?

I like it mostly because it makes sense in my tiny brain to have all the 'working' bits up one end, and we always used the back (kitchen) door when I was a kid - I realise these are not particularly good reasons.

I can't really explain how, but it just is! Logic says that its the same length so its the same space, but the feeling you get when inside one, then inside the other, suggests its more spacey in a standard layout. Maybe one explanation is that the lounge, being fully within the boat in a reverse layout, doesn't 'borrow' space from outside when its warm and the doors are open.

Another aspect might be, that the area to the side of each of the front/rear steps can only be used for storage in a reverse layout (ie cupboards) but in a normal layout, at least in the front, this is a good place for the stove and telly. And in the rear, they can be chest level eg wardrobes or similar. And the steps in a normal rear can go transversely, leaving the space a couple of feet in for the bed, or space around it, whereas in the reverse the steps are normally in line and go into the kitchen with units each side. In theory it would be possible to have a rear offset door and steps, and a U shaped kitchen, in practice I've never actually seen it - maybe there's a logistical reason its not done, like the swim or tumblehome intrudes too much.

It's lovely to be able to sit in the cabin with the front doors open, watching the world outside through the front of the boat

Richard

I can't really explain how, but it just is! Logic says that its the same length so its the same space, but the feeling you get when inside one, then inside the other, suggests its more spacey in a standard layout. Maybe one explanation is that the lounge, being fully within the boat in a reverse layout, doesn't 'borrow' space from outside when its warm and the doors are open.

Another aspect might be, that the area to the side of each of the front/rear steps can only be used for storage in a reverse layout (ie cupboards) but in a normal layout, at least in the front, this is a good place for the stove and telly. And in the rear, they can be chest level eg wardrobes or similar. And the steps in a normal rear can go transversely, leaving the space a couple of feet in for the bed, or space around it, whereas in the reverse the steps are normally in line and go into the kitchen with units each side. In theory it would be possible to have a rear offset door and steps, and a U shaped kitchen, in practice I've never actually seen it - maybe there's a logistical reason its not done, like the swim or tumblehome intrudes too much.

These are true things.

I am frustrated that my attempts to alter the space/time continuum in such a way that I can simultaneously have a 'frontways' and a reverse layout and enjoy the best of all worlds have so far resulted in failure.

I've put a call in to Schrodinger's cat, but I'm not 100% sure if he's still alive...

Nope, you seem to have your head screwed on right. How youconvey that0////////////////+**dax\45RRRRRRR

Apologies, I am wrestling for .kj puoh2ssessip-008oion of the keyboard with aq young cat

Richard

Kitten pictures please. Thanks in advance.

Hello

A "good" boatbuilder will take your ideas on board. They will talk to you about your ideas. They will point out the pitfalls and advantages with you about your ideas, whether that is by email, the phone or face to face. Obviously face to face meetings are far better for both of you. A good boatbuilder will make the compromises you want if they are practical and you both have come an agreement on those compromises. A good boat builder should be very aware that what finally comes out from his hands will decide his reputation so he isn't going to incorporate all your "crazy" ideas Bottom line is that it is going to be your boat and your home and, absolutely most importantly, it is your money that is paying for the project. I'm afraid that if any "good" boatbuilder is not prepared to do those things then, if it was my money, I would be going to find another "good" boatbuilder.

Pete

Hello

A "good" boatbuilder will take your ideas on board. They will talk to you about your ideas. They will point out the pitfalls and advantages with you about your ideas, whether that is by email, the phone or face to face.

Pete

They are unlikely to do very much work based on an initial email - and why should they. It's probably an hour or two to answer properly and they have no idea if this is a job or a fantasy

Richard

Kitten pictures please. Thanks in advance.

Lister:

lister-6th-june.jpg

Bolinder:

bolinder-6th-june.jpg

Perkin:

perkin-6th-june.jpg

Bolinder and Perkin were busy ravaging Sue's sewing room, so Perkin's photo is the best I could manage

bolinder-6th-june-2.jpg

Richard

We would sometimes get a few enquiries a day, so no, you can't possibly do a very thorough response, all coated, for what is usually a general spec with little detail or commitment. Especially as a small building company of just 2!! You'd never get a boat out! Most were just pie in the sky enquiries too, so you will likely start with a standard price per foot to standard spec type costing. People that then followed it up with a request to meet, were then usually the serious ones.