Mooring around Mancetter, Atherstone or beyond

p6rob

Featured Posts

Yes, thanks Pete it was areally good evening for it. Beer's on me one day.

I'll buy one for you too river dragonfly. That's if you could share pub space with a lager drinker, I can't acquire the taste for proper beer.

Yes, thanks Pete it was areally good evening for it. Beer's on me one day.

No problem, glad I could be of assistance. Let me know when you're passing Alvecote and I'll share a beer with you cheers.gif

It always amazes me that people who arrive at a popular pub and find there's nowhere to moor immediately blame it on cc'ers hogging the moorings.

Could it not be that it's a popular pub and other boaters have got there first? Some of these spots have been named and we've found plenty of space for us in the early afternoon. You make your choices - if you want a full day cruising and moor up late evening the popular places will be filled. If, like us, you take a more leisurely approach to cruising and moor up in the early afternoon you'll find a different world of mooring opportunities.

Oh, and you might find that the popular pub has a semi-permanent occupant who has a paid for mooring nearby, but prefers to leave his/her boat outside the pub.

Stereotypes are for people who aren't very clever.

• Greenie 4

river dragonfly, on 02 Jun 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:

Wonderd how long it would be before you or that other know all would appear! Am out of here !

Now let me think, I wonder who that is aimed at??

<Ponders>

We have a friend with house/parking in atherstone will ask if you are still stuck. Otherwise we will see you on the flight on saturday (weather permitting) Pm me if you still need parking

sorry ... just read page 2 ............. presume you are ok now . sorry for being an idiot

Hi Tagula Blue, No worries. to be honest I've been feeling like an idiot myself lately. The mooring here is great. Despite all the warnings I'd had, no trouble at all so far. - Result.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Rob

It always amazes me that people who arrive at a popular pub and find there's nowhere to moor immediately blame it on cc'ers hogging the moorings.

Could it not be that it's a popular pub and other boaters have got there first? Some of these spots have been named and we've found plenty of space for us in the early afternoon. You make your choices - if you want a full day cruising and moor up late evening the popular places will be filled. If, like us, you take a more leisurely approach to cruising and moor up in the early afternoon you'll find a different world of mooring opportunities.

You have made a valid point Ange and I can see where you are coming from.

But I can also sympathise with hirers who probably don't want to moor up every day in the early afternoon. If they did so they might only get a few miles from the hire base on their holiday. And I am sure that many boat owners with permanent moorings also want to make the most of their limited time afloat and do some full days boating.

But I can also sympathise with hirers who probably don't want to moor up every day in the early afternoon. If they did so they might only get a few miles from the hire base on their holiday. And I am sure that many boat owners with permanent moorings also want to make the most of their limited time afloat and do some full days boating.

I understand what you're saying Phil. The problem is there simply aren't enough mooring spots in the popular places. We do tend to moor in out of the way locations in deference to the hire boaters and holidaymakers (for want of a better word for those that have limited time to use their boat) because we're very aware that we're fortunate but we don't have to, and we're not breaking any rules if we don't, provided we comply with the cc terms we signed up for and the local mooring restrictions.

My point is still that you can't assume that because there's no space at the mooring you want it's because of cc'ers overstaying. There are a lot of retired folk on the canal system that cruise the whole summer and prefer to have an early start and moor up early - you can't prohibit them from doing so and why shouldn't they?

Folk need to understand the equation long day cruising = limited mooring spots when you decide to stop. Anyway, you can usually find a mooring not that far away, particularly if you're not afraid to jump to shore and walking's good exercise :)

This is probably down to the fact that in the last 10 years there has been the best part of 10,000 more licensed boats and no net new visitor moorings. CRTs answer is to reduce the stay times and introduce charging rather than create more visitor moorings. I think at popular visitor moorings it should be come acceptable practise to breast up against other boats.